Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent owed

Options
  • 26-08-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Tenant moved into house. Signed 6 month lease.

Rent to be paid into bank account monthly.

tenant didnt pay due to them not having been paid.

tenant given time.

6 months pass, tenant pays 1 months rent. Rest due shortly.

no other payments recieved.

tenant moved out after 12 months and dont have an address just mobile no.

any chance i can get the cash or would it be very difficult?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Unless its a very honest person I wouldn't hold out too much hope.
    Did you get a deposit from the tenant?
    I'm sorry but to be blunt 5 months waiting for rent sounds like a bs story to me.
    I would ring them and ask for their address asap,
    Personally i think they have taken advantage of your good nature - 1 months rent in 6 is just taking the proverbial.
    Was the tenant supposed to be getting rent allowance?

where is the rent

i must have the rent

quators , dimes & nickles i need them all right now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Please clarify this story- or I'm closing the thread- as it simply doesn't ring true.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

How would you like me to clarify the story?

seemed like an honest person, required time to receive payment and didnt have savings. I gave them time. What other details do you require?

I do believe they are a good person who has fallen on hard times but I have expenses also.

have no adress and mobile not being answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think you have no hope, sorry. You could lodge with the PRTB, but it's probably hopeless if you don't have a forwarding address.

It was foolish and naive to let 5 months arrears build up, but I'm sure you know that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

How would you like me to clarify the story?

seemed like an honest person, required time to receive payment and didnt have savings. I gave them time. What other details do you require?

I do believe they are a good person who has fallen on hard times but I have expenses also.

have no adress and mobile not being answered.

Not a chance.... If this story is true you really need to get your act together as a land lord . I HAD been known to be a pushover but after a few stings you wise up. Chalk it down to experience... But 6 months man???? Crikey! Was she good looking lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If they've moved out already, and lived there for 12 months, and you let them away with paying one months rent in all that time?

Cop the f*ck on, of course you're not going to get another 11 months rent out of them!!! I'd be extremely surprised if you got another penny out of them.

Lesson learnt for next time, I hope.

Lesson learned.

I hear the prtb are more or less useless in this situation.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Are you the landlord OP, or a house-mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Lesson learned.

I hear the prtb are more or less useless in this situation.

Thanks for the advice.
    In this case you can't blame the PRTB. If you don't have their current address then the PRTB cannot forward details of a claim against them.

There are many, many instances of claims for rent arrears (about 28% of all claims to the PRTB are about arrears of rent) and the majority won by the landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Being a landlord requires basic levels of intelligence and cop on.

If you allow a tenant not to pay rent for 6 months then you deserve to get stung.

Hopefully this will teach you a valuable lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Its quite simple, you should have been getting paid....
    I don't know where along the lines you thought "ahh sure I'll just let it slide...."
    The whole point of renting a property is for the dollar to be in your pocket at the end of each month....
    You should get with the program!
    Sounds a bit harsh, but you need to get it together if your going to rent your property!

It was actually my aunts house but i have met the temant a number of times. The events played out as above but she would be a bit of a soft touch. I do believe if the former tenants financial situation improves some money will be paid and now there is a letting agent in place who has been told to keep on top of things. Thanks again for the advice. Stressfull to be a landlord eh!

Advertisement