Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Errew Abbey

Options
  • 26-08-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

was out to visit this abbey located near Crossmolina and right on Lough Conn. I followed the road down but couldn't access the abbey due to locked gates etc. I came to the end of the road and there was three gates, two into private houses and the third to the abbey locked. I left it at that as wasn't sure with right of ways etc and had visions of the bull guarding Moyne Abbey where the Moy meets Killala bay.

I am looking to find out more about it and its history etc.

Any help appreciated.

It's a remarkable location and very scenic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Thanks for that...interesting history. I reckon the views of the lake and surrounding countryside are great from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Had never heard of it, might head up that way someday for a spin.

Some photos here.

http://irishantiquities.bravehost.com/mayo/errew/errewabbey.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm Italian, but I spend my holidays in Ireland every year. I have just come back from your country four days ago.
    This year I had Errew Abbey on my list but due to busy days I skipped the visit to this place. I was there before, about ten years ago, and I remember that I drove at the end of a lane where a house was, I left the car there and passed the small gate and walked in a field to the abbey. A dog most likely from the house came along and stayed with me for the whole visit. It appears in most of the photos I took of the abbey.

As for Moyne Abbey, yes there are bulls or bullocks in the field, but if you just ignore them they'll do the same with you. Honest, I went to Moyne Abbey twice and I had to walk among a large group of cows and bullocks. I walked straight, calm and with my eyes kept low on the ground. All went well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

The Bull sign is just ......bull.Its there to ensure people keep to
    the track into the abbey and do not wander into neighbours fields
    which could be dangerous.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I know what the sign says, but there could be more than one animal, male or female ;)
    Last year the field was very populated, and I had to walk among them four times! I went to the abbey, the camera batteries ran down, I went back to the car, again to the abbey and finally to the car... wow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

You take your life in your own hands if you ignore a sign regarding bulls in fields!.
    There are many accidents of one sort or another concerning bulls.
    Think about it, they are big and can be very dangerous.

A few years ago I kept a herd of goats (hence the name), the buck goat was as friendly as a kitten most of the time but when the (his) females were on heat he could be vicious even to me, and I raised him from the moment he was born. He had me over once when I went to one of his females and, stupidly turned my back on him. Boy did it hurt:o.

So, bulls in fields? find another field is my advice as you can never tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

was down there last week
    field full of horses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Oh dear, instead of creatures with horns we've now got creatures with great big teeth!

Some days you just can't win.:D

Advertisement