Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a .ie domain that is my surname?

Options
  • 26-08-2012 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

id like to buy a .ie domain that is basically www.surname.ie
    can i do this by proving that this is my surname or do i need to register a business name?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd need to have a registered business name

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's only a few euro to register a business name, it doesn't need to be trading.

You could register the name random app design and then just register the website random.ie

for example here ryan.ie http://ryan.ie/webdesign/home/ (it's a uk phone number and uk email address on the site)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Is there not what IEDR call discretionary names which are on a first come first serve basis?

The only caveat AFAIK is that a discretionary name is fine however if the website associated with the domain begins trading then it must be registered to a sole trader or an ltd?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Is there not what IEDR call discretionary names which are on a first come first serve basis?

That won't work for surnames.
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    The only caveat AFAIK is that a discretionary name is fine however if the website associated with the domain begins trading then it must be registered to a sole trader or an ltd?
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I called IEDR and net result I was of the impression a .ie if it was operating for profit needed to be owned by a sole trader or company.

You can register .ie domain name as an individual but can you let/rent/lease it out to your company to use it but retain private ownership?

• Advertisement
Advertisement