Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CS Grad employers here, how much credence do you give to the awarding institute?

Options
  • 26-08-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I hear the occasional rumblings about the supposed strength of various degree programs and was just wondering if this sways employers decision making?

As someone currently attending what seems like a weak degree program, I am wondering if I should be looking to transfer or just ignore it and differentiate myself through open source work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Personally I'd pay less attention to the awarding institution and more to the strengths of the candidate - how passionate they are, what work they've done on their own time beyond class projects, and just generally how smart they come across in an interview.

Having said that, given two seemingly equivalent candidates, I'd probably go with the one that comes from the better institution - I think they'd be more likely to have a better grounding in the fundamentals. That's debatable though, and in practice you rarely have two equivalent candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Gybe wrote: »
    I hear the occasional rumblings about the supposed strength of various degree programs and was just wondering if this sways employers decision making?

As someone currently attending what seems like a weak degree program, I am wondering if I should be looking to transfer or just ignore it and differentiate myself through open source work?

What do you dislike about your course or what about it makes you think it is a weak degree program? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gybe

MagicRon wrote: »
    What do you dislike about your course or what about it makes you think it is a weak degree program? Just curious.

Lack of a mathematics core and a lack of focus on fundamentals. The modules meandered through flashy technologies which provided no learning experience whatsoever, assignments could be completed by copy/pasting with some editing. No real understanding was required as all the technical aspects were implemented by the tutors which was frustrating to say the least.

Honestly I am going through this for the piece of paper mostly and the foot in the door that comes along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stamply

NCI?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gybe

Stamply wrote: »
    NCI?

No, not an Irish institute.

Just asking here as the developer community is quite strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

When looking at your CV, i'd be more interested on what projects you did, and evidence of high level use of frameworks, patterns and practices. You will need to have done well in college so we know you're serious enough to commit to the role. So having a degree with a 2.1 stands to you, we may not know about the course you did. The interview will quickly determine if you are a chancer anyway.

Advertisement