Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did you have for breakfast thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Seeing as it's a Monday, I tried to be a little healthier than I've been.

Porridge with pineapple, banana, blueberries and coconut flakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Leftover Pad Thai from dinner I made last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Two slices of my mother-in-law's brown bread toasted & a mug of tea. Enjoying a creamy pint now in a local away from the hustle & bustle of her kitchen.

Had Nigella's Eggs in Purgatory with some wholemeal yeast bread I made yesterday. Delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Brunch of bacon, black & white, eggs and toast. Clonakility white was very oniony - not a pleasant taste on a breakfast plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Minder wrote: »
    Brunch of bacon, black & white, eggs and toast. Clonakility white was very oniony - not a pleasant taste on a breakfast plate.

Does not compute.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Pang wrote: »
    Had Nigella's Eggs in Purgatory with some wholemeal yeast bread I made yesterday. Delicious.

As per her suggestion on twitter? :) I considered them myself but the mother in law provided a full on fry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm painfully jealous of everyone who had a fry today. Especially if you had black pudding.

As per her suggestion on twitter? :) I considered them myself but the mother in law provided a full on fry.

:) Saw it on Facebook and thought I am definitely making that. So enjoyable. Perfect hangover food!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Left over Chinese which consisted of some Singapore noodles and amber fired beef from Peking in Ashbourne. It was amazing and I'm not even sorry. I would highly recommend the beef to anyone who lives in the vicinity of one of the peking chain of Chinese restaurants to go and try it.

It also cures hangovers!!

• Advertisement

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Does not compute.

Onions for breakfast? I remember Clonakilty white having a peppery flavour, like allspice berries. Has the recipe changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Onions for breakfast?

Yeah, why not? If I recall, homemade hash browns feature onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A s'mores pop tart. BIT addicted and they are a ridiculous non-food. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I had onions in my sweet potato hash this morning.

Tilly wrote: »
    I had onions in my sweet potato hash this morning.

Oooooh me likey the look of your breakkie. *imagining soft runny yolk oozing over the hash*

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Oooooh me likey the look of your breakkie. *imagining soft runny yolk oozing over the hash*

They were soooo runny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

HXRLmd9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Baked eggs with ham and dark rye bread soldiers! :)

DD89BF8D-04A0-440C-987A-37C444E5416A_zpsixebe1jy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

French toast - maple syrup and/or strawberry jam - nom nom nom -
    Fry the toast in oil and just before it's done stick a tiny knob of butter on the hot pan under the toast - smell'd drive you mad -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Got a present of a juicer for christmas so went a bit mad in the turkish market yesterday..

Needless to say Breakfast was delicious, made 4 juices for me and girlfriend and a few slices of toast.

2qatxkz.png

• Advertisement

A raspberry bakewell (from the same bakery as last night's peanut butter brownie, we picked up a rake o'cakes from them) and a cup of coffee. It was swearing out loud good.

6dcec192-4a04-405a-80a4-9585af4a7ff3_zps15fe6fc5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Mixed leaves tossed in olive oil, 300g of streaky bacon grilled until crisp then diced up nice and small and crumbled over the leaves with 3 soft goooey poached eggs on top with a generous twist of ground black pepper.

Mmmmmmm

140m5uv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Sunday breakfast, went a bit doolally in the kitchen and made this for breakfast... the end of the baked ham topped with homemade guacamole and a poached egg. I hadn't poached an egg in years so was delighted I could still get it right.

eggandham_zps663d5bcc.jpg

Here's the gooey oozy yokey niceness with a good twist of black pepper:

eggsandham2_zps5ad18086.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I've yet to crack (geddit?!) the perfect poached egg. Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Oooh that really is the perfect poached egg! How do you do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Crack the egg into a cup.

Get water on to heat in a saucepan. Once it's at a simmer, lower the heat. You don't want any bubbly boily action when poaching.

Throw in a bit of vinegar (white wine vinegar is good, this time I used rice vinegar as it's all I had - just don't use balsamic or your egg will go brown) and using a spoon stir the water clockwise. Keep stirring until you've created a gentle whirlpool, then drop the egg carefully into the water. Set timer for 3 mins and then fish the egg out gently with a slotted spoon.

Works for me pretty much every time!

Edit: Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtZ14xEbgzg

Porridge topped with greek yoghurt and a couple of loaded tablespoons of homemade granola (oats, walnuts, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a little cocoa, a little salt and equal parts maple syrup & sunflower oil)

b2424388-9078-4fee-9951-9a39afa348da_zps6a7f563c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I would do serious damage to someone to anyone getting in between me and that poached egg ham guacamole combo.

Breakfast at the desk, the remains of the four hour baguette (holding up reasonably well, considering I made it on Sunday) with an avocado crushed on top and an ungodly amount of crunchy sea salt. Lemon and ginger Twinings tea.

Toasted sourdough with smoked salmon and avocado. Woke up craving salmon during the night so had to have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

American-ish style pancakes - self raising flour, milk, egg, with a grated apple in it, topped with honey. Very satisfying.

Country-style Malaysian coconut pancake, with homemade sambal. The others had them with honey.

IMG_20150125_104616_zpstiyyfhtl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Scrambled egg, bacon and cream cheese on a toasted bap. Nice hangover breakfast. And by god I needed it.

Sausage muffin with some of last night's guacamole and a poached egg.

E699A492-6421-4512-AB87-B236348E2037_zpsnry7gwjg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Equil

One banana with 4 Jacob's Kimberley biscuits and a mug of Barry's Rooibos tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Haggis omelette! We had leftover haggis from Friday night so I fried it and crumbled it into the omelette along with mushrooms and cheese. Delicious it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Banana and Blueberry 'pancake' made with egg and ground almonds - been eating them daily for almost 3 weeks now, I am addicted yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Banana and Blueberry 'pancake' made with egg and ground almonds - been eating them daily for almost 3 weeks now, I am addicted yum yum

sounds amazing :) do you have a recipe?

northgirl wrote: »
    sounds amazing :) do you have a recipe?

I put a little coconut oil (you could use butter) in a small frying pan
    Add a few frozen (or fresh) blueberries/raspberries/whatever you like and then half a banana sliced up

Mash the other half of the banana up as well as you can (very ripe bananas work best for this reason) and then add 1 or 2 eggs and beat together
    Now add a tablespoon or cinnamon or mixed spice, I like quite a lot as it gets rid of the eggy taste
    Add a tablespoon of ground almonds, mix and pour over the fruit - fry for a minute or 2 and then pop under the grill to finish

This morning I had a bit of shredded coconut leftover from baking yesterday so I chucked that in as well, the texture was really nice!

I sprinkle with a bit more cinnamon whilst it's still hot
    Sometimes I make this the night before and heat up at work in the microwave for about 45 seconds

I got into these whilst on a detox diet but have kept eating them as i love them so much - I normally eat an avocado before or after for fibre so it's actually a very nutritious breakfast although a little high in calories if you're counting them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I had a leftover roast dinner for breakfast :pac:

Crumpets wrote: »
    I had a leftover roast dinner for breakfast :pac:

Oh wow - I am jealous!!
    If I had it my way, roast dinners would be consumed for breakfast, lunch and dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Magicmushroom those pancakes sound delish! :) One question though
    I put a little coconut oil (you could use butter) in a small frying pan
    Add a few frozen (or fresh) blueberries/raspberries/whatever you like and then half a banana sliced up

Mash the other half of the banana up as well as you can (very ripe bananas work best for this reason) and then add 1 or 2 eggs and beat together
    Now add a tablespoon or cinnamon or mixed spice

Is it really a tablespoon of cinnamon? That sounds like like loads to me :eek:

Magicmushroom those pancakes sound delish! :) One question though

Is it really a tablespoon of cinnamon? That sounds like like loads to me :eek:

Lol - Yes really - But I ADORE cinnamon so feel free to adjust to your taste!
    I sprinkle more on top too haha

Spinach and eggs done in the oven. I'm sure there's a name for it, I just can't think of it :p

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Country-style Malaysian coconut pancake, with homemade sambal. The others had them with honey.

Is that the sambal that is on the Random Recipe thread? Could you post the pancake recipe please?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Porridge with banana, blueberries, honey and cinnamon. I had the toast on and was going to the fridge to get jam, but saw a pack of salt and vinegar crisps on my way. So long jam, hello crisp sambo.

If the kids saw what I just did, I'd be in trouble.

Is that the sambal that is on the Random Recipe thread? Could you post the pancake recipe please?

This sambal is more aromatic and concentrated compared to the one in random recipe, so it's suitable as a condiment, or base to make a sambal dish (prawn/squid/chicken/fish). Can be kept in a sterilised jar and lasts for a month.
    I'll put both pancake and sambal recipes up in the random thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Poached eggs, sauteed spinach on 2 slices of toasted Parsnip, Parmesan & Thyme bread.

yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Spinach and eggs done in the oven. I'm sure there's a name for it, I just can't think of it :p

Oeuf en cocotte florentine -
    (Probably :-) ) almost everything with spinach is florentine

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Spinggs

Back from walking the dogs, what can I eat quickly? 5 mins in the oven, leftover pizza. Perfect breakfast! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement