Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenOffice???

Options
  • 26-08-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

One Simple Question:

Is it any good?

I need Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access for my work. Instead of paying good money to Microsoft I am considering OpenOffice.

So, is it any good???

Thanks in advance!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes

as is Libre Office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Many linux distros come with Libre Office as standard, and having used it in an office environment I can confirm that it's very good. I haven't used Open Office in a long time but I imagine they are very similar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try before you buy :)
    open templates and files and emails you already have

that's the lovely thing about open source

Tip: If you try the portable version of libreoffice you don't even need to install it

For creating your own documents , perfectly ok

For using someone else's documents , usually ok
    unless they have go mad on the formatting or have complicated macros it's usually OK

There is no replacement for Access yet - Base is very different

Impress is great if you are using a projector :)

Draw is like Visio Lite - different file formats but a lot cheaper than visio
    Publisher doesn't share files with anything else - perhaps use Inkscape instead ?

if you need to give docs to other people then you can generate pdf's

you can also install microsoft word / excel / powerpoint viewers to check stuff you are sending to others

at the end of the day if you need 100% compatability for all features with other microsoft office users then you have to buy the same version of office they are using

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Publisher doesn't share files with anything else - perhaps use Inkscape instead ?
    I would have said Scribus.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

at the end of the day if you need 100% compatability for all features with other microsoft office users then you have to buy the same version of office they are using

That is the real Bollox about it. There are so many different versions of Office going around, 97 (anybody still using?), 2000, XP, 07, 10 and I am told there is a 13 coming out, and compatability between some versions is a touch dodgey!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

From MS Office 2010 there is a prompt to use Open XML or ODF as the default file format, so I guess *if* people start choosing the ODF option then we *might* finally start to address that issue!

Advertisement