Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for breakfast thread?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

French toast, made with home-made white soda bread. In bed. :) I love Sunday mornings!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Fruit 'n' Fibre, orange juice, tea and half an apple turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Breakfasted at one of my favourite cafes, Brother Hubbard's, at the weekend. Chorizo and feta omelette, with rye toast and a really good, smoky tomato sauce, and coffee. So simple yet scrumptious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hermione* wrote: »
    Breakfasted at one of my favourite cafes, Brother Hubbard's, at the weekend.

<3<3 that place. I can't deviate from the cinnamon scrolls when I'm there to try other things though, compulsively order them (and one for a 'friend' to take home with me) like they'll stop making them if I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

how do you guys have enough time in the morning to dedicate to these wonderful breakfast concoctions?

I have just about enough time to throw a slice of bread in the toaster then throw it into me.

I hate breakfast anyway. I'm lactose-intolerant and not really a big fan of cereal, porridge, etc anyway. I invariably coerce myself into eating a boring old piece of toast and heading out the door. I'd skip it altogether if my lunch break was earlier than 2.30pm.

• Advertisement

how do you guys have enough time in the morning to dedicate to these wonderful breakfast concoctions?

I'd say there's a lot of weekend/day off posts here. During the week I'm more of a dry-granola-at-my-desk girl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yesterday both daughters were here so I made a mixed grill. Please ignore the incinerated sausages (one daughter only eats them that way!) and focus instead on my home made hash brown :)
    [URL="[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/5dmbo1.jpg[/IMG]"]5dmbo1.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Looks lovely Dizzy! What recipe did you use for the homemade hash brown? Its something I've always wanted to try and make

Yesterday both daughters were here so I made a mixed grill. Please ignore the incinerated sausages (one daughter only eats them that way!) and focus instead on my home made hash brown :)

I love sausages incinerated!
    Looks yum...starving now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Looks lovely Dizzy! What recipe did you use for the homemade hash brown? Its something I've always wanted to try and make

I used the recipe in this article - you have to scroll down a bit. I used butter to fry the onions, then mixed them with the potato in a bowl and put sunflower oil into the pan to fry the hash brown. First time I made it I used butter and it wasn't crisp enough.
    I also mashed the potato slightly with a fork.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This morning breakfast was something I've been having a lot lately.

One orange and one banana chopped up and mixed with 3 tablespoons of oats and a big dollop of low fat natural yogurt all washed down with a mug of tea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I used the recipe in this article - you have to scroll down a bit. I used butter to fry the onions, then mixed them with the potato in a bowl and put sunflower oil into the pan to fry the hash brown. First time I made it I used butter and it wasn't crisp enough.

Thanks for that Dizzy, hopefully I'll get a chance to make it over the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

You could try clarified butter. You're probably not able to get the butter hot enough to crisp the hash brown, as the butter would burn. But clarified butter has a higher smoke point than most, if not all oils, and you still get a slight buttery flavour.

I started making my own clarified butter a few months ago, and I love the stuff! :)

You could try clarified butter. You're probably not able to get the butter hot enough to crisp the hash brown, as the butter would burn. But clarified butter has a higher smoke point than most, if not all oils, and you still get a slight buttery flavour.

I started making my own clarified butter a few months ago, and I love the stuff! :)

I always thought life was too short for clarifying butter but maybe not :)

I always thought life was too short for clarifying butter but maybe not :)

Me too, but it's actually a quick process. You can have it slowly melting in a pan while doing other cooking. Then just skim off the milk solids. You won't get 100% of them, hence the slight buttery taste.

I had cinnamon and raisin pancakes with berries, cup of Kenco, banana and glass of pineapple juice.

Me too, but it's actually a quick process. You can have it slowly melting in a pan while doing other cooking. Then just skim off the milk solids. You won't get 100% of them, hence the slight buttery taste.

In addition...

The skimming part is only a ten minute job, seriously. :)

The only oil I use is olive, I don't believe sunflower oil and co to be healthy. So for frying, it's either olive oil or clarified butter. Obvs you can't fry eggs in olive oil - well, you can but yock - so things like that are where clarified butter comes in. The higher smoke point is very handy too, for cooking steak or other things that need quick cooking at a searing pan temperature.

OK, that's enough about clarified butter. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

A big messy plate of eggy-bread (made with homemade white soda bread) ... yum!!

eggybread.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had the nicest breakfast ever yesterday - Eggs Benedict in Liberty Grill in Cork - sublime!

This morning....2 slices of toast :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I had a toffeecrisp and a pint of milk :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I had a toffeecrisp and a pint of milk :/

mmmm nothing like it :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A homemade flapjack.

That's almost porridge, right? :o

A really very good doughnut & a flat white. Proper yeast one as well with cartoonish Simpsons icing.

fcfc56d3-7b54-48d0-94eb-3df134bef90f_zps64e37da1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Smoothie of coconut water, peanut butter, natural yoghurt, melon, spinach, lime, mint and ginger. Lovely and refreshing.

I knew when I was making it that I was forgetting something. It wasn't until I was out running several hours later that I realised I'd forgotten the oats :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

This morning I had poached duck eggs, smokey bacon, brown toast and a cuppa tea. Lovely. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bagel with lox and a schmear (:pac:), along with a smoothie of pineapple, kiwi, celery and carrot juice blended with bananas and spinach.

bagel-smoothie.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Beefy barbacoa burrito from Tolteca with white rice, grilled peppers and onions, sour cream, cheese and their hottest sauce <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Made my own frappe this morning to quench my ever increasing caffeine addiction.

Four spoons of instant Arabica coffee
    Chocolate protein powder
    Ice cubes
    Banana

Stick it all in a blender for a sec and hey presto !! Turned out very nice, just missing the milk. Can't wait for tomorrow, going to experiment with recipes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

253624.jpg

Farm fresh egg on a toasted slimbo with some Tex-Mex seasoning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

On sunday I had 550g minced beef, 5 large eggs, spinach, baby tomatoes, Black coffee with a table spoon of coconut oil.
    it was a massive win :D:eek:

Advertisement