Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guitar for live gigging

• 26-08-2012 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

When we are buying guitars and play a few,and choose the sound/feel/how it plays etc...Would that guitar sound good through amp speakers? I suppose what I am asking is,...Is there a price you should pay for a gigging guitar,that would be more expensive,than if it was just for pleasure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

DT100 wrote: »
    When we are buying guitars and play a few,and choose the sound/feel/how it plays etc...Would that guitar sound good through amp speakers? I suppose what I am asking is,...Is there a price you should pay for a gigging guitar,that would be more expensive,than if it was just for pleasure?

Not really. If anything I'd gig with something less expensive if you've got a guitar you cherish and don't want damaged or stolen etc. What you want is something solid and reliable, yet sounds and plays well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Rubbish,

Buy the guitar you like and use it for gigging. Why bother getting a cheap one just for gigs. Just look after it when you out and about. Proper case heck maybe get the thing insured if your that worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Rubbish,

Buy the guitar you like and use it for gigging. Why bother getting a cheap one just for gigs. Just look after it when you out and about. Proper case heck maybe get the thing insured if your that worried.

I was just trying to find out if I should be looking for something special for a guitar put through gear for a gig..I am not talking about buying a cheap one,just wanting advice.I wouldnt consider any reply to my posts as rubbish,and if I buy big,heck,I may even insure it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

you'll play better on a guitar that you feel good playing.

I have friends who put all thier guitar budget into one excellent guitar.

others who have 5 cheaper ones.

each to thier own, but I personally play the best instrument I can, every time I can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DT100 wrote: »
    I might be misunderstanding what you're asking but personally I have never bought a guitar with gigging in mind. I've bought them because they played well, were a well-priced deal or most recently because I got a ferocious GAS attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Op,

I picked my bass cause it played well, sounded amazing without and amp and is of solid construction and would cover all the genres that I play.

While I do agree bearing in mind it's gigability is important however what does a gigable instrument look like????

For me I knew I was getting a solid build.

However when it comes to amps! Yes, I certainly now assertain it's quality prior to buying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I recon you need to play as many as possible, cheap and expensive. You will find that sometimes the cheaper guitar will out-shine the more expensive guitar. Try not read into the name too much as every make of guitar has its excellent ones & dogs.
    It's all about what feels, sounds & plays good to YOU whether it costs €300 or €3000.
    Happy hunting !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Yeah maybe I didnt put the first post across very well..as someone posted above, I was asking about the gigability of a mid price guitar.I was in a shop today and played a lag guitar.It was around the 470 mark,but it felt and played very well.I have played many years myself just for pleasure,I have a Takamine.My son picked up the guitar last year,has made good progress,has done a couple of stints in pubs.He has an entry level Tanglewood,which wouldnt be good enough for a gig.I hope its explained better now.I will be asking about speakers and amps somewhere next...He has the bug.....thanks all...He may get me back in the game:D

Advertisement