Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can You Cook...

• 26-08-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

... and if you can, what?

Have to say, i'm a pretty good cook in my own opinion, often spend a few hours on a saturday or sunday trying different things out etc. It amazes me though that so many friends and family can hardly open a tin of beans. They can't cook, won't cook or have any interest in cooking. So AH, what are you cooking limitations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I don't give myself enough credit. I'm a great cook. Love changing up recipes.

Everything I cook gets an onion in it lol fooking love onions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm shit at it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

Until recently, I couldn't cook anything except for oven pizzas.

However, I took it upon myself to learn how to cook sausages and rashers, and have since been very regularly enjoying sausage/rasher sambos. The dog and cat love me more than ever for it.

I'm not really inclined to learn much else to be honest. My girlfriend is an absolutely excellent cook and great at baking too, and she's more than happy to do it so I just sit back and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Great cook, though I say it myself:D
    Really enjoy cooking, all styles, all cuisines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Not bad, i can cook a few Indian dishes, but no where as good as my better half can.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

PieForPi wrote: »
    I took it upon myself to learn how to cook sausages and rashers

Get out of here! you discovered how to turn on a grill and put sausages and rashers under them? all by yourself??

seriously....get out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm a pretty good cook, I'm just not able to carve a turkey or a chicken. That looks more like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But nobody is perfect :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Anytime I cook for other people the results are inedible. Make it on my own with no pressure and no expectations and it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I can cook, but i dont really have the patience for it. My husband on the other hand, never cooked a dish before we were married and took it up shortly after we were living together (I don't think he was a biggest fan of my food since I didn't make it like his mam!) Hes a much better cook than me and much more patient! So I'm more than happy to sit back and let him take the reins! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No I can't. I make my own very basic food but I would not expect anybody else to eat anything I've prepared. Anybody relying on me for food would be sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes

Made a gorgeous paella today made with fresh chicken and lobster stock and with chicken, prawns and chorizo.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

galwayrush wrote: »
    Not bad, i can cook a few Indian dishes, but no where as good as my better half can.:cool:

Keep up the praise and they'll keep delivering the grub. I like your style you silver tongued devil. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Yeah I can cook.

Mainly curries and meth.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

I'm a pretty decent cook, i can get my batch to 96% purity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I use the smoke alarm as a timer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Absolutely! I love food! I'll cook and eat pretty much anything. Love baking too.

I actually ate a kangaroo kebab today, it was bloody gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Yes:
    Today I made a slow cooked American Style Chilli which is amazing!!

Made Roast Leg of Lamb on Friday, make a really good authentic italian carbonara, and can make Spanish Omlette.

I make all my own bread, love making pecan pie, got a gorgeous recipe for pulled pork from the Cooking Club on here.

My hours got reduced in work, so I have less money and am bored, therefore I cook ALL the things.:o

if any of ye ever end up in my house, you'd get fed, and probably sent home with leftovers. I think for me when you invite someone to your home as your guest you should make sure they are comfortable and fed, etc.

My friends bf is doing his masters thesis, when she comes over I always send home homemade malaysian curry and fifteen with her for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope not really. Food for me has always been more like fuel for the body, so had near zero interest in any food preparation that involved much thought and time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm proud of my curries.

Many years ago, I made one for the other lads in the house.

They got a suntan looking in the bowl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

jebuz wrote: »
    Get out of here! you discovered how to turn on a grill and put sausages and rashers under them? all by yourself??

seriously....get out
    Hey, don't be jealous that I have a wonderful girlfriend who's happy to cook me anything from a wide range of lovely meals while you sit at home making portions for one, chatting to "single ladies" on premium web chat services and crying yourself to sleep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I burn toast.... So no

Yes:
    Today I made a slow cooked American Style Chilli which is amazing!!

Made Roast Leg of Lamb on Friday, make a really good authentic italian carbonara, and can make Spanish Omlette.

I make all my own bread, love making pecan pie, got a gorgeous recipe for pulled pork from the Cooking Club on here.

My hours got reduced in work, so I have less money and am bored, therefore I cook ALL the things.:o

Goes well with slapped salami and jerk chicken. I'm here all week.

They got a suntan looking in the bowl.

LOL!!

kowloon wrote: »
    Goes well with slapped salami and jerk chicken. I'm here all week.

I serve it on homemade basil ciabatta bread with coleslaw, but I can adapt it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

kowloon wrote: »
    Keep up the praise and they'll keep delivering the grub. I like your style you silver tongued devil. ;)

:D
    Can i mention again that my wife is a domestic goddess...:D

I'm hoping for some rashers on toast atm..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm pretty proficient in some dishes - I can knock out a decent Indian without much trouble, and I make a pretty good Texas chilli - but other things are a mystery. I'm not certain I could boil a potato if put on the spot right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope not really. Food for me has always been more like fuel for the body, so had near zero interest in any food preparation that involved much thought and time.
    See, that's my problem. People say its fuel for the body... but if we have yo do something, why not try to enjoy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yes. I make a mean fish pie, can cook pizza, curries, and do a very good spaghetti bolognese (don't fry the minced steak drop it into the sauce raw).

• Advertisement

Yes. I make a mean fish pie, can cook pizza, curries, and do a very good spaghetti bolognese (don't fry the minced steak drop it into the sauce raw).

drooool.. I have to try to make one of those soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Yes I can cook! Training chef here! :) love making anything pastry related!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah I can cook well. My mom is great and she is always trying new things, new ingredients, new reciepes and making things up from scratch the whole time. So I'm not afraid of the kitchen eventhough I never did home economics or have much experience.
    It's easy once you have a good foundation I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Proper carbonara, pasta and meatballs, stir-fries, really good steak with balsamic and red wine, duck with orange sauce. Anyone can cook if they can read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I can cook or bake anything as long as I have the proper implements, ingredients & recipe. I've even come up with a few of my own recipes, including some of the nicest bread I've ever had.

I only really enjoy cooking for other people though, and if I am I want to do it properly (making everything from scratch, even pasta).

I usually just live on sandwiches, fruit and maybe a stir fry when I'm eating by myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I can cook fairly well depending on what mood I'm in. My speciality is chocolate cheesecake Kahlua brownies and macaroni cheese pasta.
    I also make a mean Welsh Rarebitt (posh toasted cheese sandwedge).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Degag wrote: »
    See, that's my problem. People say its fuel for the body... but if we have yo do something, why not try to enjoy it?
    What if you only enjoy the results of topping up the tank? For me, so long as it satisfies the need I'm generally meh about the process.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

McChubbin wrote: »
    I can cook fairly well depending on what mood I'm in. My speciality is chocolate cheesecake Kahlua brownies.

You had me at chocolate.. :eek:

What if you only enjoy the results of topping up the tank? For me, so long as it satisfies the need I'm generally meh about the process.

I'm the same.

You smoke? I do. I think anybody who does doesn't appreciate food the way others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

Yeah I'm not bad at cooking and have the regular dinners I make. I love baking and making cakes, my carrot cake and triple chocolate muffins are delicious - they always hit the spot.

I've found lately I'm a bit what would say, bipolar ? when it comes to cooking, one day I'm all go and could whip up a four course dinner with dessert trolley ;) then other days it's like meh frozen pizza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The "breakthrough" for me was learning to ignore most things in recipes. If you follow all the steps you might get the exact results, but you don't really need that. If you learn some "modular" cooking, you can try all kinds of combinations of things.

For example, learn to cook rice properly (absorption method, or get a rice cooker), and you have a building block that will serve you well. Try different kinds of rice and do stuff to it e.g soak brown rice first so it cooks quicker. Get some Sushi rice and rice vinegar from the Asia Market and play with that.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

I'm the same.

You smoke? I do. I think anybody who does doesn't appreciate food the way others do.
    Used to SC, but even as a kid I was the same. I'm a fcuking oddball and I hate to break it to you, you may well be one too. :D

Used to SC, but even as a kid I was the same. I'm a fcuking oddball and I hate to break it to you, you may well be one too. :D

All day long & with age have grown proud of it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

bnt wrote: »
    The "breakthrough" for me was learning to ignore most things in recipes. If you follow all the steps you might get the exact results, but you don't really need that. If you learn some "modular" cooking, you can try all kinds of combinations of things.

For example, learn to cook rice properly (absorption method, or get a rice cooker), and you have a building block that will serve you well. Try different kinds of rice and do stuff to it e.g soak brown rice first so it cooks quicker. Get some Sushi rice and rice vinegar from the Asia Market and play with that.

Cooking is science. If you follow a bad recipe the meal will turn out poorly, and vice versa. The trick is finding the good ones and keeping a record of them. Then you can modify them, or make your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

I can cook and I like to think I'm not bad at it. I mostly cook Thai curries, make tortillas, spag bol and chili con carne. Of course I can cook the likes of rashers, sausages etc. Just recently started to bake. Nothing too fancy yet! Just cup cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Official boards.ie answer: I am a great cook.
    Reality: I read the box and stick it in the over for the suggested time.

Am I wrong here? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mollybeme123

Degag wrote: »
    ... and if you can, what?

Have to say, i'm a pretty good cook in my own opinion, often spend a few hours on a saturday or sunday trying different things out etc. It amazes me though that so many friends and family can hardly open a tin of beans. They can't cook, won't cook or have any interest in cooking. So AH, what are you cooking limitations?
    fresh herbs have to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Yes can cook enough to survive, its just unfortunate that alot of people think they are better cooks than they are;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yes, I am a deadly cook. For the past year I was what some call a flexitarian or semi-vegetarian. I would eat meat once a week or once every two weeks. Would only eat meat out or meat that was of a very high standard. For the past 3 weeks I've given the meat a miss, will probably go fully vegetarian for a good while, I'm even planning Christmas dinner without meat :D

Since eating less meat, my cooking has really come on. I can make deadly curries, chillies, burritos, pastas, Sunday roasts (I use stuffed peppers as the meat substitute). Chick peas, kidney beans and butter beans are the main meat substitute, cheap in aldi too. Also make gratin dauphinoise and shepards pie with brown lentils and vegetarian friendly gravy and savoury mince mix, topped with mash and baked in the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I love cooking, but only for other people. Left to myself I would survive on pitta bread and pizza. I did a full time 3 month professional cookery course a few years ago so can cook just about anything. And I love baking, am on a huge cup cakes bender the last while.

Cooking gives me great pleasure, there is something hugely satisfying about watching someone you love eating the nutritious and wholesome food you've prepared for them :)

If by cook you mean can I fry a steak or make a simple curry or bolognese (using a jar of sauce) etc then yes. But I hate cooking and have no interest in spending any time preparing or cooking I just do the bare minimum and eat mostly the same things every week as I know I can prepare and cook them easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement