Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrest at Pat Rabbitte lunch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Did any of yous watch the full video the lad that got aressted was'nt the one shouting his head off.:mad: he did'nt do anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Why didn't you credit the person who filmed it, or the Times article you cut and pasted into the video description?

...Because simply I forgot to do it in my hurrying to get a number of other things done at home (having four young kids will do that when they are running mad indoors on a bad day - roll on Thursday and they are back to school!).
    However I'm grateful that you pointed this out and its been corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

juice1304 wrote: »
    Did any of yous watch the full video the lad that got aressted was'nt the one shouting his head off.:mad: he did'nt do anything.

I heard people saying that but wasn't sure if they had totally the wrong fella of just not the main one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

But he would have to have committed an offence. Possibly they asked him to leave as he was annoying other guests and he refused but that wasn't in the video so it would be interesting to see.

He wouldn't need to be committing an offence and he was annoying to a guest- pat rabitte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Golda Meir wrote: »
    Haha thanks for that OP. The video gave me a laugh. We should make life as miserable as possible for all our politicians. These pigs claim thousands of euro of our tax money in expenses, on top of their ridiculous wages. (Enda Kenny earns more than Obama? Um hello??) We are paying for their 4 course meals, their holidays to Barbados, even their double quilted luxurious toilet paper with which they wipe their pampered arses! Politicians are the scum of the earth. Be sure to shout abuse at them every time you seem them cross the street.

Have you ever considered a career as a speech writer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I hate to say it but the odd bit of a hassling would do these lads like Pat Rabbitte, Phil Hogan and the likes no harm. Politicians are far enough detached from reality these days and well isolated from the general public who will suffer the consequences of their unpopular decisions.

So if a lad breaks in and shouts a bit abuse at him while he's having a meal, or a ****, or whatever else he might be doing in that hotel that's no harm because it will remind him that not everyone is living the great life he's living.

When you're well looked after and have a good job like these lads its very easy to forget that it's not like that for everyone. Before their first wages gets transferred in their account they've already thrown the pre election promises out the window and are saying "ah sure another bit of tax, will do em no harm, they'll buy the 535d next year instead"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

humberklog wrote: »
    He wouldn't need to be committing an offence and he was annoying to a guest- pat rabitte.

You can't just get the police to arrest someone as a favour or whatever... there has to be a purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Pat Rabbite isn't very well liked in Wicklow.
    Union me harse. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

He didn't even stop stuffing his face during that:mad:

It really has become a case of "Oh dear Lord, will this rabble please be quiet, you really are disturbing my lunch my good fellow. I say, can somebody take this, this "person" away?. Ah yes, jolly good, a Guard. I would be obliged if you would remove him and if not him anyone else remotely like him away while I finish up here. Good stuff eh"

On a side not:
    Does anyone know if there have been successful lawsuits for wrongful arrest in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

policarp wrote: »
    Union me harse. . .

Thats about 40 years ago now

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Lapin wrote: »
    No.

If more and more people did what this man did, the politicians will simply have their lunch in the comfort of Leinster House out of sight from the general public.

Then nobody would be able to confront them.

At least let the man have his feckin dinner first.

Freedom of speech is fine when used properly but basic manners are more important.

some people can't afford dinners in this country.

my main question is is

are teacups in Ireland getting a lot smaller, or are our politician fat cats just getting bigger.

;)

my main question is is

are teacups in Ireland getting a lot smaller, or are our politician fat cats just getting bigger.

;)

A lot them soon get larger it could be argued.
    I suppose two bars and one restaurant in the Dail building alone would aid that.

...And just on the subject of food:
    Earlier this month a Freedom of Information request by the Evening Herald revealed politicians left behind a bar and restaurant bill of €65,000 this summer. The majority of the money related to bills run up at the Oireachtas restaurant where members left an outstanding sum of over €54,000.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/bar-and-restaurant-tabs-574079-Aug2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Rabbite is a self righteous ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pat was probably eating a free dinner anyway. Those lads don't pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

My favourite bit of the video was yer one off screen chiming in and trying to whip up the other diners.

Seriously, though, why would anyone sane bedoing this? It's counter-productive to scream abuse at anyone while they're having lunch. It reinforces their view that the people who disagree with them are nutters. Moreover, Pat Rabbitte is hardly going to wilt under pressure and say 'you're right, I'm so sorry, my life is a lie - I'm going to tell the IMF and bondholders to f*** off, then go hang meself'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Pat Rabbitte was on radio yesterday implying certain sections of society shouldn't be going to local or national representatives on issues he disagrees with them on. That it is regressive to give certain sections of society a hearing.

Well he is from the communist wing of the Labour party.

geeky wrote: »
    My favourite bit of the video was yer one off screen chiming in and trying to whip up the other diners.

Seriously, though, why would anyone sane bedoing this? It's counter-productive to scream abuse at anyone while they're having lunch. It reinforces their view that the people who disagree with them are nutters. Moreover, Pat Rabbitte is hardly going to wilt under pressure and say 'you're right, I'm so sorry, my life is a lie - I'm going to tell the IMF and bondholders to f*** off, then go hang meself'.

The man was upset for the reasons he related. I bet not too many of Rabbitte's friends committed suicide over money issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

28064212 wrote: »
    Shouting abuse at someone having their lunch is free speech now?

Actually yes it is, I didn't hear any personal abuse or insults in that clip. The man didn't physically threaten the muppet he was addressing. The muppet in the seat is well used to shouting down opponents in the Dáil everyday. And we aren't just talking about 'someone' here, we are talking about a power hungry hypocrite, his posturing quickly stopped upon entering government. Him and his fellow clowns have done FF proud, by meekly facilitating our shafting. No surprise at all that the gormless idiot just sat there and continued to stuff himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

So you could say he was in the wrong borough:D

........I'll get me coat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What exactly was Rabbitte supposed to say to the nutter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Union me harse. . .
    Thats about 40 years ago now

What happened in Wicklow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I lol'ed. Awaiting a mash-up or remix........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

anncoates wrote: »

"you want some food?

"Because I would rather stuff my face when I hear of four suicides a day than to hear of anyone under the rule of this government would even want to commit suicide"

"Are you sure you got your facts, right?"

"People love this government and are having even more babies under our rule, even if we want less of them"

"...and the Germans love us"

anncoates wrote: »

Lettuce have peace ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

No.

At least let the man have his feckin dinner first.

Freedom of speech is fine when used properly but basic manners are more important.

Typical!! One (French) rabbit defending another Rabbitte!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭SIR PEADO BAILOUT

I`d like to cordially invite Pat Rat**** to lunch and arrest him for being an ugly cnut,any issue with that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't like people using suicide as a way to argue their points

He does it there
    The taximen do it a lot also

Emotional blackmail, what are you supposed to say realy if someone brings it up?

mikemac1 wrote: »

He does it there

Emotional blackmail, what are you supposed to say realy if someone brings it up?

"I'm sorry that it happens and I wouldn't wish it on anyone or their family.
    Its not for me to conjecture on people that do it - I've probably never been in their exact unfortunate tough situation."

He does it there

i think it was that dumbo ahearn that started doing that. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SlaneyCider

He does it there

http://www.thejournal.ie/sharp-increase-in-suicide-rate-is-linked-to-recession-experts-479033-Jun2012/
    Its a viable argument, facts are facts and i've witnessed it personally. They couldnt give 2 flyin fúcks, its only statistics and numbers to them, this is whats happening in every town and village in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

FFS politicians are there to be challenged and confronted peacefully by the electorate.
    But they also entitled to have a lunch break and unwind for an hour or so.
    I'm accountable to my supervisor, as politicians are accountable to the electorate.
    But if my supervisor started pulling me up on my break I'd be straight to HR.
    There's a time and a place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Stinicker wrote: »
    Misguided man, why dosen't ho go and annoy Bertie Ahern or some other Fianna Failer who were the ones who bankrupted Ireland and caused all this mess.

Rabbitte is man who calls it like it is

They are not in government any more, they have their meals at home, where nobody can find them. So you can only annoy the current government who is still not able to get the country out of the mess, but rather carries on like the old government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

http://www.thejournal.ie/sharp-increase-in-suicide-rate-is-linked-to-recession-experts-479033-Jun2012/
    Its a viable argument, facts are facts and i've witnessed it personally. They couldnt give 2 flyin fúcks, its only statistics and numbers to them, this is whats happening in every town and village in Ireland
    And randomly shouting the stats at the Minister for Communications is going to help people, is it?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How is it a viable argument? What in the thundering fnck do you expect the current government to do about people killing themselves due to the economic situation? There isn't a big pot of money they can dip into, to suddenly stop people's businesses from failing and their jobs from being lost.

It has to be just numbers and figures, otherwise you make stupid emotive decisions like building a major hospital in Kenmare.

Blaming the government for every suicide is just emotive nonsense. It doesn't serve any purpose. When things go down the ****ter, people will kill themselves. It's not a nice thing, but it happens. And hey, look, we're in the ****ter. But how do you expect him to respond? "Oh, yeah, sorry about that, I'll get right onto fixing it".

As far as I can tell from the guy's rant, he's just ranting for the sake of ranting instead of actually telling the minister what he thinks the government are doing wrong. "People are dying" and "I lost my farm", are meaningless. The guy thinks he's making a difference, but he's not. He's just ranting.

Do you think the government are unaware of how people feel? Do you think that until this man decided to vent his spleen that the minister thought that everything was rosy and happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

seamus wrote: »
    How is it a viable argument? What in the thundering fnck do you expect the current government to do about people killing themselves due to the economic situation? There isn't a big pot of money they can dip into, to suddenly stop people's businesses from failing and their jobs from being lost.

It has to be just numbers and figures, otherwise you make stupid emotive decisions like building a major hospital in Kenmare.

Blaming the government for every suicide is just emotive nonsense. It doesn't serve any purpose. When things go down the ****ter, people will kill themselves. It's not a nice thing, but it happens. And hey, look, we're in the ****ter. But how do you expect him to respond? "Oh, yeah, sorry about that, I'll get right onto fixing it".

As far as I can tell from the guy's rant, he's just ranting for the sake of ranting instead of actually telling the minister what he thinks the government are doing wrong. "People are dying" and "I lost my farm", are meaningless. The guy thinks he's making a difference, but he's not. He's just ranting.

Do you think the government are unaware of how people feel? Do you think that until this man decided to vent his spleen that the minister thought that everything was rosy and happy?

Maybe they are, but they still give a toss. Once you have your fat ministerial salary, you are well off, whereas almost everyone else is hit by wage cuts, price hikes, tax hikes, etc.

But acting like a clown like that man won't help either.

FFS politicians are there to be challenged and confronted peacefully by the electorate.
    But they also entitled to have a lunch break and unwind for an hour or so.
    I'm accountable to my supervisor, as politicians are accountable to the electorate.
    But if my supervisor started pulling me up on my break I'd be straight to HR.
    There's a time and a place

the difference is the YOU are working for YOUR SUPERVISOR

these pack of numpties are supposed to be working for US, THE PEOPLE

Instead, all they seem to do is get fatter by the day - and they have no real interest in the people - they only seem to have interest in their money, pension, etc. biding time till they get it.

Summed up, here is my thoughts, short version.

1. The meal should not have been interrupted in the way it was.
    2. The first man having a go at Rabbit did have some very valid points and I feel justified in being angry over some of them. His timing unfortunate.
    3. No one is doing themselves any long or even short term favours and/or advancing their position by acting in a manner that frankly denigrates their overall argument/points.
    4. Rabbit should have at least told someone that the wrong man was being arrested. He should have spoke up on that.
    5. I acknowledge that no matter what Rabbit might have said to the man, a long argument might have ensued, in which that neither side would really be listening to the other and the forum for those discussions was possibly inappropriate and impracticable anyway.
    5. Legally, the first man could be at least charged with possibly causing a breach of the peace.

For starters people foolishly voted them in on false promises, they claim to be a 'party of the workers', while they back right-wings cuts in the most unecessary places, hittin the most vulnerable. The man is venting his anger at the people at the top, which he rightly should, we're all fuming with the state of this government. You might say, theres ways and means of going about it, but what options do we have, people are not hitting the street in mass protests.
    They should have pulled out of the IMF/EU/ECB bail out immediatly soon as they got into gov. Instances of depression will soar as long as it takes to pay the greedy fat capitalist pigs back while young families are struggling to survive on the breadline, literally
    Obviously they aint showing much compassion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah, I see. You just don't really have a clue at all about how international agreements work and the reality of managing a country.

It's all about screwing over the "capitalist pigs" and thinking about the children, isn't it?

The argument that this government have backtracked on their manifestos is a fallacy. There have been a few unfifilled and failed promises, as one would expect of any elected official, but as far as I can tell most people are actually angry at themselves because they were silly enough to think that a new government would be capable of fixing the country overnight.

When they're told it'll actually take a few years and a whole lot of pain, they get angry even though it was as plain as the nose on their face that there was no other way to proceed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Maybe not but good manners cost nothing.

I don't see the point in your response by the way.

I heard he felt great after it though.

Biggins wrote: »
    Summed up, here is my thoughts, short version.

1. The meal should not have been interrupted in the way it was.
    2. The first man having a go at Rabbit did have some very valid points and I feel justified in being angry over some of them. His timing unfortunate.
    3. No one is doing themselves any long or even short term favours and/or advancing their position by acting in a manner that frankly denigrates their overall argument/points.
    4. Rabbit should have at least told someone that the wrong man was being arrested. He should have spoke up on that.
    5. I acknowledge that no matter what Rabbit might have said to the man, a long argument might have ensued, in which that neither side would really be listening to the other and the forum for those discussions was possibly inappropriate and impracticable anyway.
    5. Legally, the first man could be at least charged with possibly causing a breach of the peace.

I would have loved to have been there to have witnessed it but i don't think i could have afforded it.
    No sympathy for him at all. He used every opportunity in his time to have a go at people to win points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

:cool:

Well it was me that put it there on Youtube! :D

Do you have the unedited footage?

Maybe not but good manners cost nothing.

I don't see the point in your response by the way.

that's okay. I'm sure others do.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. You just don't really have a clue at all about how international agreements work and the reality of managing a country.

It's all about screwing over the "capitalist pigs" and thinking about the children, isn't it?

The argument that this government have backtracked on their manifestos is a fallacy. There have been a few unfifilled and failed promises, as one would expect of any elected official, but as far as I can tell most people are actually angry at themselves because they were silly enough to think that a new government would be capable of fixing the country overnight.

When they're told it'll actually take a few years and a whole lot of pain, they get angry even though it was as plain as the nose on their face that there was no other way to proceed.
    When you have 2 kids like meself to raise, obviously it is! Its the middle and upper classes interests they're accomodating. I cant even get on a FAS course to earn an extra 50euro on top of my social, im hitting a brick wall everywhere i go like everyone else. Im angry at the people who were so stupid to vote them in aswell.
    What promises have been fulfilled??

MagicSean wrote: »
    Do you have the unedited footage?

Only what was provided to The Times (England) and passed onto the public.

Who are these people who cant afford dinner in Ireland? Spending the dole etc on non necessities is the only way you could starve in ireland.. Unless you spend 30 euro a day on food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Only what was provided to The Times (England) and passed onto the public.

I'm sure it'll never see the light of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Who are these people who cant afford dinner in Ireland? Spending the dole etc on non necessities is the only way you could starve in ireland.. Unless you spend 30 euro a day on food

Or working people who have been robbing Peter to pay Paul. I think you will find that many working people can not afford to eat out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement