Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockers

• 26-08-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Does anyone know when we've to queue to get a locker? Missed it last year, and I commute in so to have one would be fairly handy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    Does anyone know when we've to queue to get a locker? Missed it last year, and I commute in so to have one would be fairly handy.

First day of term (Monday after fresher's), security desk at the Arts Block. €20 deposit + €20 year's rent. Queue starts ridiculously early, people are there at 7am (slightly unnecessary). Big lockers in the arts block go first, there's usually Panoz/East End lockers available for a few days after. They seem to have put in more lockers in the Hamilton this year, so it might not be as crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

What about in the new BSI building?, I've not gotten a locker before and I think I'll opt to get one this year, wouldn't be much use to me up the arts block though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

NeuroCat wrote: »
    What about in the new BSI building?, I've not gotten a locker before and I think I'll opt to get one this year, wouldn't be much use to me up the arts block though.

BSI = Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, on Pearse Street (I had to google what that was, so posting here so no-one else has to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

BSI = Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, on Pearse Street (I had to google what that was, so posting here so no-one else has to)

Yeah, well, I knew where it was (would be shocking if I didn't considering all my lectures/labs are there :P ) but I was wondering where we go to see about getting a locker there.

NeuroCat wrote: »
    Yeah, well, I knew where it was (would be shocking if I didn't considering all my lectures/labs are there :P ) but I was wondering where we go to see about getting a locker there.

Haha yeah I figured :p , but it could be useful for Hamilton people too since it's just around the corner...as far as I know you get lockers for the TBSI at the Arts Block security desk same as everyone else, that's definitely the case for Hamilton/Lloyd/Panoz lockers anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Hamilton/East End ones are the best for access. The big arts ones are nice if you plan on keeping a lot of stuff in it, but as has been said, you need to be in at the crack of dawn to get one of those.

East end ones are 24/7 which is very handy if you're in on a Sunday, or working late etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mavis94

Hi, just how small are the small lockers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Are the lockers handy to have? I have a short commute in the morning and I'm not sure if its worth getting one. I'd be mainly near the arts block and stuff. Are all the lockers there gone at 7am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

mavis94 wrote: »
    Hi, just how small are the small lockers?
    Pretty much this size:
    800px-School_lockers.JPG
    chucoter wrote:
    Are the lockers handy to have?
    Having one in the hamilton meant storage in Dublin city centre available 24/7 (ish), which was pretty handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

So do I still have to be in really early to get one of those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Chuchoter wrote: »
    So do I still have to be in really early to get one of those?

I'm not sure about the Hamilton, but when I got mine in the arts block a few years ago there were still some available later in the morning (I think I got mine around 10am?) if you didn't mind that it would be on a higher floor; mine was on the 5th floor. They distribute them pretty much floor by floor, so if you want one on the lower levels you have to be there early. Mine being on the higher floor didn't bother me unduly but then I usually just dumped my coat/gym stuff in it for the day, rather than making several trips up and down.

Oh and they're all the same size on every floor (except the really big ones on the concourse level, which you do have to be in super-early for), so on that score it makes no difference.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Count Wankula

So if I rock up to the locker giving out thing circa 11 am I'll get a locker for sure, I just might get stiffed on the location? There's no way I'll be coming back with just my dick in my hands, rather than a key to my new locker-cum-drinks cabinet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

In first year, I went in at 6.45am or something ridiculous to get a locker in the Hamilton. There were about 20 people ahead of me. WELL worth it though in my opinion as I've kept my locker every year since and its so handy for books, gym gear, drink stashing, etc.

If you're not as early, you will probably get a locker in the Panoz (still 24hr) Or The Lloyd building. That's if you're in the Science end of college. But as they've added more lockers to the Hammo it might not be as bad.

Yeah, if you rock up at 11am you'll still get a locker. For sure, just might not be located in the most convienent of places.

Larianne wrote: »
    In first year, I went in at 6.45am or something ridiculous to get a locker in the Hamilton. There were about 20 people ahead of me. WELL worth it though in my opinion as I've kept my locker every year since and its so handy for books, gym gear, drink stashing, etc.

If you're not as early, you will probably get a locker in the Panoz (still 24hr) Or The Lloyd building. That's if you're in the Science end of college. But as they've added more lockers to the Hammo it might not be as bad.

Yeah, if you rock up at 11am you'll still get a locker. For sure, just might not be located in the most convienent of places.

I didn't even know there was a 6:45 in the am. So what time do they actually start giving out lockers? If I'm on the razz and I go there instead of going home will they give me a locker at 4:30 am or some shit?

blubloblu wrote: »
    Pretty much this size:
    800px-School_lockers.JPG
    Having one in the hamilton meant storage in Dublin city centre available 24/7 (ish), which was pretty handy.

Bollocks, I'd hate a ground floor level locker clocking in at 6 foot 5. They don't look that wide but they might be pretty deep by the looks of things, could get decent amount of drink in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I didn't even know there was a 6:45 in the am. So what time do they actually start giving out lockers? If I'm on the razz and I go there instead of going home will they give me a locker at 4:30 am or some shit?

Between 8-8.30am it starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

So if I rock up to the locker giving out thing circa 11 am I'll get a locker for sure
    Pretty much, I know people who got lockers a week or two into term. The seven am thing is for people who want a specific location that's in demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

A fresher here, so I don't know the layout of the college yet. However as an Engineering student staying in Trinity Hall, where should I try and get a locker for? (I don't mind getting up early if I've a good reason.) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mavis94

So how big are the big lockers then? Are they really worth the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

Is it just those small ones in Hamilton or do they have bigger ones there?

• Advertisement

ganon wrote: »
    Is it just those small ones in Hamilton or do they have bigger ones there?
    There's only big ones in the arts block.

As for lockers being worth the hassle, that really depends on yourself and what course you might be doing. Like if you intend to go to that gym regularly, if you cycle in with a helmet, have labs where they wont let you bring your bag in or you have to leave your bag unsupervised -then a locker is very useful. But if you don't think you'll be doing those things, or don't mind carrying stuff round with you then you might as well save your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

amymak wrote: »
    A fresher here, so I don't know the layout of the college yet. However as an Engineering student staying in Trinity Hall, where should I try and get a locker for? (I don't mind getting up early if I've a good reason.) :)

Hamilton would probably be handiest for you so, engineers would have a lot of lectures there.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Do we queue for ALL lockers at the Arts Block security desk, even Hamilton ones?

Do we queue for ALL lockers at the Arts Block security desk, even Hamilton ones?
    Yes, all the forms and keys are kept there

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

Are the lockers in the Hamilton and Lloyd Inst the same size? Don't know where I should get one..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 emma__

Do all of the arts block lockers go quickly? I don't mind getting one on a high floor but I'd rather get one there as the majority of my lectures will be there.
    What time (approximately) should you go in to get an arts block locker?

chibihito wrote: »
    Are the lockers in the Hamilton and Lloyd Inst the same size? Don't know where I should get one..

Get a Hamilton one if you can. The Lloyd and the Hamilton are mere metres apart, and even if you're a Computer Science student with all your lectures in the Lloyd, it's still better to get a Hamilton locker since

1. Lloyd Inst. isn't open 24 hours like the Hamilton is,
    2. Lloyd lockers are (as I remember) ever so slightly smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

So it's €40 altogether for a locker?

leaveiton wrote: »
    So it's €40 altogether for a locker?

In a sense yes, you will need €40 on the day to get a locker, however €20 of that is a deposit you can get back at the end of the year upon returning the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Would Hamilton lockers fit a big enough gym bag and an 11" laptop? There's no point in getting one in a handy place if it doesn't fit anything

Also do we need our own locks?

Advertisement