Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Music

• 26-08-2012 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

What is involved? Do you have to listen to music and answer questions?
    I don't have an ear for music but wondering is there much theory?
    Could I pick up learning an instrument and would this suffice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

I'm not entirely sure, but I do know you have to play an instrument and there is listening etc.. I've also hear it's not difficult and people generally do well, I mean you're doing it for a reason; you like music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks. Yep I do I like music but would not be gifted with a singing voice;)

I was thinking of doing it instead of Biology or in addition to Biology but that would mean 8 HL subjects.

Just reading what another poster said as in it's a very long course to do in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I did it, got an a1. Ask me as many questions as you want! :D

Cheers thanks.
    Basically what is involved? I don't play an instrument so maybe take up tin whistle? Has to be grade 5?
    Do I have to listen to pieces and answer questions?
    Anything else you can add be extremely grateful:)

• Advertisement

shinesun wrote: »
    Cheers thanks.
    Basically what is involved? I don't play an instrument so maybe take up tin whistle? Has to be grade 5?
    Do I have to listen to pieces and answer questions?
    Anything else you can add be extremely grateful:)

Hi, the first question is , Can you read music? It is an important part of the course as 25% of the overall grade goes for composing short pieces on the day and you'll need to know some rudiments (scales) and music notation (notes, sharps, clefs etc.)

If you were to start an instrument, you could do trad tin whistle, which would be easier/nicer/sound more advanced than regular tin whistle.

The exam is divided into 3 parts.

Practical- Taken late march early april.
    Listening exam- taken end of june
    Composing exam- taken end of june/same day.

The marks are divided into 4 things - 25% for each above and also 25% for elective option (HL). Seeing as you don't do much playing already, you could do the listening elective. Nobody really does any other elective other than practical but I have seen some places run specific courses for the listening elective.

You have 4 set works and there are 4 questions on them. Q1-4 (25,10,10,10 marks respectively) Q5 is on Irish music where you have to listen to 3 pieces and answer questions aand then an irish music essay.

Q6 is an unheard piece(s) where you answer questions on the piece(s).

Then the composing paper, you answer one question from 1-3 , worth 40marks where you compose a 16 bar melody from a given start (Q1-most people do this, easiest). Then Q5 is what you'd probably do, most people do it, I did Q4 :L Where you add a bassline iwith chords.

Practical- if you choose to do one instrument, not an elective, you only have to play 3 pieces and one unseen piece for 25%. It should be of grade 5 standard but itdoesn't really matter :L If you choose to do the elective, you'd have to play 6 pieces and one unseen test for 50%.

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC067ALP008EV.pdf - Listening paper 2012

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC067ALP006EV.pdf - Composing paper 2012

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC067ALP007EV.pdf - Listening ELECTIVE (Only for those who choose to do the listening elective instead of practical or composing.)

The four set works are certain pieces which you study in class. For 2013, they are the same as for 2012. Bach, Queen, Tchaikovsky and Barry. You study a certain set piece in detail.

Bach- Jesu der du meine seele
    Queen- Bo Rhap
    Tchaik - Romeo and Juliet Fantasy overture
    Barry- Piano Quartet no.1

Thanks a mil for that.
    I don't think it will be a runner for me.
    Would only be able to read basic music

Think will be sticking with Biology!

I have no idea about composing and my listening skills would not be good enough.

Thanks again. Hopefully it will help someone else:)

Advertisement