Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livemocha feedback?

• 26-08-2012 7:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any feedback on livemocha for people who've tried it from here? This is, according to Wikipedia, a community language learning site and Collins publishing have a tie it (book/access).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

I tried it about two years ago so it may have improved. I found it to be a lovely idea but it was badly executed. Basically, you gain credit by helping people with little tasks in English that get steadily more advanced. Then you can use that credit to get help from native speakers of whatever language you're hoping to learn.

Languages as diverse as Portuguese are covered. The interactive lessons and quizzes are quite cool.

Unfortunately, when it comes to writing sentences or notes, you depend on ratings from other people and it's like dealing with rogue traders on shopping sites. Some kid may have misread/misunderstood a question but if you don't give them 5 stars, they won't give you 5 stars for knowledge/helpfulness. It spoils a brilliant idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

I just don't think it's well set up, and the instant chat is messy and annoying.

an amalgamation of interpals and shared talk would make the best site ever.

as in, profile layout of interpals, but with the chat accesibility of shared talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rockey01

Manach wrote: »
    Any feedback on livemocha for people who've tried it from here? This is, according to Wikipedia, a community language learning site and Collins publishing have a tie it (book/access).

You get what you put into it.. You get reciprocal language learning for free.

Personally I like it and find it useful in learning.

You do get spam pm's but I just report and delete them.

Advertisement