Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for LGBT teachers.

• 26-08-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Since we live in a country where irrational beliefs overpower the rights of the people, schools run by the church are able to sack LGBT staff as they feel it goes against their ethos. I just did my leaving cert in June and I'm gay, and I'm thinking about possibly doing primary school teaching in the future.

My question is - what exactly is the protocol for this? Is it if the principal finds out you're gay or what? And is it at their own discretion whether or not to sack you or must they report to the church who almost certainly will?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pebble on the Beach

Sorry I don't have the answers you're looking for but hopefully legislation will be passed to end this type of discrimination in the near future!

http://www.thejournal.ie/quinn-will-back-move-to-stop-discrimination-against-gay-teachers-413264-Apr2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Since we live in a country where irrational beliefs overpower the rights of the people, schools run by the church are able to sack LGBT staff as they feel it goes against their ethos. I just did my leaving cert in June and I'm gay, and I'm thinking about possibly doing primary school teaching in the future.

My question is - what exactly is the protocol for this? Is it if the principal finds out you're gay or what? And is it at their own discretion whether or not to sack you or must they report to the church who almost certainly will?

Whoah, hold your horses!

Firstly, afaik, the vast majority of LGBT teachers don't broadcast their sexuality in the staffroom in the same way that I don't announce that I was shagging last night. They just do their job. A person's sexuality is only one aspect of who s/he is, there is nothing to 'find out'.

Secondly, I don't doubt that there have been LGBT teachers who have not done well at interview due to the prejudices of the Board of Management, but I have yet to hear of someone being fired (very difficult to do in any case) for being LGBT.

And, finally, the unions are only champing at the bit for a case of outright discrimination to occur, so they can bring a case and get the exemption from the Equality legislation overturned.

In short, being gay should not put you off becoming a teacher.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A non-issue in any school I have ever worked in(and I subbed in loads !) Unless you come on to the chairman at interview, you'll be grand:D:DBut then that applies to straights too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

but it is an issue in some schools (much as we'd like to think it isn't)
    i've worked in several schools where i've have L/G colleagues and
    i have heard older staff members talking bout this issue e.g. when one lad was throwing a party for a 'significant' birthday let's say and staff members did talk about whether or not the lad in question would 'be parading his boyfriend for them all to see'
    and i also know of another lad who went to great pains to hide his sexuality from the students as he felt it would lead him open to some unmerciful bullying and homophobic bullying from the students (discipline was an issue in that particular school anyway)
    on the other - just to reassuare the op somewhat - i've worked in schools where it hasn't been an issue as well
    i'm post-primary so there would be a bigger staff mix and don't know how it would be, if say you were teaching in a small rural primary school
    but as for being fired because of your sexuality, i would say that certaintly would not be a worry.
    it teaching is what you want, do it as it is (in spite of the cutbacks) the best job ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

but it is an issue in some schools (much as we'd like to think it isn't)
    i've worked in several schools where i've have L/G colleagues and
    i have heard older staff members talking bout this issue e.g. when one lad was throwing a party for a 'significant' birthday let's say and staff members did talk about whether or not the lad in question would 'be parading his boyfriend for them all to see'
    and i also know of another lad who went to great pains to hide his sexuality from the students as he felt it would lead him open to some unmerciful bullying and homophobic bullying from the students (discipline was an issue in that particular school anyway)

That sounds like typical staffroom bitching and gossip to me, nothing to do with the subject of the conversation's sexuality. If they're not talking about someone's car, it's if she's pregnant, about so-and-so getting drunk at the staff do or the principal's dress sense! Was it said to his face? Maybe I'm not pc enough, but I wouldn't count that as homophobia.

Likewise, we all hide personal information from our students. Maybe the slagging would be worse for being gay, but I've got abuse from students for all variety of things under the sun.

The OP's query seems to relate to discrimination in gaining and keeping employment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

It doesn't seem to be an issue for the few gay members of staff in my school - but it is a VEC school, not a Catholic one.

I think LGBT staff would have to be more discrete about their personal life in some schools. Obviously nobody should be discussing personal information with students, but the fact is that it is normal for some straight teachers to bring a spouse to some school events and nobody bats an eyelid. This could be a problem if somebody brought a same-sex partner - it would depend on the school - so gay staff may need to be more careful around this issue.

It's not as straightforward as not broadcasting your sexuality - having to go out of your way to keep basic details of your personal life a secret is not normal for straight people, and unfortunately I think this would be necessary for LGBT teachers in some schools.

Don't let it put you off teaching though. It's not a non-issue at the moment, but it's not a massive one either and hopefully the legal situation will improve soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Don't it put you off teaching. A lot more primary schools are run by religious groups that secondary schools, so if you're worried about that gang then secondary teaching might be a better option. But I know loads of GLB teachers and none have had a problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

dory wrote: »
    Don't it put you off teaching. A lot more primary schools are run by religious groups that secondary schools, so if you're worried about that gang then secondary teaching might be a better option. But I know loads of GLB teachers and none have had a problem.
    Seriously, I work in primary, not an issue in any place I've been .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

It's not as straightforward as not broadcasting your sexuality - having to go out of your way to keep basic details of your personal life a secret is not normal for straight people, and unfortunately I think this would be necessary for LGBT teachers in some schools.

Implausable I think you are being a bit too relaxed (I can't think of a better word right now) about the whole thing.

The key is the point highlighted above. yes there is the usual bitching about everyone however as Miss Lockhart pointed out going out of your way to have to keep things quiet is a different story.

I have been asked in one Catholic school was I straight as one of the information questions needed which was being filled in on the computer along with other things like was I catholic, was I married or divorced etc. This was only THREE years ago. Admittedly a very old fashioned school.

This year just gone I must say I was shocked by a comment made by a male teacher in the staffroom in relation to a particular student. It was so derogatory in relation to his sexual orientation. Now I'm no prude and am well used to hearing all sorts come out of the kids mouths but I was truly shocked to hear it come from a teacher (with the others at the table laughing along)

I am not saying for a second that anyone will actually ever be sacked for being gay but all is not so equal out there as people may like to think.

Again hiding things from students, like I had one colleague who does her best to make sure that the students never find out her married name, she has always gone by her maiden name and lives no where near the school (don't ask me why you would bother), but there is clearly a huge difference between hiding little things like this and hiding your whole identity.

Saying all that I have worked with a few gay teachers, it's not something that is every discussed by anyone else, there are the usual comments by students and stupid parents but as people said you get that about everything at times.

I don't think it will every come down to anyone being sacked but if it effected me I certainly wouldn't be very open about it in certain religious schools still today

Advertisement