Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did you have for breakfast thread?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Breakfast is a coffee & a shinkengipfli (croissant stuffed with minced bacon) in Bern train station. Off to Zürich to catch my flight home. I haven't seen Mrs Billy & The Kids for 3 weeks. Can't wait! :)

It's a beautiful morning here in the North County, the sun is out for your return :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cheers DB! Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow in The Plough in Skerries if I can convince the family to bring Dad out for a 'welcome home' treat. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A cardamom bun, split, buttered and with a square of white chocolate with almonds in melted on top. Healthy eating getting off to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Mashed avocado on toast with a boiled egg.

So simple but I'm still thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Went to my Mum's for dinner yesterday and she made Colcannon. Loads left over so she gave me a big bowl to take away.

Just made Colcannon cakes for brekkie topped off with a runny fried egg.
    Best.
    Breakfast.
    EVER!

28chis4.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Inspired by anewme's post I made potato cakes with the leftover colcannon I had in the fridge and had them with sausages and a fried egg :)

sg22k0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^^^^ Now that's a breakfast!!! (but I'd have gone for an extra egg, I LOVE eggs!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Healthy Sunday breakfast cooked by the hubby. Nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That looks so good amklo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Just had this.
    IMG_20141109_095921_zpsxvha46s_edit_1415527446604_zpsf6rodc7n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bit of a pig out yesterday morning.......

81813BAA-C262-4F98-B01E-9CBA5B53719C_zps78eqicyx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

This morning I had slow cooker porridge cooked in milk and cream. Heavenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I had a bowl of aldi's frosted flakes!

I had three poached eggs on two slices of wholegrain toast with butter and..............................wait for it........................marmite :p

Deeeelish

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

A chocolate nutrigrain breakfast bar and a bottle of Centra brand apple juice. :(

Sauteed mixed mushroom on toast, topped with fried egg over easy.

IMG_20141114_093952_zpsxphqiz1_edit_1415969284385_zpsvwcmcg4c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Large cappucino and a brown scone with butter & jam from the petrol station on the way to work, was yum....Friday treats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Plain chipper curry with a couple of fried eggs. And toast solders for dunking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

White toast with real buttet, a banana and coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I have only got into cooking over the last 4 weeks inspired by none other than Anthony Bourdain. Here's my first ever attempt at a poached egg I had a week ago.

Had another poached egg this morning which lay upon two slices of crispy bacon served on whole grain toast (lightly buttered). It was delicious but I ate it before I even thought of taking a photograph. :)

Here's hoping to many years of exploring different foods and recipes.

I have only got into cooking over the last 4 weeks inspired by none other than Anthony Bourdain. Here's my first ever attempt at a poached egg I had a week ago.

Doesn't look too bad at all. Congrats. I'm a poached egg fiend and eat them almost every weekday morning on brown toast with butter and Marmite as does my wife, five eggs poaching in a frying pan of gently simmering water with a generous amount of white vinegar mixed in and you're hot to trot ;)

I'm also a big fan of Anthony Bourdain and just finished watching his Parts Unknown series on Netflix. Super series and a real eye opener both in terms of the locations he visits and the food he encounters.

Mmmmm, hungry now!!

BenEadir wrote: »
    Doesn't look too bad at all. Congrats. I'm a poached egg fiend and eat them almost every weekday morning on brown toast with butter and Marmite as does my wife, five eggs poaching in a frying pan of gently simmering water with a generous amount of white vinegar mixed in and you're hot to trot ;)

I'm also a big fan of Anthony Bourdain and just finished watching his Parts Unknown series on Netflix. Super series and a real eye opener both in terms of the locations he visits and the food he encounters.

Mmmmm, hungry now!!

Why, Thank you very much.

His show has me yearning to travel more and cook more. He easily has the greatest job ever. I will persevere with the poached eggs until I have them perfect.

I've heard a few people recommend against the vinegar saying that if you have really fresh eggs it's not necessary.

Do you find you can taste the vinegar in the egg at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Sweet potato hash.

Had another poached egg this morning which lay upon two slices of crispy bacon served on whole grain toast (lightly buttered). It was delicious but I ate it before I even thought of taking a photograph. :)

Here's hoping to many years of exploring different foods and recipes.

Welcome :)
    Check out the Cooking Club. Lots of great recipes in there and there's a thread with links to all of them near the top of the page.

No, I can't taste vinegar at all but then I've been cooking them this way for 20 years so maybe I just don't notice it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Breakfast today was smoked salmon and chive cream cheese on Ryvita crackers.

My new favourite snack. I just love the combo and flavours of all three together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Why, Thank you very much.

His show has me yearning to travel more and cook more. He easily has the greatest job ever. I will persevere with the poached eggs until I have them perfect.

I've heard a few people recommend against the vinegar saying that if you have really fresh eggs it's not necessary.

You don't really get any taste of vinegar whatsoever to be honest, and I've read that "fresh enough" to do without typically means "the chicken lay them just this morning" type stuff; not definite on that though.

Great first effort though, first few times I tried poached eggs was without vinegar and I just wound up with gloopy, curdled water and a face red from impatient anger! :D

Hollandaise sauce goes perfect with poached eggs and a slice of smoked salmon or ham underneath (and spinach if you like), and it's pretty easy to make. It's also excellent on pasta, fish, chicken, steak... really just about anything!

1. Boil some water, pour a small pot half full of it, put on very low heat.
    2. Put a bowl sitting on top of the pot and make sure no water is touching.
    3. Put about 110g butter in the bowl and whisk around until melted - you don't want it very hot, just warm.
    4. Separate two egg yolks*, put in a glass/cup with 2tbsp lemon juice and 1tbsp white wine vinegar or clear vinegar and 1tbsp cold water and scramble together.
    5. Put a few teaspoons of the butter in with the mixture and stir for 10-20 seconds (it's called tempering - allows it to warm slowly, avoids splitting).
    6. Pour the mixture into the bowl of melted butter (still on the pot), add a TINY pinch of salt and pepper, and keep stirring (gently but quite continuously not missing any spots**) for 10 minutes or so with a fork until the sauce clings between the tines of the fork.
    7. Spoon out over the poached eggs, toast, etc, when it's as thick as you want.

*This is way, way easier than the 'juggling' technique you see on TV - no idea why they do that. Just crack a small hole in the top and slowly tip out the egg white. The yolk is thicker so it will stay in the shell. Then when almost all the white is out, tear off enough shell for the yolk to come out cleanly, pour it out gently into your fingers which any remaining egg white will stick to, and drop the yolk in the glass/cup. The other way is far, far too fidgety and delicate in my opinion.

**If you miss any spots they can turn to scrambled egg which you don't want, so keep scraping the back of the fork along the base of the bowl to avoid this - a fork is way better than a metal or wooden spoon for hollandaise because of this and the 'tines test' in terms of thickness.

***Also, don't let the sauce get too hot or it can split - if you think the bowl is getting too hot or see some buttery streaks appearing on the edge of the surface, transfer it to a cold bowl and keep stirring - the heat in the sauce should finish cooking it, and if it doesn't after 2-3 minutes or so you can just put the cold bowl back on top of the pot to finish off.

Weetabix with milk, a spoon of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Pancakes with Maple Syrup & Bacon

I had porridge and fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

For breakfast. From Supervalu. Yum.
    That's all I have to say. Just yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Love Kippers with a poached egg.......Yum is right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Every time I eat kippers I promise myself I'll eat them more often!

Kippers merged.

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Had to visit the Doc. yesterday. Needed antibiotics for a cut finger. Asked her to take my BP while she was at it.(trying to get value for my €50!). It was 180/120

So expect some different breakfast habits here, from now on :D

Some cold left over garlic chips from the night before. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Christmas ham with poached eggs and wheaten bread.
    F7045C3A-CA6D-4F06-AD2C-A67CB8CE4C5C_zpstqkb3kar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Just a slice of the Mammy's brown bread with gooseberry jam and a mug of tea for me.

Saving room for later!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Box of maltesers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Packet of peanut m&ms

• Advertisement

A leftover cocktail sausage sandwich & a mug of tae. Off to Nana Billy's for round two now...

Lindt Lindor hanging from our Xmas tree, followed by poached egg and sauteed mushroom on toasted brioche, with garlic parsley oil. Freshly squeezed orang juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Porridge and about 6 Danish butter cookies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

After Eights mini selection box. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Herrings, raw herrings ( like a dolphin I am )

Christmas ham with poached eggs and wheaten bread.
    F7045C3A-CA6D-4F06-AD2C-A67CB8CE4C5C_zpstqkb3kar.jpg

^^^^^ Mmmmm. Perfect poached egg brekkie.

What a great way to start Chrimbo.

Fresh made scones, coffee and bucks fizz in my gaff this morning. Used to do a proper brekkie but we wanted to have a big appetite for lunch around 3pm. I'm ready to eat now!!

Happy Christmas fellow Boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Channeling Bertie Wooster this morning. Toast made under the grill with butter & gentleman's relish and a cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Late breakfast so made a wrap with leftover duck, stuffing, mayo and rocket. Very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Love the Christmas morning breakfasts :pac:

Advertisement