Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning up after dogs

• 26-08-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Do you think the laws about cleaning up after your dog are good or bad?
    Would it be better to be left up to the person without any possible fine or what not?
    I clean up after my dog because standing in doggy doo is not fun and the local park is used by kids.
    I'd prefer to know they weren't rolling in his dodoo.

However slapping a fine on not doing so only results in one thing ie those who would have the common sense to clean up after their dogs will do so anyway regardless of possible repercussions.And those that would not do so will carry a plastic bag and if there is anyone in sight while their dog goes dodoo they will scoop it up but as soon as they are out of sight they will dump it.

So instead of a dodoo that would wash away or degrade in a couple of days you now have a plastic bag full of dodoo that will be there for weeks or months.

I take my dog around Marlay Park alot and if I'm looking I can easily spot several plastic bags full of dodoo that have been dumped.The same goes for the local paths and parks--plastic bags full of doggy dodoo that will not be cleaned up and will not wash away or degrade.

I would prefer that they just let their dogs do their business and leave it to be washed away that to see it sitting in a plastic bag for months to come.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Could you punctuate your post? Very difficult to read and therefore understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I agree - it seems pointless to go to the bother of bagging up the poo and then dumping the bag further up the road!! If you are not prepared to bag and then bin really why bother ???

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

Could you punctuate your post? Very difficult to read and therefore understand...

Difficulty reading and difficulty understanding have no correlation when punctuation is the issue, thanks for trying though, always appreciated.

If the post is not punctuated, then it makes it difficult to read as I say. How do you expect me to understand what you've posted??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

i dont get people who dont pick up their dog poop.....if they put their foot in someone elses dog poop i wonder what they think

• Advertisement

If the post is not punctuated, then it makes it difficult to read as I say. How do you expect me to understand what you've posted??:confused:

And again, reading and understanding have no correlation when punctuation is at issue, perhaps you should consult a dictionary to discern the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We would always pick up the poop unless it was in the middle of a heavily forested area where only 'dog people' would go for some off leash time, very little chance of kids or walking in it. I always pick up the poo if it's anywhehre the public have even the remotist posibility of waling into it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No. There is enough dog crap around already.

Not your ornery onager

yammycat wrote: »
    And again, reading and understanding have no correlation when punctuation is at issue, perhaps you should consult a dictionary to discern the difference.

Ah. This post has punctuation!! Hurrah...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

The guy is asking for advice not an English Lesson, so why try to put him down on a public site? Are you trying to make a point that your are superior?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Really annoys me at times when you go to the trouble of bringing pooh bags ang bag the business and then walk in search of a bin...and walk..and walk... where are all the feckin bins??? I dont mind picking up the sh1t but I dont want to carry it around for a half an hour! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Is that the longest sentence ever? Or just poor punctuation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

When I walk the beach there are only bins down one end and I park at the other. Usually they do their business at the start of the walk so I end up carrying bags for a few kms before getting to a bin.

Then sometimes they haven't been emptied and there's rubbish overflowing so I end up carrying them all the way back and put them in my own bin. I wouldn't leave them anywhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Op post edited to make it more readable.

Less of the English lessons please.

Now back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

I really hate dog**** all over the pavement. I think it's disgusting, but it really annoys me to consider elderly, disabled and the visually impaired are more likely to step in it.

I think if people don't clean up after their dogs their dog should be confiscated and they should be banned from keeping animals.

As for those bags.. the fines should be multiplied by ten and the person should be named and shamed in their local paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

This is no joke but some people don't know you should pick up after your dog.
    Someone near me did not do it and I guess it was the council that put up a post in the footpath right out side their gate about the fines you get for not picking up after your dog.

There is much less around here now.

At least they have the sense to walk their dog every day all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Also some people think it is ok to put biodegradable poop bags in the water drains at the side of the road.
    The don't break down fast at all.
    I take some toilet roll as well as the bags and if I am near a drain I will use that and put it in the drain as it brakes up faster than leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Really annoys me at times when you go to the trouble of bringing pooh bags ang bag the business and then walk in search of a bin...and walk..and walk... where are all the feckin bins??? I dont mind picking up the sh1t but I dont want to carry it around for a half an hour! ;)

Its a pain when there are no bins, i just bring a plastic bag to put the poop bag into and then carry it, as far as is needed, home if necessary.
    I have a haversack for the dog walks to put stuff into, I stick it in the side mesh but I'd wash it hot before putting sandwhiches in that bag!

I have walked from one end of certain places to another and have often discovered there are no bins in some places, I think sometimes that they have been removed, either because they were abused for disposal of stuff that shouldnt be in them or they are damaged.
    Only when i went looking for them i realised, ts a bit of a task to clear bins all over the place, when people can easily bring their rubbsh home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

One of my pet hates , excuse the pun.
    You can get 200 of those dog-crap bags for e1.50, it really bugs me to see someone let their dog **** all over the place and not pick it up.

I have seen haversacks that you can get for your dogs back. Make the fecker carry his own crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

tony81 wrote: »
    I really hate dog**** all over the pavement. I think it's disgusting, but it really annoys me to consider elderly, disabled and the visually impaired are more likely to step in it.

I think if people don't clean up after their dogs their dog should be confiscated and they should be banned from keeping animals.

As for those bags.. the fines should be multiplied by ten and the person should be named and shamed in their local paper.

lol :D

Ah no but I agree with you. I always clean up after mine, its just that the irony of your post hasn't escaped my attention - the fact that if this were the case, people would have harsher punishments for doggy droppings than we have seen handed out for cases of severe animal torture and abuse.

• Advertisement

When it comes to cleaning up after dogs there are two types of dog owners, those who do and those who don't, when you add a fine or no fine you create four scenarios .

1. Dog owner who cleans up after their dog and no fine, they clean up
    2. Dog owner who cleans up after their dog and huge fine, they clean up

3. Dog owner who doesn't clean up after their dog and no fine, they don't clean up
    4. Dog owner who doesn't clean up after their dog and huge fine, if no one is around they don't clean up, if someone is around they bag it and dump plastic bag down the road

fining people for not cleaning up only leads to plastic bags full of dog waste littering the parks

Advertisement