Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to compose and stay on top of team tactics?

Options
  • 26-08-2012 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

I know there's a lot of information in Q&A etc. regarding tactics and tactic formulation, but I thought now with everyone older and wiser, perhaps we could do a bit of a refreshers course on how to pick your teams tactics based on the attributes of your own team and also how much, if at all, this should be tempered based on your opposition and how to analyse your opposition as well as your own squad also.

So perhaps if people would like to share some ideas, I would greatly appreciate some, as I feel my tactics need some fine tuning.

I suppose what I'm looking to know is how to set tactics if your team has a light pack, or if you have a heavy pack, and light backs, heavy backs, how much speed is in your team, handling, how much to set kicking, and how to play the game based on discipline etc.

Just any kind of tricks or tips would be great, thanks. :)

Just to add, I'm trying to devise a very physical team (both in forwards and backs) with an emphasis on strength, height and weight, and am working on upping technique of the team, but my backs and half backs wouldn't be full with flair. Basically looking to get the most out of my backs, but to try and bully teams and play possession rugby also.

Also, what level of defence do you need to play a man marking system / how do you decide on defensive system? What attributes are need for man marking? Speed? or is a strong defensive rating alone good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Good topic alright.

What I'm quite interested in is the in-depth research into opposition tactics. A few times I've gone over match reports, trying to judge defense systems, and I've come up with nothing.
    Fair enough attack tactics can be 25% each and tell you very little, but a defense system should be pretty obvious, so I'm obviously doing things wrong.

Usually I look to exploit things like this...

PnG when they've poor discipline, either they're going to give away penalties or they're not going to be competitive at the break-down.

Driving to take advantage if they've a very light pack.

Creative to target centres, expansive to go for the wings.

Rush will cause more scrums, drift will cause more line-outs, so you can use that in your attacking game too.

I generally do things by gut feelings, so I'm sure others can give you better break-downs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Just to add, I'm trying to devise a very physical team (both in forwards and backs) with an emphasis on strength, height and weight, and am working on upping technique of the team, but my backs and half backs wouldn't be full with flair. Basically looking to get the most out of my backs, but to try and bully teams and play possession rugby also.

Thats the one thing i'm big on. Can't underestimate how important your 10 is in attack and defence. I always think of him as my third and best centre who just happens to be able to kick the ball.

The less obvious ones. Erm speedy wingers (maybe centres too i suppose) and an experienced full back will limit the damage when line breaks occur.

Form, energy and home advantage play a bigger role in the game than most people think.

Its good to have forwards who can play a bit and aren't just there to rumble it up the middle.

Tactics? Fewi nailed most them but the one thing i'll add is always play to the strengths of your team. Sometimes by trying to expose the other team you end up playing a game not really suited to the players you have. Been guilty of that more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

i usually play to the strengths of my team ( you or anyone for that matter can scout my team and mail me what they think if anyone wants practice on scouting opposition?). very rarely do i change to suit the opposition.

i also only ever play the one defense type and i feel the other two leave too many gaps, and most teams plays around 25-30 for most attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

ajeffares wrote: »

Your defensive bit was good, more detailed than most. :)

Not sure about the half-backs bit... don't see any reason for expecting light half-backs, apart from a slight speed hit.

Nice bit from Wex on the scrums too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

This is a system that I use, I win more than lose so it works for me. I also throw out curve balls and break my own rules on gut feel and play mad tactics that follow no rules but thats fairly rare.

5 min tactic's and scouting:

Playing a BOT or a very weak team - Who cares, put out a weak team and trainees and play tactics according to the the trainees areas. I.E. if you are training a lock the 90% kicking :D

15 minute tactic's and scouting:

Ok this is the bones of my normal prep, we are talking teams who are are within ~10k to 20k csr of my average top 15 CSR.

In BR I check out the team based on CSR ranking to get a feel for the team.
    Are the top CSR players balanced between forwards and backs, backs or forwards?

I then check BRM for the average CSR comparison and compare each position. I look at the scrum scores, line out, ruck and maul and compare mine with his. I also get their intensity and discipline from the ruck and maul and back it up with their turnovers.

Forwards loaded/dominant - Check out the locks, check out the hooker, check out props, check out back row. If they are all worse than mine I will play a forward based game with lots of kicking and rush defense. If the locks are good but the front row or the back row worse then I reduce the kicking and increase my back play a little. If his forwards beat mine hands down then I play a backs game with lots of expansive, a good bit or creative and driving plays.

Backs loaded/dominant - If the opponents backs are better than mine and I have better forwards then its my classic forwards game. If we match or I have better then I play a expansive game. The centers are key for me, if they have awesome centers then its forward play regardless. Creative is not as good as it used to be IMO but I always have fair amount in there.

30 minute scouting - Review a couple of matches, mostly where they lost and figure out their defense, intensity and main attack and play accordingly.

Advertisement