Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No training in new position

Options
  • 26-08-2012 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi ya

Love boards so any advice would be appreciated.

I started a new position last week in a company I have been in for 8 years. My new position is mostly data entry and dealing with the public re queries. I have been there a week and have had little or no training at all but yet have been expected to enter data and answer calls and meet the public. I have been given a user guide/manual and just told to follow that. So far I have been finding it very difficult. For example I was asked to post a bunch of letters but wasnt told where the envelopes or the post tray was and when I asked I was told to just figure it out. I was told before I started that I would be getting training on the computer system used for data entry before I would be using it but that hasnt materialised really.

Just wondering if this is normal now. As I said it has been 8 years since I started a new job.

Any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Pretty much yes; usually it's training by doing or if lucky some hand over from the previous person. Note that's not how I think it should be that's been my experience across multiple companies and positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you've been in the company for 8 years, you've surely figured out how to figure stuff out? While training matters, figuring stuff out yourself matters too ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

sorry should have explained. While I am in the company 8 years I worked in a different office in a different location for that time. Now I work in a new location but still in the same company. Unfortunately not all practices are the same on all our locations. What would be good practice in my old position is bad practice in my new one. I know - bonkers or what.

No worries I will just get on with it. Just forgotten what is like to start a new job I suppose and how difficult it can be

Advertisement