Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Dublin Aldi has the O'Shea Pale Ale?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had some the other night and imo it's essentially O'Hara's IPA in every sense except for the big upfront hop kick. Which would make sense for the price of it. Lots of hops in a beer tends to come at a price.

I thought it was lovely btw. It'd make a great session beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had some the other night and imo it's essentially O'Hara's IPA in every sense except for the big upfront hop kick. Which would make sense for the price of it. Lots of hops in a beer tends to come at a price.

I thought it was lovely btw. It'd make a great session beer.

Had my first bottle last night and I'd agree with that assessment. It's good value at €1.79.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Had a bottle of this last night and loved it. Lovely american C hops in the aroma and it goes down too easy :D. Nice session strength as others have said but plenty of hops there too. Nice to have a local beer free of chill haze and actually tastes nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I had one of these a few days ago and I loved it too... the first impression I got was a taste of Turkish delight! Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had a bottle of this earlier for the first time, delicious and well worth 1.79, not quite as hoppy as O Hara's version (maybe 10 or 15% less) but just as delicious if not more so! Fair play to Aldi, not many Irish companies supporting Irish breweries, will stock up on this for Crimbo.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Aldi, not many Irish companies supporting Irish breweries,
    Really? What about Dunnes, Superquinn, Molloys, Carry Out, Drinkstore, Deveneys, etc. and all the Craft Beer Pubs and indeed, all the regular Pubs supporting Irish breweries? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Joe Macken's chain (Jo'Burger, CrackBird, Bear) uses only Irish companies where possible so the beer is all White Gypsy and Eight Degrees.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Joe Macken's chain (Jo'Burger, CrackBird, Bear) uses only Irish companies where possible so the beer is all White Gypsy and Eight Degrees.

And they also have Llewellyn's cider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Really? What about Dunnes, Superquinn, Molloys, Carry Out, Drinkstore, Deveneys, etc. and all the Craft Beer Pubs and indeed, all the regular Pubs supporting Irish breweries? ;)

Maybe I'm going to the wrong Dunnes (Cornelscourt) but their Irish craft beer selection has been brutal any time I've been in. In saying that it's a couple of months since I was last there so maybe things have improved an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Maybe I'm going to the wrong Dunnes (Cornelscourt) but their Irish craft beer selection has been brutal any time I've been in. In saying that it's a couple of months since I was last there so maybe things have improved an awful lot.

Its still brutal! rows and rows of piss and then a tiny little shelf of craft beers and Erdinger/krombacher etc.

Tesco's in celbridge have a whole aisle devoted to craft beers and your non-mainstream ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I should have been more specific, I meant commissioning a beer from an Irish brewery, as far as I know Aldi are the only supermarket doing it apart from I think M&S, not sure even if they do .

I should have been more specific, I meant commissioning a beer from an Irish brewery, as far as I know Aldi are the only supermarket doing it apart from I think M&S, not sure even if they do .
    I know what you meant, hence the ;)

I think Beernut would be the man to know if there were others.

I think L Mulligans are collaborating with 8 Degrees on the Brown Bag Project, and Keogh's crisps used Dungarvan's Blackrock Stout for a while, not sure if they're still doing them though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah, the M&S Irish Stout is by Carlow.

FXB's have a house beer brewed by Carlow and in Cork Benny McCabe's pubs have a beer he gets Franciscan Well to make for him, while the Market Lane and associated outlets have their stout brewed by White Gypsy. Neachtain's in Galway has a house beer brewed by Hooker (or it used to; hopefully it still does: it's lovely), The Crown in Belfast used to have a house beer by Whitewater but I don't know if that still exists under the new management. And I think Dice Bar still has Revolution Red which they brew at Trouble.

See I told ya! :D

Neachtain's in Galway has a house beer brewed by Hooker (or it used to; hopefully it still does: it's lovely)
    Had it a couple of months back and I concur, lovely beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, the M&S Irish Stout is by Carlow.

Neachtain's in Galway has a house beer brewed by Hooker (or it used to; hopefully it still does: it's lovely),

Two, Bonaparte Stout and the summer ale Nectar.

Seaneh wrote: »

What about Opus II Dark Wheatbeer? That's the one I was talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ha. totally forgot the Opus II. that's 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Aldi in Cavan also has the pale ale

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Scortho wrote: »
    Tesco's in celbridge have a whole aisle devoted to craft beers and your non-mainstream ones.
    Not sure exactly what defines "craft", so personally I prefer to use "micro" as it has a clear definition, but Tesco Celbridge now has a very poor selection. Same with Maynooth. Completely dumbed down and no hoppy good stuff any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

My understanding was that Opus II was no more. I wasn't a huge fan of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Seaneh wrote: »

beer_185603.jpg

The stout that weaned me off Neachtain's Guinness :D

Delicious stuff

Advertisement