Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrest at Pat Rabbitte lunch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What promises have been fulfilled??
    Off the top of my head; reduced interest rate on our bailout, no increase in headline income tax rates.

Of course, you will claim that they didn't negotiate anything on the rates and that taxes were increased by stealth, but when you start from a position where you can never be satisfied, then the promises have been broken before they've been made because you keep shifting the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

they claim to be a 'party of the workers', while they back right-wings cuts in the most unecessary places, hittin the most vulnerable.
    They should have pulled out of the IMF/EU/ECB bail out immediatly soon as they got into gov.
    If they had pulled out of the bailout there would be no money to pay social welfare or public sector pay and the most vulnerable (the former) would have been absolutely hammered completely.

Its simply delusional to think that there is an easy way out of the almighty mess we are in if we could only get a decent bunch of politicians. The scale of our problems will vary very little regardless of who we elect to govern it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SlaneyCider

seamus wrote: »
    Off the top of my head; reduced interest rate on our bailout, no increase in headline income tax rates.

Of course, you will claim that they didn't negotiate anything on the rates and that taxes were increased by stealth, but when you start from a position where you can never be satisfied, then the promises have been broken before they've been made because you keep shifting the goalposts.
    I dont think anyone is satisfied with the decisions they've made, alright they've reduced the interest rate + its gonna take longer to pay it back. We cant shít without the IMF's say-so. They promised to burn the bond-holders, what did they go and do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Biggins wrote: »
    At least the person with Rabbit it appears, spoke up and said they arrested the wrong person.

Rabbit just kept his head down and kept munching!
    More interested in his food than actually helping a man getting arrested for something he didn't do!

Every rabbit in the country should be arrested. Bastreds, devoured all the lettuce in my garden this year:( I was trying to see in the clip if any of my veggies were on the misisters plate, so I could make a complaint to the Gardai:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'm not particularly critical of the FG-Labour administration; I think that in most respects they are doing a good to very good job, although it's not quite clear how much of that is on their own initiative, and how much is to do with Mother Europe sitting beside them, guiding them through their lessons.

Having said that I don't think FG-Lab are completely without their governing faculties, and as such it is entirely appropriate that those in Government sometimes catch wind of public wrath. Pies in the face, red paint on the ministerial car, angry confrontational taxpayers disrupting The Ministerial Tea Party, these are all the necessary & inevitable features of an advanced democracy; and although somewhat blunt instruments, are not completely without their utility.

I'm sure Pat Rabbitte understands this as much as anyone, by the way. He always seems like a reasonable & practical man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SlaneyCider

lugha wrote: »
    If they had pulled out of the bailout there would be no money to pay social welfare or public sector pay and the most vulnerable (the former) would have been absolutely hammered completely.

Its simply delusional to think that there is an easy way out of the almighty mess we are in if we could only get a decent bunch of politicians. The scale of our problems will vary very little regardless of who we elect to govern it.
    Of course theres no easy way out, they've sold off millions in natural resources the Shell and the like, its senseless, them millions could sort a good percentage of our economy. Tax the high earners...it aint rocket science

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Every rabbit in the country should be arrested. Bastreds, devoured all the lettuce in my garden this year:( I was trying to see in the clip if any of my veggies were on the misisters plate, so I could make a complaint to the Gardai:cool:

:eek:

...But ...but they are cute! Those funny likkle bunny noses! :o

Does anyone remember that Kiwi newsreader on TV3?

She really did say "Pet Rabbitte":eek:

later12 wrote: »
    Pies in the face, red paint on the ministerial car, angry confrontational taxpayers disrupting The Ministerial Tea Party, these are all the necessary & inevitable features of an advanced democracy; and although somewhat blunt instruments, are not completely without their utility.
    I'm afraid their utility is lost on me. :confused:

There is a certain entertainment factor, particularly if the particular politician is the arrogant sort, and perhaps the vent-er may feel a bit better afterwards.

But beyond that, squat.

Of course theres no easy way out, they've sold off millions in natural resources the Shell and the like, its senseless, them millions could sort a good percentage of our economy. Tax the high earners...it aint rocket science

meanwhile... Back on planet earth...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I wonder if the Guards ever go after actual criminals, a lot of them seem like jumped up cowards.

I can understand that there are good ones but I've yet to see them.

Guaranteed if it was ordinary Joe Public they wouldn't have gotten there as fast.

lugha wrote: »
    I'm afraid their utility is lost on me. :confused:

There is a certain entertainment factor, particularly if the particular politician is the arrogant sort, and perhaps the vent-er may feel a bit better afterwards.

But beyond that, squat.
    The theory is that politicians live in somewhat sequestered habitats, surrounded by yesmen & civil servants, and having much of their time taken up with Ministerial business are unable to properly perceive the magnitude or extent of the unpopularity of their policies, or the anger of those most adversely affected.

Occasions like this, whilst not to be encouraged, are a reminder of the consequences of certain policies which a minister may not always be moved to reflect upon.

later12 wrote: »
    The theory is that politicians live in somewhat sequestered habitats, surrounded by yesmen & civil servants, and having much of their time taken up with Ministerial business are unable to properly perceive the magnitude or extent of the unpopularity of their policies, or the anger of those most adversely affected.

Occasions like this, whilst not to be encouraged, are a reminder of the consequences of certain policies which a minister may not always be moved to reflect upon.

There may be an element of truth in that. But IMO hubris and arrogance are acquired by politicians who are power for a very long time regardless.

Indeed, such a meandering criticism directed at the minister, as was evident in the video, may even be counter-productive in combating this hubris as it can easily be dismissed by them as some looper having a rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Isn't it funny how, in the run up to the GE in 2011, that these people were all over the country meeting and greeting.

Once their in 'power' they won't talk to or answer to anyone.

The aloofness shown by rabbit and his mates is astounding.

We thought fianna fail were disconnected from the people, this lot are far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Why do people keep saying they arrested the wrong person? They didn't arrest the person at the start of the video but the guy they did arrest appeared quite animated himself. People are just assuming that they thought they were arresting the guy who was shouting at Rabbit in start of the video. The heavy editing makes it impossible to know why that particular man was arrested. for all we know he could have called them **** as soon as they walked in.

MagicSean wrote: »
    for all we know he could have called them **** as soon as they walked in.
    By Jove!

Arrest that scallywag & have him in the stocks post haste!

Why do people keep saying they arrested the wrong person? They didn't arrest the person at the start of the video but the guy they did arrest appeared quite animated himself. People are just assuming that they thought they were arresting the guy who was shouting at Rabbit in start of the video. The heavy editing makes it impossible to know why that particular man was arrested. for all we know he could have called them **** as soon as they walked in.

As reported from The Times (England):
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1112364.ece
    ..."He came over and said: 'Hello, Pat. Can I give you this? You might get a chance to read it afterwards'."

"He was absolutely polite to the minister, no question," said Stewart, an accountant who resigned as a non-executive director of Nama last October.

"I phoned the gardai and told them he was not the man disturbing the peace or disturbing the minister."

After Rogers was taken away, a number of people approached Rabbitte's table. "They arrested the wrong man. You should be ashamed of yourself," one woman told him. "Pat Rabbitte stands idly by," a man said.
    The man who led the protest inside the hotel spent almost two minutes at Rabbitte's table. At one stage he shouted at the minister: "There are four suicides a day in this country. Do you understand that? We deserve an answer."

By the time two uniformed gardai responded to a call from hotel management, the man responsible for the disturbance had left.

* Peter Stewart, a former director of the National Asset Management Agency, was the very man sitting with Rabbit.
    He had no reason to lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:eek:

...But ...but they are cute! Those funny likkle bunny noses! :o

Glenn Close will sort Rabbitte out, I'm sure she hasn't lost her culinary skills after all these years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hairy Japanese bastards

• Advertisement

As reported from The Times (England):
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1112364.ece

* Peter Stewart, a former director of the National Asset Management Agency, was the very man sitting with Rabbit.
    He had no reason to lie.

I wasn't referring to his behaviour towards the minister.

I wasn't referring to his behaviour towards the minister.

If you mean that he was 'animated' afterwards - well to be honest, who wouldn't at being in this case arrested in the wrong?
    I'd bloody protest too! I think most would.

If you mean that he was 'animated' afterwards - well to be honest, who wouldn't at being in this case arrested in the wrong?
    I'd bloody protest too!

No I mean you have no clue at all what happened between him and the Gardaí before he was arrested. The reason you have no clue is because the footage you posted so readily was both heavily edited and dubbed for maximum effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Varied wrote: »
    I wonder if the Guards ever go after actual criminals

Why don't you pay a trip to your local district court any day of the week. You literally won't get in the door for the place being full of 'criminals'
    Guaranteed if it was ordinary Joe Public they wouldn't have gotten there as fast.

If a trespasser refuses to leave any house or business premises having being asked to do so by the proprietor then they can be removed by Gardaí. If they commit a breach of the peace while being removed they will be arrested. Then a file will go to the DPP on whether they get charged with breach of the peace. That's the law, petition your local politician to change it if you don't like it (not while he's eating)

For whatever faults Rabitte has I'm sure he is happy to debate politics with someone. He's probably spent every day of his adult life debating politics with people. He would probably like to eat his dinner in peace though without some crazy fyck ranting and raving at him.

I don't agree with this moral high horse cr@p to excuse what is basically bad manners. It's like that ape who filmed himself dancing on Haugheys grave. These are the sort of pigs who would spit in someones food that they didn't like. You can stand up for your view of life or society without being an animal and have respect for other people.

No I mean you have no clue at all what happened between him and the Gardaí before he was arrested. The reason you have no clue is because the footage you posted so readily was both heavily edited and dubbed for maximum effect.

Maybe so - but then your also assuming that the man didn't have just cause to be 'animated' too!

Its ok to assume he was wrong - but not ok to assume he was right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

J K wrote: »
    You can stand up for your view of life or society without being an animal and have respect for other people.

Like the guy who was arrested did?

• Advertisement

Maybe so - but then your also assuming that the man didn't have just cause to be 'animated' too!

When did i assume anything? I merely pointed out how edited the video is and how there is no way of knowing what interaction he had with the Gardaí or why he was arrested.

When did i assume anything? I merely pointed out how edited the video is and how there is no way of knowing what interaction he had with the Gardaí or why he was arrested.

Going back to your original question:
    Why do people keep saying they arrested the wrong person?

Because it appears the Gardi was called due to a disturbance.

As the man himself that was sitting with Rabbit said:
    "I phoned the gardai and told them he was not the man disturbing the peace or disturbing the minister."

Thats why people keep saying they arrested the wrong person.
    The people also are taking the word of a very person that was there.
    Does that help with your question?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

HIB wrote: »
    Like the guy who was arrested did?

No not like him. That's bad manners and no respect.

The guy might have valid arguments. He diminishes them by behaving himself like an animal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

that's okay. I'm sure others do.

Stick to playing hopscotch in the playground with the girls.

Backing up your own comments in a discussion is clearly beyond you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It's ok to assume nothing. All that person's footage tells us, is that an incident took place, we have some of the dialogue at the beginning, albeit out of sequence in parts, between the ex-NAMA guy, Rabbitte (briefly) and the older man. By the time it gets to the arrival of the Gardaí and the arrest of the younger guy, it's pretty much unintelligible, because the audio seems to have no bearing on the video images.

The video, thanks to whoever mangled it, has suffered from some very poor editing. It is a newsworthy event, and it's a pity we don't have the original raw capture to work with. There were a few other cameras and phones floating about, and again it's a pity those weren't posted too, by or on behalf of whoever filmed them.

• Advertisement

It's ok to assume nothing. All that person's footage tells us, is that an incident took place, we have some of the dialogue at the beginning, albeit out of sequence in parts, between the ex-NAMA guy, Rabbitte (briefly) and the older man. By the time it gets to the arrival of the Gardaí and the arrest of the younger guy, it's pretty much unintelligible, because the audio seems to have no bearing on the video images.

The video, thanks to whoever mangled it, has suffered from some very poor editing. It is a newsworthy event, and it's a pity we don't have the original raw capture to work with. There were a few other cameras and phones floating about, and again it's a pity those weren't posted too, by or on behalf of whoever filmed them.

Only going on what I have read (The Indo' too), the second chap when the Gardi arrived, was supposedly asked to leave the premises. The Indo' says he refused - so maybe that too is why they arrested him?

I seem to remember reading somewhere (on Pie maybe), that the guy who got banged up had originally approached PR with a pamphlet, asked him to give it his attention, and withdrew from his table. But, that is supposition, as much as my attempted analysis of the video would be.

Apparently, the crowd of clappers in the bar, as well as the two guys in question, were part of a protest regarding the Sherlock eviction. Now there's a crank if ever there was one-his facebook page is worth a look, I'll dig out the link in a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I must be the only one who giggles every time I see the name ''pat rabbite''
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

I'm suprised you named rabbitt
    in the video biggins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Did you record this yourself Biggins?

If so why not post the entire unedited version?

tigger123 wrote: »
    Did you film it yourself?
    No - a person that was there on the day did.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Did you record this yourself Biggins?

If so why not post the entire unedited version?

Sorry MCMLXXV, I'd no input in any way as to how it was filmed/edited. :)

Sorry MCMLXXV, I'd no input in any way as to how it was filmed/edited. :)

Ah, I see.

Who's Biggins Ireland then?

Ah, I see.

Who's Biggins Ireland then?

Its me. :)
    (Had to input two items name-wise in order to create a Youtube page)

See the comments!

Its me. :)
    (Had to input two items name-wise in order to create a Youtube page)

So you didn't record it but you posted the video as your own?

• Advertisement

So you didn't record it but you posted the video as your own?

Included in the description (expand please - click "Show more") further details.

Going back to your original question:

Because it appears the Gardi was called due to a disturbance.

As the man himself that was sitting with Rabbit said:

Thats why people keep saying they arrested the wrong person.
    The people also are taking the word of a very person that was there.
    Does that help with your question?

Did you watch the video? He didn't know what was happening. it had to be pointed out to him by the people around him that the Gardaí were arresting someone. His knowledge appears limited to what happened at the table.
    Only going on what I have read (The Indo' too), the second chap when the Gardi arrived, was supposedly asked to leave the premises. The Indo' says he refused - so maybe that too is why they arrested him?

It seems logical doesn't it? So the assumption they arrested the wrong man would be incorrect.

Did you watch the video? He didn't know what was happening. it had to be pointed out to him by the people around him that the Gardaí were arresting someone. His knowledge appears limited to what happened at the table.

It seems logical doesn't it? So the assumption they arrested the wrong man would be incorrect.

Sadly we can only judge on what limited words we have of those there and the available video.

For my part, I tend to put faith in the words of Peter Stewart when he stated that the second man arrested was causing no trouble.
    I'm also assuming that the Gardi were called because more so, of the actions/temperament of the first man and someone feared for the worst.

Working on the assumption that also all there that also expressed that the wrong man was arrested - I'm taking it that they meant that if anyone was going to be arrested for actually causing a possible breach of the peace, it would/should have been the first chap.
    ...And that alone is why many (I'm assuming) is saying the second chap is innocent or more innocent.

All the above is open to be wrong.

Included in the description (expand please - click "Show more") further details.

As of last night Biggins, you hadn't. You attributed the Sunday Times description at the time it was mentioned on here.

The resulting, and understandable questions such as that being asked by MCMLXXV is one of the reasons I raised it. I seem to remember having to make a similiar request of you before when you linked a blog post on TheJournal and passed it off as your own.

It's poor netiquette at the least, and dishonest at worst.

For my part, I tend to put faith in the words of Peter Stewart when he stated that the second man arrested was causing no trouble.

That would be my take based on the initial part of the video as well.

As of last night Biggins, you hadn't. You attributed the Sunday Times description at the time it was mentioned on here.

The resulting, and understandable questions such as that being asked by MCMLXXV is one of the reasons I raised it. I seem to remember having to make a similiar request of you before when you linked a blog post on TheJournal and passed it off as your own.

It's poor netiquette at the least, and dishonest at worst.
    It was a stupid earlier error, quickly corrected when rightly pointed out.
    I hang my head in shame for the first part and won't debate my stupidity. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

He posted a video on youtube ffs. Its a popular phenomenon these days. Who gives a fcuk who filmed it or where he got the description ?

You all working for Sherlock or something ? Or just have too much spare time on your hands ?

It was a stupid earlier error, quickly corrected when rightly pointed out.
    I hang my head in shame for the first part and won't debate my stupidity. :o

Minor detail, in all fairness-but as something that could have gone viral, it's worth covering all the bases.

Minor detail, in all fairness-but as something that could have gone viral, it's worth covering all the bases.

Indeed. No argument. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Pat was probably eating a free dinner anyway. Those lads don't pay.
    That's a blatant lie.

Advertisement