Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths Crisis...well kind of...

• 26-08-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

So last year I decided to do Applied Maths (when I was in 5th year) and I took the LC classes in the Institute every Saturday morning up until Februrary. But then, I ended up not being able to go on Saturday mornings so I gave up the classes and incidentally, quit applied maths altogether even though I really did feel like I shouldn't have quit it!

So my problem is this...I am starting 6th year this week and I don't know what to do! Should I pick up applied maths again even though I did virtually no work on it in 5th year since I gave it up? Is it possible to do it on your own and still get a good grade, such as an A1/2? Or would I need the classes? I really don't know what I should do. Is there anyone reading this who could give me some advice? I do 7 other HL subjects including Maths and Physics and I love Maths and Physics but I found last year that I didn't put in the work I should have though I am prepared to do that this year if I do take it up again. Is it too late now with just one year to prepare for the exam?

Sorry for this disastrous post, it makes hardly any sense but your insight would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

I did the subject by myself and got an A1 in it. If you do questions every day, anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭bren2001

I pretty much took it up in 6th year and went to the Institute grinds on a Saturday morning, got an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

That's great! Thank you to both of you for replying, do you mind me asking whether you did the rest of your subjects all higher level? If so, did you find it hard keeping on all HL as well as AM? And do you think it is a very difficult subject or would I be able to do well in it with a good 5 hours a week? :) Thanks again for answering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭bren2001

That's great! Thank you to both of you for replying, do you mind me asking whether you did the rest of your subjects all higher level? If so, did you find it hard keeping on all HL as well as AM? And do you think it is a very difficult subject or would I be able to do well in it with a good 5 hours a week? :) Thanks again for answering!

Eh, I did ordinary Irish to free up time. So I ended up doing 7 HL and 1 Pass. Yeah, 5 hours a week should be ok, each student is different, might not be a bad idea to get a grind in it once a week privately (about the same price as the Institute) so you can get some guidance.

The papers go back to 1985 (I think) so you pretty much just do every question in them and you're sorted.

Advertisement