Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U values for Velux windows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

Short answer, the maximum acceptable u-value for windows and rooflights is 1.6 W/m2K, as long as your glazing area does not exceed a quarter of your floor area.

But - achieving the u-value targets in the regulations is easy. The hard part is getting the overall Carbon Performance and Energy Performance Coefficients right. If you get the u-values right but nothing else, there's no doubt your house will fail the regulations check.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 attic

kieranhr wrote: »
    Short answer, the maximum acceptable u-value for windows and rooflights is 1.6 W/m2K, as long as your glazing area does not exceed a quarter of your floor area.

But - achieving the u-value targets in the regulations is easy. The hard part is getting the overall Carbon Performance and Energy Performance Coefficients right. If you get the u-values right but nothing else, there's no doubt your house will fail the regulations check.

Ok, so what other things are biggies: I guess air tightness, anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

You'll need to get your architect/engineer/BER assessor to carry out a whole house energy analysis to say whether or not the EPC and CPC I mentioned above conform to the regulations. I usually find these to be the most stringent requirements, and if you hit these, everything else will pretty much fall into place.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

attic wrote: »
    Ok, so what other things are biggies: I guess air tightness, anything else?

yeah... everything.

compliance can only be proven by a DEAP analysis.

Advertisement