Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 710 or similar price range ? opinions sought

Options
  • 26-08-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Just want to know what any users think of this phone , as i think its a great price at the moment at €170 sim free, brand new. and want to hear some feeback before paying out.

Others feel free to reccomend phone in similar price range

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just want to know what any users think of this phone , as i think its a great price at the moment at €170 sim free, brand new. and want to hear some feeback before paying out.

Others feel free to reccomend phone in similar price range

For 170 euro you can't really get much better. Its fast, got a good screen, plenty of apps. Only thing that might bother some is the 8GB of memory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The free Nokia Drive is excellent! and the Nokia Music is pretty good too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It has no upgrade path to 8. Thats the main problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

BostonB wrote: »
    very good point . especially with 8 due this year

The problem with that is how long will there be applications for it?

• Advertisement

The problem with that is how long will there be applications for it?
    Safer to go for an android based phone at the moment so you think?

In the same relative price range would i be right in thinking the samsung galaxy ace is a good purchase?

That said microsoft said its firmly commited to supporting the windows 7 phones , and the next major update will make give it he same startup and look as a windows 8 phone .
    I prefer the look of the windows OS

My basis understanding is as follows.

The latest Android version is 4.0 however most android phone of 2.2 and higher can use most of their apps. But I would get a phone that has 4.0 or and ICS upgrade is promised for it. Many android phones have been dropped so are stuck on the version their are on. So be careful what you buy.

On Apple is on iOS 5.0 with 6 due with the new iPhone 5. While 6 is meant to ok on a iPhone 3GS, I expect it will be very slow on that. I know old ipods stuck on iOS 4 can no longer get apps for the app store.

Windows 7 Mobile is currently on 7.5 with an upgrade to 7.8 promised. They won't be upgraded to 8.

Obviously you can jailbreak or root your phone and get an unofficial update, but most people won't do that. A smart phone is mainly useful because of its apps. If you can't get apps then it becomes a lot less useful. The exception to that if you get an old of date phone really cheap, it might be worth it for the features like camera, gps etc mp3 player, radio alone.

I love to try a Windows 7 phone, but they are too expensive. if they dropped in price I'd try one. But I'd not pay full price for one now. When you can get something like the Ascend G300 for 129 on Vodafone.

There will always be applications for it. Galaxy Ace is a slow buggy Android phone. It was good a year ago cause itwas the best for the price, now its junk really. Its on gingerbread. It will never see ICS or JB.

What would the opinions on this phone be
    Samsung I8350 Omnia W

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-I8350-Omnia-Mobile-Phone/dp/B0067G15ZK/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346150722&sr=1-6

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_omnia_w-review-693.php

seems a good phone in that price range , and i do some mountain biking etc so a phone with gorilla glass is a plus imo.

Im not a huge app person , i will get some useful ones but no way will i be always on the lookout for the latest and greatest.

Only apps compiled to run on WP8 won't run on WP7.8. The new SDK allows you to compile your apps run on both WP7.8 and WP8.

A developer would not be able to compile for WP7.8 if the app they are writting supports some hardware that isn't on a WP7.8 phone.

• Advertisement

Samsung I8350 Omnia W

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-I8350-Omnia-Mobile-Phone/dp/B0067G15ZK/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346150722&sr=1-6

seems a good phone in that price range , and i do some mountain biking etc so a phone with gorilla glass is a plus imo.

Im not a huge app person , i will get some useful ones but no way will i be always on the lookout for the latest and greatest.

Never played with that one, had Omnia 7 before and it was a very good phone, sturdy, good camera, good battery life, good speaker.

Id imagine the W is an upgrade/replacement to that. Gorrila Glass or not id get a screen protector. Had plenty of phones with gorilla glass and they all get scratch, not easily but you get a scuff or two without an idea how it got there.

Never had any of them cracked though!

Never played with that one, had Omnia 7 before and it was a very good phone, sturdy, good camera, good battery life, good speaker.

Id imagine the W is an upgrade/replacement to that. Gorrila Glass or not id get a screen protector. Had plenty of phones with gorilla glass and they all get scratch, not easily but you get a scuff or two without an idea how it got there.

Never had any of them cracked though!
    Ya i would still be getting a screen protector its more for an extra bit of piece of mind when im doing outdoor sports etc.
    I would also be purchasing a case , the flip type or pouch type.

Samsung I8350 Omnia W

The Lumia would be the better option. Nokia have been by far the best manufacture for supporting their windows phones. They have released a lot of very useful extra's which will only get better. They are also commited to bringing further updates to the current range of Lumia's. Nokia Drive is just one good reason to chose the Lumia, you won't find a better Sat Nav on Windows phone and the Nokia Drive is free! It also has gorilla glass.

Nokia Drive,
    Nokia Music,
    Nokia Maps,
    Nokia Transport,
    Contacts Transfer,
    Play To,
    Camera Extras,

AntiVirus wrote: »
    The Lumia would be the better option. Nokia have been by far the best manufacture for supporting their windows phones. They have released a lot of very useful extra's which will only get better. They are also commited to bringing further updates to the current range of Lumia's. Nokia Drive is just one good reason to chose the Lumia, you won't find a better Sat Nav on Windows phone and the Nokia Drive is free! It also has gorilla glass.

Nokia Drive,
    Nokia Music,
    Nokia Maps,
    Nokia Transport,
    Contacts Transfer,
    Play To,
    Camera Extras,

Specs vs price im looking at now
    Samsung omina w sim free brand new is coming in around €250
    Lumia 710 coming in around €175

heres a head to head with the phone very little between them, not 75 euros worth of difference anyway, with user comments prefering the omnia screen etc.

Will i bite the bullet and commit to the lumia, the lumia also has the advantage of a wider range of accessories the samsung has a poor choice of cases/covers in comparison .

Lumia :)

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Lumia :)
    Ya i think so , this is the comparison i meant to post in the last post.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_omnia_w_vs_nokia_lumia_710-review-715.php

Not a lot between them in the end except 75 euros.
    And i think in this price range i may just trust nokias build quality more.

Thanks for all the help guys i have ordered the lumia 710 for €175 ,
    i think at this price range even if i wanted to upgrade in a year of more i would be fine with it, whereas if i shelled out €300+ i would want to be getting a good few years out of a phone to justify it.

Thanks for that i did glance at the article when doing my research , i will see what performance is in normal every day use situations, and then see if a battery upgrade is worth it or not.

I may not need it as im in classes a lot of the day so cant be messing with it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Thanks for all the help guys i have ordered the lumia 710 for €175 ,
    i think at this price range even if i wanted to upgrade in a year of more i would be fine with it, whereas if i shelled out €300+ i would want to be getting a good few years out of a phone to justify it.

Where are you getting it at that price?

• Advertisement

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Where are you getting it at that price?
    Amazon.co.uk.

They seem to be very competitve price wise for brand new sim free phones ,
    and its from amazon not a reseller to hopefully if there are any issues it will be solved

I really dont understand the market here everywhere stocks only the lumia 800 or the 610 and is ignoring the mid range pick of the litter.

I think the 610 feels a nicer phone, but they've removed some windows functionality due to low ram I think. Some apps/games won't run. Bit pointless.

Advertisement