Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new city..

• 26-08-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Taking away the current financial state and looking to the future could it be feasible to develop a new urban center.
    A planned city, Incorporating a well developed road,rail and underground network.
    Aim for high rise construction and completely shut off urban sprawl.

As i see it the current main 4 have all major flaws mainly of course as a result of growth over hundreds of years and unfortunately many bad decisions made in recent years.

Where should this new metropolis be located or is our island too small for a new large city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Who could we have move in there? There are plenty of empty houses in this country as it is.

We should make a city under the sea, where there are no constraints on science, art or surgery. There's no way this could go wrong ...

There is a new Simcity out early next year:
    http://www.simcity.com/en_US
    It is about the closest we will get in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

was already tried in ballumun but failed because once it was built the government didnt give a fiddlers fart about services for the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

was already tried in ballumun but failed because once it was built the government didnt give a fiddlers fart about services for the area

id say that would be lethal,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Taking away the current financial state and looking to the future could it be feasible to develop a new urban center.
    A planned city, Incorporating a well developed road,rail and underground network.

As i see it the current main 4 have all major flaws mainly of course as a result of growth over hundreds of years and unfortunately many bad decisions made in recent years.

Where should this new metropolis be located or is our island too small for a new large city?

The main 4? Only one I can think of is Dublin. Belfast if your including N Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

Where would it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

irish-stew wrote: »
    The main 4? Only one I can think of is Dublin. Belfast if your including N Ireland.

No need for ignorance they clearly mean Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Yes, the Chinese have been at this for the last ten years, of course they have a huge budget and no constraints but they've built some impressive modern cities from scratch.

If you can build the city based on practical issues it's straight forward enough but in Ireland it would be drowned in political bull****.
    Who could we have move in there? There are plenty of empty houses in this country as it is.
    That's not the point, the city would be more efficient and a much better place to live, you'd be looking to replace current urban areas with these new news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Where would it go?

Thought we already set up a few in Oz? Lols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We need a good war. Get Dublin flattened then ,hey presto, no planning restrictions, hello modern city.

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Thought we already set up a few in Oz? Lols
    And USA....UK....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

We need a good war. Get Dublin flattened then ,hey presto, no planning restrictions, hello modern city.

What's a good war????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

What's a good war????

The opposite of a bad one. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its not really ignorance. In most countries these, including Dublin would be considered a large town. Our planning laws just require you to have a University and a Catherdral for city status consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Aren't Tallaght and Craigavon bigger than the last 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wherever we build this new city as long as we build it on Rock and Roll I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What's a good war????

One that levels the city we want to modernise and maybe includes a bit of genocide to reduce our populaion of "undesireables" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Its not really ignorance. In most countries these, including Dublin would be considered a large town. Our planning laws just require you to have a University and a Catherdral for city status consideration.

Which countries would consider dublin as a large town? I dont think you will find many!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No they dont and havent for a long time. Theres no official requirements for a city. We have 5 official cities and 1 historical so it can keep the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

McGaggs wrote: »
    Aren't Tallaght and Craigavon bigger than the last 3?

Craigavon combined with the population of some nearby towns is still smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A load of mice living in a white elephant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

So Waterford being forgot by the rest of the county, as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

There's 1 city in Ireland. (ROI)

The rest are towns that dress up their title the same way some bin men call themselves waste management engineers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Once it has a monorail, I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

PieForPi wrote: »

The rest are towns that dress up their title the same way some bin men call themselves waste management engineers.

You're personal opinion is wrong, look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Its not really ignorance. In most countries these, including Dublin would be considered a large town.

Get over yourselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nonsense. A city can be any size. Look at other countries and their official cities. Cities can have 20 million people or 2 thousand people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

Girls, don't get upset because I didn't play pretend with your dressed up little towns. I'm sure they've all lovely bottoms, except Limerick's who we all know is covered in blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Girls, don't get upset because I didn't play pretend with your dressed up little towns. I'm sure they've all lovely bottoms, except Limerick's who we all know is covered in blood.

Ah shure Dublin is a backwater compared to most European capitals.

Fucking culchie Dubs. Ye must look like a pack of straw chewing droolers when ye go abroad.

DUCWIDT?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Could they not just start building high rise buildings in Dublin? Then slowly and gradually start tearing down all the apartment buildings outside the city centre, with their current residents moving to new apartments in the city? Siptu have planning permission to tear down their current building and replace it with a new high rise building, and U2's tower got planning permission years ago so I don't think there's anything stopping the development of further high rise buildings in the city centre?

Mind you if you were to build a new city it would be best to do it around the centre of Ireland, and have a new airport there. This means that wherever you are travelling to from the airport your journey time will be reletively small, compared to the current international airport which is in an inconvenient position for the majority of Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:

Pieforpi don't post in this thread again.

No more of the dub vs. everywhere else crap from here on out please.

Fair warning.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Planned towns/cities are always a terrible idea. I give you Shannon or Milton Keynes as examples.

The best cities are always ones that grow organically and as such have their own culture/community/identity. You can't create a culture out of thin air.

Planned towns/cities are always a terrible idea. I give you Shannon or Milton Keynes as examples.

The best cities are always ones that grow organically and as such have their own culture/community/identity. You can't create a culture out of thin air.

Planned cities like Melbourne regularly get voted as the best places in the world to live.

• Advertisement

delad wrote: »
    Planned cities like Melbourne regularly get voted as the best places in the world to live.

I have lived in Melbourne. The city has no discernible soul. It's all horrible suburb after horrible suburb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Planning of cities has been happening for century's it's just that the original planners often don't factor in how modern advances will change things. The other thing is you can't find out what doesn't work until you try it. So all our failed plan cities are lessons towards new cities. The fact is also that there is major planning in the UK and most European cities, everything is planned out to the finest detail and the only thing organic about the growth is the driving factors behind the building.

I have lived in Melbourne. The city has no discernible soul. It's all horrible suburb after horrible suburb.

Thats just like, your opinion man. I lived in the city for 3 years and it was the best place I've ever been. The city is an absolute joy to live in. Getting anywhere is so easy. Everything has its own little area and place. There is an arts district, a sports district with all their stadiums, even the shopping areas are well laid out with all computer shops together, all clothes shops together etc.. Each of the suburbs have their own unique feel and vibe. Everything just works as it should in Melbourne.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Planning of cities has been happening for century's it's just that the original planners often don't factor in how modern advances will change things. The other thing is you can't find out what doesn't work until you try it. So all our failed plan cities are lessons towards new cities. The fact is also that there is major planning in the UK and most European cities, everything is planned out to the finest detail and the only thing organic about the growth is the driving factors behind the building.

Planning the expansion of existing cities is a different thing to creating a new one out of thin air.

Thats just like, your opinion man. I lived in the city for 3 years and it was the best place I've ever been. The city is an absolute joy to live in. Getting anywhere is so easy. Everything has its own little area and place. There is an arts district, a sports district with all their stadiums, even the shopping areas are well laid out with all computer shops together, all clothes shops together etc.. Each of the suburbs have their own unique feel and vibe. Everything just works as it should in Melbourne.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree. Actually is Melbourne even a planned city in the true sense of the word? I though Canberra was but Melbourne not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

And the trams are free. :p

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I vote for the hill of tara. We already fscked it up, might as well finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

I vote for the hill of tara. We already fscked it up, might as well finish the job.

Or you could just slap up a few skyscrapers in Navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

A certain phenomena is happening ATM, the growth of the Mega City a city of 10 million plus mainly happening in the Far East. But you also have dying cities which is happening in North America and parts of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Colmustard wrote: »
    A certain phenomena is happening ATM, the growth of the Mega City a city of 10 million plus mainly happening in the Far East. But you also have dying cities which is happening in North America and parts of Europe.
    Dredd is gonna kick our asses for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Dredd is gonna kick our asses for sure.

They could do with an army of Dredds in Mexico city 22 million people and a right crime ridden kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

galwayrush wrote: »
    Craigavon combined with the population of some nearby towns is still smaller.

Couldn't quite remember, and was too lazy to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Though I wouldn't call them a terrible idea, you're right that planned cities/towns lack a cultural identity. It's the same if you build a new town, or if you greatly increase the population of a village, or even build a new large-scale city-district. Loads of people all move in at the same time. Generally all their kids leave the house at the same time, then they all die at the same time. Yes this is a huge exaggeration, but it's not too far off the truth. The result is that it usually takes at least a generation for these new areas to mesh with the existing hinterland.

So while there are a fair few negatives to building new towns/areas, let's not forget that populations are still rising and these people need somewhere to go. We can either do it estate-by-estate (sprawl, essentially), or we can plan. I'm not saying that new towns are universally well-planned, not in the least. But I do think that we will be seeing more of them in the future. (Most likely in the form of huge expansions of existing villages -- like Milton Keynes.) The trick then is to make sure it's done right, and not just thrown together with fancy marketing, like Adamstown.

Advertisement