Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can You Cook...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I'm pretty kickass, I even used to make donuts, does anyone want to guess the secret ingredient in donuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Not a bad cook as long as it's not a long process... Tend to get distracted and muck up the timing if it's a complicated one :P Well able to feed myself and the housemates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i make a mean rasher pizza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

i rarely cook anymore but i can cook pretty much anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

there's a lad in work who gave me a bit of stick a few months ago when I told them I had burnt my steak the previous night because I'm a big eejit. Last week we found out that this chap has never cooked in his life and doesn't even know how to boil an egg! The cheek of him to even give me a tiny bit of stick! He relies too much on his mammy to do the cooking for him and when I asked him what he'll do when he plans to move out..."oh my girlfriend will do that for me!". None of us could believe it, he's 22 year old and has literally never made anything for himself! He plans on marrying this girl etc etc so I asked what will he do when his girlfriend is sick or heavily pregnant and can't cook for him, he just shrugs his shoulders and says "I'm sure she'll be fine!" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My b/f is the cook in our house. I'd live on cereal and toast if I was left to my own devices. I do love to bake cakes though.

nbar12 wrote: »
    there's a lad in work who gave me a bit of stick a few months ago when I told them I had burnt my steak the previous night because I'm a big eejit. Last week we found out that this chap has never cooked in his life and doesn't even know how to boil an egg! The cheek of him to even give me a tiny bit of stick! He relies too much on his mammy to do the cooking for him and when I asked him what he'll do when he plans to move out..."oh my girlfriend will do that for me!". None of us could believe it, he's 22 year old and has literally never made anything for himself! He plans on marrying this girl etc etc so I asked what will he do when his girlfriend is sick or heavily pregnant and can't cook for him, he just shrugs his shoulders and says "I'm sure she'll be fine!" :eek:

My sister can't cook and she has been living away from home for a few years. She just buys cooked food, eats stuff that doesn't have to be cooked etc. Boiling some broccoli is about all she does cooking wise and she is happy enough so I'm sure he will survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Yep, I can cook pretty well but still loads that I want to be able to do, not that long since I stopped cooking with jars and started using my own ingredients. I make a pretty feckin good lasagne, though I haven't figured out how to make the creamy sauce myself yet. I also until lately just could not make a pancake to save my life but I've mastered it just in the past fortnight!
    I think I'd be a better cook if I had more money to buy all the raw ingredients tbh. Looking forward to starting getting paid and spending it on getting fat. Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I can cook all sorts of things.

I haven't tried Meth yet but I might give it a go if I lose my job again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As Robert Rodriguez famously once said:
    Eating and sex are two things you're going to do for the rest of your life. You might as well get good at both.

While I can't vouch for the latter I'm certainly not too shabby a cook. I love to eat good food so once I moved out of the family home I set about learning to make myself some tasty meals.
    These days I don't get as much time in the kitchen as I'd like but when I do have time, I like to make some tasty grub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Love cooking, do it every night!

Can cook a whole feast of food no problem, get very into it though! Has to be perfect.

While I'm a pretty damn good cook, I cannot bake at all. Always a massive fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

nbar12 wrote: »

I hate people like that. The cheek of him. Everyone should be able to cook to a certain degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Cool wrote: »
    I make a pretty feckin good lasagne, though I haven't figured out how to make the creamy sauce myself yet.

Just Google "Bechamel Sauce". It's easy to make - basically flour, butter and milk.

For Lasagne, I'd always add a pinch of nutmeg to it.

It's a great sauce to know how to make as it goes with lots of things from vegetables to the likes of grilled pork. Add a bit of grated cheese to it & you have a cheese sauce - cheddar will give you Cheddar Sauce, a hard cheese like Gruyere will give you Mornay Sauce, mustard, a Mustard Sauce etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

I'm a pretty good cook! Living out of home for college will do that to you. I make a mean lasagne and pasta carbonara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Wibbs wrote: »
    Degag wrote: »
    See, that's my problem. People say its fuel for the body... but if we have yo do something, why not try to enjoy it?
    What if you only enjoy the results of topping up the tank? For me, so long as it satisfies the need I'm generally meh about the process.
    But wouldn't you rather eat good food than meh food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

I like to think I can cook pretty well, I do a mean Cajun pasta concoction anyway! I can't really understand people who don't cook, I know each to their own but I really couldn't live on ready meals. Although in saying that I am useless at baking; way to precise for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

mauzo wrote: »
    I don't give myself enough credit. I'm a great cook. Love changing up recipes.

Everything I cook gets an onion in it lol fooking love onions

I hate* onions. I started cooking because it meant I could make meals that normally contain onions and omit the onions from the recipe.

*Now that I can cook, I have learned that they are tolerable if caramelised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just made myself a delectable Pot Noodle.
    So no, I can't cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm a pretty good cook. It's rare that I'd produce anything totally inedible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

cant cook to save me life
    i even burnt cereal before and that was something that was not suppose to even be cooked

explains everything really :D

I love baking and I'm good at it, baking all sorts of things.
    I can cook and I like making a curry or stir fry with various spices (no processed jar stuff) and can make a few other bits and pieces. Should try more recipes though really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm really into food so I'm always messing around trying to make new things. Yeah, I can cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I can fry and boil, have no idea how to use the oven though :cool:

Advertisement