Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My newest Blu-ray additions

• 26-08-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I don't have a lot of Blu-Ray discs..could count my entire BR library on one hand but saw a deal in HMV that seemed pretty good...any 3 (from a decent selection) for €25 or aby 5 for €35.

I got Taxi Driver, Drive and Jurassic Park and have to say, am looking forward to watching all of them in HD goodness..

Is this a good deal? I was going to get There Will Be Blood but decided on a good old fashioned adventure instead with JP. Back to the Future 1 is there to pick too but you can get the entire trilogy for €15 (as is the Bourne trilogy)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Picked up Source Code, 28 Weeks Later & the original Matrix on BluRay yesterday.

Well happy. BluRays look fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Have around 90 blu ray films and 12 boxsets including Alien, Star Wars, The Bourne Trilogy, Back to the Future, Rome etc. Blu Rays that should be in every collection are Wall-e, Blade Runner, Avatar, Band of Brothers and Inception. They look and sound amazing on BR. My recent additions were Jurrasic Park Trilogy and The Incredibles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My latest Blu-rays are Love Exposure, Himizu, Cold Fish and Confessions. Amazing films. And can be got for a really good price direct from their distributor Third Window:

http://shop.thirdwindowfilms.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of Third Window, I'll be putting down a pre-order for their Tetsuo 1+2 boxset and Kotoko Blu-Rays coming out in October. Tetsuo isn't the best looking film of all time by any stretch, but a lot of care seems to have gone into the transfer and package. I've heard really good things about Kotoko too.

The only Blu-Rays I've picked up recently is the superb Sansho Dayu / Gion Bayashi double set and In the Realm of the Senses. The former is just wonderful, and they've done a beyond excellent job restoring what were clearly quite damaged prints. I wasn't initially convinced older films were what Blu-Ray was made for, but the years have happily proven that to be completely untrue :) In the Realm... well, it's not necessarily the kind of film where more detail is always a good thing :P But it's an excellent transfer that really brings out the bold, clever colour design. Plus, y'know, all that weird sex stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Jaws blu ray is released next Friday and has been well received already in the States, a must buy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Speaking of Third Window, I'll be putting down a pre-order for their Tetsuo 1+2 boxset and Kotoko Blu-Rays coming out in October. Tetsuo isn't the best looking film of all time by any stretch, but a lot of care seems to have gone into the transfer and package. I've heard really good things about Kotoko too.
    I'm looking forward to Kotoko as well. I haven't seen Tetsuo - is worth buying sight unseen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Over the last few months I got Yi Yi, Crumb, Secret Sunshine, Vivre Sa Vie, Blow Out, Videodrome and the Stan Brakhage Anthology on the Criterion label. I only got around to Crumb, Videodrome and some of the Brakhage box set before my region A player packed up (worst piece of equipment I've ever shelled out 100+ euro for), woulda ordered 5 more of 'em but I need a replacement player now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm looking forward to Kotoko as well. I haven't seen Tetsuo - is worth buying sight unseen?

Hard to say. I've only seen bits and pieces of it myself (have a friend who was obsessed with it). Always meant to watch the full thing. It is niche, uber low budget Japanese cyberpunk so it ain't for everyone. It is almost Eraserhead like in it's nightmarish visuals and sound design though. Not a blanket recommendation then, but at the very least a curio.

Hard to say. I've only seen bits and pieces of it myself (have a friend who was obsessed with it). Always meant to watch the full thing. It is niche, uber low budget Japanese cyberpunk so it ain't for everyone. It is almost Eraserhead like in it's nightmarish visuals and sound design though. Not a blanket recommendation then, but at the very least a curio.
    I'll check out the DVD first so, cheers.
    e_e wrote: »
    Over the last few months I got Yi Yi, Crumb, Secret Sunshine, Vivre Sa Vie, Blow Out, Videodrome and the Stan Brakhage Anthology on the Criterion label. I only got around to Crumb, Videodrome and some of the Brakhage box set before my region A player packed up (worst piece of equipment I've ever shelled out 100+ euro for), woulda ordered 5 more of 'em but I need a replacement player now.
    What are you considering as a replacement? I need a multi-region Blu-ray player badly. It seems the Toshiba bdx3200 can be be made multi-region easily enough, so I was leaning toward that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

That's exactly the one I was thinking.

This one is best avoided. Honestly I'm scared to put another disc in it because of the loud grinding sound it makes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement