Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaps in engineered wooden floor

• 26-08-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi - we had an engineered wooden oak floor fitted this week. There are gaps appearing in the floor now - here and there. They weren't there on the first day. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

There should be an expansion gap around the edges, about 1cm, this will be covered by trim. This is what takes up the expansion and contraction of the wood planks.

There should be no gaps appearing anywhere else.... if it is laid properly on the proper underlay for the surface it sits on. Gaps appearing so soon.... sounds iffy .. could be that the planks are not physically connecting with each other in the proper manner. I would get the fitters back, check it and insist on it being done properly.

I would also check with the manufacturer of the floor to establish what underlay should be used for the sub-floor you have and make sure that is what the fitters laid.

I am not a pro floorer but have laid more than a few of these in houses I have refurbed.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Red door

Hi Top Tec - many thanks for your advice. He is coming back tomorrow - I will let you know how I get on. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You shouldnt have gaps in the floor after its only just been put down..

You shouldnt have any gaps,even after the floor being down years.

TopTec gives good advice.

Get the fitter back (and if in doubt) contact the floor manufacturer to enquire about instalation too.

paddy147 wrote: »
    You should'nt have gaps in the floor after its only just been put down..

You should'nt have any gaps,even after the floor being down years.

TopTec gives good advice.

Get the fitter back (and if in doubt) contact the floor manufacturer to enquire about instalation too.

Is OK Paddy - We all knew what you really meant! :):):)

TT

Monday Blues eh??:o:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

If the heat is turned off for a prolong period, then gaps would become apparent, though this would not be so in this case, most likely cause would be insufficient amount of glue, if any, especially as the floor is just now acclimating to its surroundings.....

Hi Lads,

Update - fitter came back to look at his work. He was all prepared to take off the skirting and "tap" the boards and gaps closed !!!

Obviously this was not an acceptable solution - not sure how you can tap something to close gaps once it has been glued ?

So we have agreed the floor is coming back up - the new floor boards are now sitting in the spare room climatsing :-). Although he still insists that this is unnecessary ! The boards are in boxes - but no manufacturer instructions on the box - I have been told not to open the boxes as it will impact the wood ! Can't believe the contradiction !!

Any advice of what I should be looking for when he returns? he says gaps are normal ??? If any gap is normal what does it measure and do you see them along the length of the board or at the ends ( hope that doesn't sound daft)

Many many thanks for all the help/advice / information up to now - it is what made the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

The only gap should be along the walls,which at approx 10mm, the skirting will cover,
    as this type of floor is mostly a 'sandwich' of alternating strips of plywood it is much more stable than a solid one, and no need for 'gaps' in the middle, the boxes should not be opened until fitting, and an adequate bead of glue when fitting will keep the joints tight.....

Red Door.

Glad you have progress. But He is spinning you a story.

Apart from the expansion gap around the outside NO other gap should be there, especially between the boards. There are a few likely reasons why you have gaps.

1. They were laid without glue (if that is what is required by the type of boards they are).

2. They were not laid staggered.... like a brick wall, no join should run alongside each other.

3. The boards were laid with the wrong underlay which allows excessive movement breaking the physical bond of the boards.

4, There is little or no expansion gap around the outside which means the boards can buckle and return flat breaking the physical bond.

5. The boards were laid before they acclimatised, so there was exessive expansion or shrinkage

Is your man re-using the boards he put down or are there new boards? Did he actually glue the 1st lot down or was it a click system where the boards slot together and hold fast? Have you any idea of the make of the boards? where did they come from? The answers to these questions will point you in the right direction as to the proper way to lay the floor.

It won't be a disaster if you open one pack to see if there are instructions inside, there usually are. I never worried about opening packs - the boards have to get used to the room anyway.

This will give you an idea of how it should be done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8r75z7BWI&feature=related

Keep us posted - Oh and good luck

TT

No he is not re-using the boards - he'd have to lay them over me first if that was the case :-)

I do believe now that it was acclimatisation - or lack of - and probably poorly fitted as well! I will have a sneak inside one of the packs andq see what it says.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the advice and help and links to various sites I don't feel such a twit anymore and will be far more confident about my questions when the boards go down again.

One of life's lessons for me :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Red door wrote: »
    Although he still insists that this is unnecessary !

a myth supposedly, they come wrapped in plastic to avoid moisture, no acclimatization necessary i've heard

My flooring spent 4 weeks sitting indoors in my house with all the packaging off,to get used to the house and air conditions.

It was then laid down/glued.

Never had a problem at all.

Advertisement