Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounts for Sole Trader

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

gccrowley1 wrote: »
    Advertising expenses - yes

Internet marketing - yes

Meals out - no

Mobile phone bills although not all calls would be for my sole trader business - yes. If you have a package deal you can claim the full amount as a business expense.

If I was planning on purchasing a car could I put this down as an expense as I will need it for the sole trader business (Remember I am also PAYE) - You can claim up to €23,000 against a car purchase and up to 85% of motor expenses if you also use it as a private vehicle.

All expenses that you incur in the running of your business are allowable. Except a portion of your rent/mortgage if you work from home - that is not allowed. You can however claim a portion of your heat/electric. Don't forget your Internet provision.

I have an accounts template you're looking for. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Just wondering could you also pm me the template.......

Cheers

Got that....... Thanks a lot ......appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gerryos

I am in the same boat aa PAYE and just startng out as a sole trader n the side. I would appericat it if you might send the template you refered to on. my e mail is gpfoto@ymal.com Many thnaks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

gerryos wrote: »
    I am in the same boat aa PAYE and just startng out as a sole trader n the side. I would appericat it if you might send the template you refered to on. my e mail is [EMAIL="gpfoto@ymal.com"]gpfoto@ymal.com[/EMAIL] Many thnaks

The email I sent you came bouncing back so I changed it to 'ymail' and resent. If you haven't received it please pm me your correct email address.

In an update, it turns out my sparring partner Barneystinson actually works for the Revenue. He's had a copy of the template for a good few months now and I've heard nothing untowards back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Would genuinely like to see it too, pm to follow - will give my honest opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Thanks for that Gloomtastic,

It's certainly a useful template. It would be most suitable for a small business. It will benefit your accountant to have this, as he can use it as a starting point. You've also given good advice re the splitting of Revenue streams.

There are a couple of flaws/improvements that could be made, imho.

Depreciation

In your example there's a cost of equipment of €500 in January ( I know this is only an example). If this were the full cost of the equipment it would be wrong to include here. For accounting purposes it should be* the estimated monthly charge for the use of the item.

Depreciation is important as it allows you to cost the inclusiveness of the asset, yet not overly burden an accounting period with its full cost when it will be used for more than one accounting period.

Depreciation could be calculated in a separate sheet and the total for Depreciation included in your monthly/annual accounts.

Depreciation will also need to be included in your adjusted profit calculation, by adding back. Capital allowances would then need to be deducted as per Revenue rules.

*Accountants, please forgive the use of language!

Overly relying on a template.

Not a problem for you I'd imagine, but others that use the sheet will need to modify for changes in the VAT rate.

I know it wasn't designed for other users, other than yourself, but it should be pointed out that the expense lines on the template are not exhaustive (I know this is going to come across as obvious!)

Extra column for Coding

It'd help end of year calculations if you added an extra column on your outgoings sheet, so that the expenses were identified as you went along i.e. enter telephone, advertising etc. At the end of the year you could simply use a sumif etc function to total up the various expenses. These then could be linked to what you call your cashflow sheet (it'd be best to call this an I&E or Income and Expenditure sheet - cashflow is entirely different and not related to profit)

Lack of Balance Sheet

This actually might be a fatal flaw in your template. The Revenue now expect to know what your bank balance is at the end of your accounting period, plus to know what your drawings are. The drawings figure will not be obvious from your workings. And as such would subject the user to a greater risk of audit.

In summary,

A useful template, but I'd have to come up short in actually recommending its use without the input of an accountant (neither does gloomtastic as far as I can see). Now, it could be levelled at me that I would say that, seeing as I'm an accounting moderator.

However, I've not worked in practice in over 10 years and would have no benefit for advising such.

So, useful, but not perfect :)

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    Thanks for that Gloomtastic,

It's certainly a useful template. It would be most suitable for a small business. It will benefit your accountant to have this, as he can use it as a starting point. You've also given good advice re the splitting of Revenue streams.

There are a couple of flaws/improvements that could be made, imho.

Depreciation

In your example there's a cost of equipment of €500 in January ( I know this is only an example). If this were the full cost of the equipment it would be wrong to include here. For accounting purposes it should be* the estimated monthly charge for the use of the item.

Depreciation is important as it allows you to cost the inclusiveness of the asset, yet not overly burden an accounting period with its full cost when it will be used for more than one accounting period.

Depreciation could be calculated in a separate sheet and the total for Depreciation included in your monthly/annual accounts.

Depreciation will also need to be included in your adjusted profit calculation, by adding back. Capital allowances would then need to be deducted as per Revenue rules.

*Accountants, please forgive the use of language!

Overly relying on a template.

Not a problem for you I'd imagine, but others that use the sheet will need to modify for changes in the VAT rate.

I know it wasn't designed for other users, other than yourself, but it should be pointed out that the expense lines on the template are not exhaustive (I know this is going to come across as obvious!)

Extra column for Coding

It'd help end of year calculations if you added an extra column on your outgoings sheet, so that the expenses were identified as you went along i.e. enter telephone, advertising etc. At the end of the year you could simply use a sumif etc function to total up the various expenses. These then could be linked to what you call your cashflow sheet (it'd be best to call this an I&E or Income and Expenditure sheet - cashflow is entirely different and not related to profit)

Lack of Balance Sheet

This actually might be a fatal flaw in your template. The Revenue now expect to know what your bank balance is at the end of your accounting period, plus to know what your drawings are. The drawings figure will not be obvious from your workings. And as such would subject the user to a greater risk of audit.

In summary,

A useful template, but I'd have to come up short in actually recommending its use without the input of an accountant (neither does gloomtastic as far as I can see). Now, it could be levelled at me that I would say that, seeing as I'm an accounting moderator.

However, I've not worked in practice in over 10 years and would have no benefit for advising such.

So, useful, but not perfect :)

Thanks for the feedback.

It is a small business template but I have used it in larger businesses (€2m+) for monthly management accounts.

Good point re Coding. I currenty use the Sort function to identify all the outgoings for the year end but I'll check out the sumif function.

I did include a balance originally, at the bottom of each month, but after a year or so got rid of it because it bore no resemblance to reality - I use my sole trader account to treat my family to a meal out every now and then when business is good. :) I might stick it back in for others sake.

I stopped using an accountant a couple of years ago when business dropped significantly and I couldn't justify, or afford, spending €500+ on year end tax returns. Discovering you could do it yourself online in 20 minutes was indeed a revelation! It will take a lot of reassurance to ever use one again in future I'm afraid.

If it makes the accounting profession feel better about itself, I stopped using lawyers many, many years ago and do all that side myself as well! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hi Gloomtastic! Could I please get a copy of your template aswell? I sent you a PM:)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Many thanks for the template Gloomtastic, just wondering for someone not VAT registered is it just a case of removing the VAT columns to make the spreadsheet valid or would there be different calculations required for non-VAT registered people?

Thanks again!

gerryR wrote: »
    Many thanks for the template Gloomtastic, just wondering for someone not VAT registered is it just a case of removing the VAT columns to make the spreadsheet valid or would there be different calculations required for non-VAT registered people?

Thanks again!

Just delete them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭karlkarlson

i've also PM'd you Gloomtastic if you don't mind sending it on again. Thanks, Karl

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Would it possible to claim expenses for trips abroad concerning your expenses & how detailed would these need to be?
    e.g. going to Scandanivia to look at office spaces for the expansion of your business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes but you are much better off operating as a limited company if you are doing lots of travel. Can claim flat-rate expenses then as per revenue guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 geenzeys

Dear Gloomtastic,
    You seem to have identified a need with that accounts template!
    Any chance I could have one too??

geenzeys wrote: »
    Dear Gloomtastic,
    You seem to have identified a need with that accounts template!
    Any chance I could have one too??

Sent!

Get a couple of requests a week. Can't believe there's nothing else out there but I'm happy to help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 geenzeys

much appreciated :) This will save me hours of work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Good on you Gloomster "The Simon Community of Accounting Packages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Farm King

Hi Gloomtastic! Could I please get a copy of your template aswell? I sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Just starting out myself, Id really like a copy if it's not too much trouble.
    many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Thanks for that Gloom
    I owe you a pint if we meet up.

Best regards
    Poly

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Farm King

Thanks Gloomtastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Could I get one too please, really appreciate it!

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    Could I get one too please, really appreciate it!

You need to PM me your email address please.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Thanks Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 djcass

Hi Gloomtastic

hi would you mind sending me a copy of the accounts template plz..

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Hi Gloomtastic,

Could I get a copy of that as well?

Thanks,

IM

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Hi Gloomtastic,

Could I get a copy of that as well?

Many thanks

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maria77

Hi Gloomtastic,
    Would you mind sending accounts template please. PM too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maria77

Thank you very much Gloomtastic - thats lovely, something to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Hi Gloomtastic,

Could I also get a copy? I will PM you now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Hi Gloomtastic

Would also appreciate a copy of this package that everyone here is so happy with.

Starting a new small venture in two weeks and would be great to keep outgoings as tight as possible for first 12 months.

I have pmd you

Advertisement