Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel tour ,would I be mad ?

Options
  • 26-08-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    I'm considering doing the rebel tour next month (160k) and just looking for advice. I took up cycling in June ,am 40 years old and reasonably fit, I do about 120k a week over 2 trips. I did the tour de Kilkenny a few weeks back (70k) without any bother, did the Sean Kelly today (100k) and had a little bit left in the tank.
    Would I be overdoing it to try 160k in 3 weeks time ?
    Has anyone here done this route before ?
    If I was to do it ,what kind of training would I need to do over next 3 weeks ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Depends on the climbs , am the same type of level as yourself but one nasty hill that you are not used to cold floor you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

This is the route/profile for the 160 Km rebel tour this year, 4 cat 1 climbs :eek: and a few others to test your pain threshold, it will be nearly as difficult as today's 160 Km. Not for the fool hardy imo, i'll be happy with the 85.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/97342447

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is the route/profile for the 160 Km rebel tour this year, 4 cat 1 climbs :eek: and a few others to test your pain threshold, it will be nearly as difficult as today's 160 Km. Not for the fool hardy imo, i'll be happy with the 85.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/97342447
    That's not 4 cat 1 climbs. That's 1 cat 4 climb. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Have to agree with funnights74. I did a lot of the rebel tour route (except caha pass) a couple of weeks ago, and I did the skt 160 today and tbh, I found the ring berra tougher. I think it's because apart from the big climbs like healy pass and caha pass, there's very little flat road, particularly after Castletown Bere, a lot of short sharp up and downs that wear you down. Once you get to Allihies, there are no short cuts home either. The 85km route looks much more doable and takes in some great scenery.

awec wrote: »
    That's not 4 cat 1 climbs. That's 1 cat 4 climb. :D

Ha ha sorry, my mistake, but still a very lumpy route, in west Cork, in September. No thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

I hate to ever discourage anyone from pushing themselves, but I think the step up from the 100km event today to that 160km would be huge. It's not so much the distance as it is the terrain. The Beara Peninsula provides some of the toughest cycling in the country I reckon. There is one 10-15km stretch in particular out around Allihies and Eyeries which is constantly up and down. Really knocks the stuffing out of you. Not to mention the four climbs proper (Caha, Healy, Carriganine, and Healy again). None of these are hard climbs, apart from a nasty ramp towards the end of the Healy Pass, but all that climbing would add up.

A more realistic target for somebody who has just taken up cycling would be the shorter 85km event on the same day. You'd still get to do the Caha Pass and Healy Pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

pnudj wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm considering doing the rebel tour next month (160k) and just looking for advice. I took up cycling in June ,am 40 years old and reasonably fit, I do about 120k a week over 2 trips. I did the tour de Kilkenny a few weeks back (70k) without any bother, did the Sean Kelly today (100k) and had a little bit left in the tank.

Thanks

i think the rebel 85 will be tougher than the SKT 100

Yes i agree, out of the 100 Km today 3 Km were hard, the first part of the Knockanore climb, weather conditions were good and the roads were for the most part pretty decent.
    West Cork in September, on heavy roads will be a very different proposition, at the finish most guys will feel like they have done well over 100 Km. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I do the Ring of Beara about 4 or 5 times a year. It is one of my favourite cycles.

I agree with Coastwatch and Cantalach. They know those roads.

Caha Pass is a drag but it is long and you will be hitting it cold.
    The road from Kenmare to the base of the Healy Pass is bloody heavy and hard going - usually into a headwind.

Healy Pass. First 4k is handy enough actually, but the last km and a bit ramps up. Steepest at the top.bye descent is very challenging.
    6 switchbacks, gravel, sheep and heavy roads.

Castletownbere to Eyeries.
    This is what Flanders must be like. One drag out of Castletown then 5 short sharp climbs. By short, none is over 1km. By sharp, the gradient hits 30%. When you are finished that you will be shattered.
    From Allihies the road is draggy to Lauragh then you have to climb Healy Pass again - with 135km in the legs.
    From base of Healy Pass there is a false flat for much o the road back to Glengariff.

This is one of the best cycles in the world IMHO. Truly stunning.
    It is very very tough and very rewarding.
    I wouldn't disuade anyone from doing it, but do prepare appropriately.
    If you can do 5-6 hours in the bike doing three long climbs and loads of short steep Walls then you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pnudj

Thanks for that lads, seems like I was going to bite off more than I could chew , think I'll go for the 85k , probably more suited to my level.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    I do the Ring of Beara about 4 or 5 times a year. It is one of my favourite cycles.

The road from Kenmare to the base of the Healy Pass is bloody heavy and hard going - usually into a headwind.

Healy Pass. First 4k is handy enough actually, but the last km and a bit ramps up. Steepest at the top.bye descent is very challenging.

This is what Flanders must be like. One drag out of Castletown then 5 short sharp climbs. By short, none is over 1km. By sharp, the gradient hits 30%. When you are finished that you will be shattered.
    From Allihies the road is draggy to Lauragh then you have to climb Healy Pass again - with 135km in the legs.
    From base of Healy Pass there is a false flat for much o the road back to Glengariff.

If you can do 5-6 hours in the bike doing three long climbs and loads of short steep Walls then you will be fine.

Jesus what a terrifying description :eek:, if i was considering doing the 160 after reading that I'ld definitely change my mind. Torturous stuff.

scari01 wrote: »
    jjaSNBcjPQCNQCUPOCL

this doesnt bode well...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Hi all,

Thanks

Is there any crying smiley?!

Oh, gonna suffer in 3wks time if thats the case :(

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Is there any crying smiley?!

Oh, gonna suffer in 3wks time if thats the case :(
    You'll be grand!

Jersey for the rebel tour, hopefully they'll have enough of the right sizes.

http://www.corksports.ie/contentFiles/newsImages/rebel%20tour%20jersey%20png.png

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

ROK ON wrote: »

Oooh this is going to be fun :cool: Dont forget the wind we had for last years rebel tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Saw a tern 'world of pain' mentioned on some post here. That just about summed up my attempt to do the RT 165k, that followed me taking some positives vibes from someones experience. Didnt realise they were at a different level. Did a 1st cycle a couple of years ago, the ROK with minimum training and prep and found that enjoyable . Covered 180k that day. Then did the RT 85K after that and felt that was a different beast but wanted to go back last year and do the 165. Start on my own , take it easy etc etc. Christ was I wrong, By the time I got to the last food stop with about 50k to go including Healy pass I was in bits, really f**ked. On speaking to other guys who would be 30kph level, they say this is a serious 165k and I'd agree with that. If you're a 20kph approx speed forget it. I was tailed off with 50 to go. While the views at the far end are fantastic its getting back is the problem. Meanwhile looking forward to this year again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

I'm seriously thinking of going in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Did the RT and the SK160 last year, both for the first time. Enjoyed both a lot but the scenery out beyond Allahies really made the RT special. It's definitely tougher than the SK but worth it if you have enough training in the legs. Like others here, I hate to dissuade anyone from taking on what for me the best cycle of the year but ... If you are doing this solo and have not done 75% of the distance and climbing before on a sportif, you might be better working up to it.

if you cant decide on the 85 V 165, you can turn right in Castletownbere for Eyries, knocking off about 40km, catching the horde there.
    But you'll miss out whats probably the most scenic part, and toughest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Happy Zapper

I agree with Roger, its not a race so why not set yourself the 160 target, in my experience once you are comfortable with 100K spins the 160 is the next logical step. I have convinced guys who are in a similar position to yourself regarding being new to cycling to always take the next step, yes its tougher and you will suffer more but the sense of achievement are greater. You will find many on the day doing the very same thing so don't worry about being left on the road.

Let us know how you get on and best of luck

Rob

Advertisement