Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did you have for breakfast thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Toasted slice of Mammy's brown bread with lashings of raspberry jam and a cup of tea.

I love my Mammy's brown bread ;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'll just leave this here... :)

village-breakfast.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here... :)

village-breakfast.jpg

where, what, why, when??! yum!

I needed a hangover breakfast on Saturday, and rather than give a hotel €10 for a mediocre buffet, we headed to the Village at Lyons where my sister is getting married soon. They have a "breakfast stand for two" for €18.50, which we sat outside and ate in the sunshine over a period of an hour or so.

It was every bit as good as it looks. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say that wins the prize for most fabulous breakfast ever .....*drools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I haven't seen a spider in my apartment for around 2 years. The last one was so big that I needed to borrow a shovel to bury the body! :eek: Anyway, last night I caught a huge fecker (*shudder*) & sent him packing out the window.

"What has all this to do with breakfast?" I hear you ask. Well, this morning I decided to do a bit of a fry-up with some lovely local smoked bacon, Italian tomatoes & organic eggs.

I stuck the pan on the hob & went to prepare the bits & pieces & stick on the kettle, etc. When I returned to the hob I could see something moving in the pan. Sure enough, it was another new houseguest leaping about in the oil on the hot pan like MC Hammer on speed. I got most of him out, but after using the last of my oil I had to make do with hoping I got him all.

So, I had a very tasty brekky of bacon, tomato & egg with lots of black pepper to disguise any 'unexpected elements' that may have still been present. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

So, I had a very tasty brekky of bacon, tomato & egg with lots of black pepper to disguise any 'unexpected elements' that may have still been present. :)

I always put lots of black pepper in when cooking mushrooms, partly because I like black pepper, and partly because I'm never quite sure that all the compost has been brushed off.

Did I read somewhere recently that mushrooms are now being grown in a medium that doesn't need to be removed?

As this is a breakfast thread, I must make it clear that my weekend fried breakfasts always include mushrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

nompere wrote: »
    I always put lots of black pepper in when cooking mushrooms, partly because I like black pepper, and partly because I'm never quite sure that all the compost has been brushed off.

Did I read somewhere recently that mushrooms are now being grown in a medium that doesn't need to be removed?

As this is a breakfast thread, I must make it clear that my weekend fried breakfasts always include mushrooms.

The big flat mushrooms are the best for breakfast. So much more flavour than the smaller varieties. Peel them instead of washing them.....

I got most of him out, but after using the last of my oil I had to make do with hoping I got him all.

I'd have just had grilled bacon and tomato with poached egg. If no grill then I've have fried in butter or I'd have rendered some bacon fat to fry everything else in.

No fecking way would I risk eating anything got to do with a spider :eek:

Let us know if you develop any speshul powers though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

The big flat mushrooms are the best for breakfast. So much more flavour than the smaller varieties. Peel them instead of washing them.....

It's (almost) always big flat ones, and they're (almost) always peeled and brushed. I generally remove the stalk as well - ever since my father showed me when I was young that there's sometimes a worm to be found between the stalk and the cup. Those were real field mushrooms, picked in a local field, but the memory of that little worm has never quite gone!

Wile baking they get anointed with herbs and butter as well as black pepper, and then they normally cook gently for about 45 minutes. The long slow cooking is because much as I love mushrooms of all sorts, I do find them a bit indigestible unless they are well cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

To the guy or gal who posted the tip about making perfect runny eggs, thank you! Did this first thing this morning and wow, just wow.

This is an important life skill!

Toulouse wrote: »
    I'd have just had grilled bacon and tomato with poached egg. If no grill then I've have fried in butter or I'd have rendered some bacon fat to fry everything else in.

No fecking way would I risk eating anything got to do with a spider :eek:

Let us know if you develop any speshul powers though!

Ahem! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

nompere wrote: »
    It's (almost) always big flat ones, and they're (almost) always peeled and brushed.

Read this too quickly and thought you were still talking about spiders! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Greek yoghurt, berries, toasted almonds and a drizzle of honey - yum :pac:

f5abef.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My coconut scone's didn't rise very well, but are delicious with my dad's rhubarb and ginger jam.

photo2_zpsbb68bc64.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

yum kylith, recipe please?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 correa cristobal

Arepas! It's a venezuelan dish that's pretty simple to make. I made them deep fried, but can be normally grilled on a pan. And you stuff it with whatever you want from cheese to pulled meats (chicken, port, beef), or any sausage style you want.

snowgal wrote: »
    yum kylith, recipe please?!:)

Sure thing!
    2 cups self raising flour (or plain flour and 3tsp baking powder)
    1tsp salt
    0.25 cup coconut oil (room temp)
    0.75 cup coconut milk (the liquid stuff in a carton, apparently, not the thick stuff in a can) (I used normal milk which would be why they weren't very coconutty)

Sieve flour (or flour and baking powder) into a bowl, add salt. Rub in the coconut oil until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Mix in the coconut milk (or other nut milk, or regular milk) until it forms a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface, roll to about half an inch thick and cut. Bake for about 10-15 mins.

My research tells me that mine probably didn't rise because 1) I kneaded the dough for a bit and 2) I twisted my cutter, which is apparently a big no-no.

As for the jam, the best I can do is - get some rhubarb and some ginger and make jam out of them.

I should probably have added - a cup is 250ml volume. Just in case you're not used to American measures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Porridge with banana, blueberries, Greek yoghurt, cocoa powder & cinnamon. None of which I could taste, bar a sharp yoghurt tang, because I am a Snot Monster and cousin to the plague rat. Breakfast was accompanied by a delightful mug of Lemsip Max - Cold & Cough. Oh I do feel sorry for myself.

EF9CDB4A-F75A-4E33-AC30-334E13B66608_zpsvkyuecii.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This, shortly.

B8D42CA8-57C3-4341-97B4-A918CCB9FE65_zpsqagefksp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

This, shortly.

B8D42CA8-57C3-4341-97B4-A918CCB9FE65_zpsqagefksp.jpg

Just had exactly that with a pancake and maple syrup plus two eggs over easy. Yum yum yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

3 egg omelette, with a scallion and a beef tomato chopped into the mix. Topped off with a good dollop of Mrs H S Ball's Original Recipe Chutney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

BenEadir wrote: »
    Just had exactly that

Ha, that's gas, I did too.

In addition, I had a rare treat of Rudd's black and white pudding as my local supermarket started stocking it recently. Which isn't all that remarkable until I mention the fact that I live in The Middle East. :cool:

A lovely taste of home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ha, that's gas, I did too.

In addition, I had a rare treat of Rudd's black and white pudding as my local supermarket started stocking it recently. Which isn't all that remarkable until I mention the fact that I live in The Middle East. :cool:

A lovely taste of home.

You can get pork in the Middle East ?? Cool ...
    Normal Saturday breakfast for me,large coffee half a pain au raisin and half a pain au chocolat ... To be eaten while working ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    You can get pork in the Middle East ?? Cool ...
    Normal Saturday breakfast for me,large coffee half a pain au raisin and half a pain au chocolat ... To be eaten while working ....

Isn't black pudding made with cows blood, not pigs......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Almost certain it's pigs blood

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Which isn't all that remarkable until I mention the fact that I live in The Middle East.

You should order a Ring of Kerry butchered lamb. €160 vacuum packed in a cool box. Pay the DHL fee to have it shipped to the Middle East and you'll eat like a king for weeks!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Almost certain it's pigs blood

Yep, pigs blood afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Depends on the pudding.
    Clonakilty is cow.
    Most are pig afaik.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Clonakilty is cows' blood? I never knew that!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I think that any food product containing animal blood is forbidden until the Islamic dietary rules, whether it's pork or beef, hence why puddings hard to come by in the Middle East!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »
    Clonakilty is cows' blood? I never knew that!

Yup, I've been in the factory (in Little Island!).

A few years ago when all pork products were pulled from sale, Clonakilty started advertising the fact that they have no pork in their products.

baked-eggs.jpg

An experimental breakfast on Saturday: baked eggs with bacon bits, served with toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

My girlfriend made a batch of glazed cinnamon rolls for breakfast this morning:

a511ff9e-bc2d-42cd-9deb-7d6ad3e574d1.jpg

She's a 'keeper'! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

A cup of Nescafé azera Americano coffee

A bowl of Aldi Omega3 crunchy cereal

Another cup of coffee

Cup of tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Pancakes with syrup and a strong coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Two rashers, two pieces of black pudding, two pieces of white pudding and three sausages. Washed it down with milky tea. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

emc2 wrote: »
    Pancakes with syrup and a strong coffee

That's my tomorrow breakfast.

I had an onion bagel (not homemade, but lovely) at 7am with coffee.

I just had some homemade lasagne.

Pancakes for breaky tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

All Bran, banana and a chopped royal gala apple, yum! And a strong coffee.
    Tomorrow it'll be garlic and herb sausages, bacon, baby plum tomatoes and a baked egg... Roll on tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

At the moment eating a liege waffle ,with tart tatin ice cream and berry compote...
    Didn't make it my self, looks very sinful though.... (Yum gelato in Douglas market... Nom nomnnnm)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Paleo pancakes (eggs, bananas, vanilla, cinnamon), garlicky sausage and bacon, bucket of coffee... perfect breakfast on a horribly stormy day!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Made chia pudding for the first time. :pac:
    fcf08e0831.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Having the best scone in Ireland, and a cup of cappuccino.

IMG_20141021_100200_zpspmxeavch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Tuesday treat - up to Love Supreme in Stoneybatter for a cup of their delicious black tea and a wee blackberry cáca milis from Widflour bakery. Deeelish.

Breakfast in bed for Mr & Mrs Gloomster. Eggs benedict with bacon.
    F79A6B0F-1FD6-4F00-826F-1D6377C4B729_zpsp0opowlb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG gloomtastic that looks incredible!!!

Breakfast is a coffee & a shinkengipfli (croissant stuffed with minced bacon) in Bern train station. Off to Zürich to catch my flight home. I haven't seen Mrs Billy & The Kids for 3 weeks. Can't wait! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement