Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/advice needed!

• 26-08-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello!
    Well like many I'm starting 6th year soon and am just looking for some advice from people who have already completed their leaving cert!

Firstly i am aiming high in terms of points around 550 this feat has never been accomplished in my school nor has anyone got near it an am wondering due to the inconvenient circumstances should i just forget about this "dream" of mine!
    Another thing is i just finished 5th yr even though i was pretty much top of the class i didnt study all the much other than for xmas test /summer ect. and also worried that i have left the chance to break into the 500+ barrier too late?!

I am also picking up another subject at higher level economics and have read it during the summer and wondering what is the best approach to encoperate it into regular routine? btw am doing 6h(bio,eng,ital,hist,bus,eco) 2o(maths,irish)!
    and finally am wondering what are you studying when you go back 5th yr work or new 6th yr work and then when you get time go over the 5th yr things? also last plea for any of them subjects i mentioned any tips that you picked up along the way for a really good result and how much study 2 start?
    Thanks, DC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

DanielC95 wrote: »
    Hello!
    Well like many I'm starting 6th year soon and am just looking for some advice from people who have already completed their leaving cert!
    I just did my leaving cert, I got 500 points.
    Firstly i am aiming high in terms of points around 550 this feat has never been accomplished in my school nor has anyone got near it an am wondering due to the inconvenient circumstances should i just forget about this "dream" of mine!

Most definitely not, the experts told me that I'd never get on well in my lc due to disability but they were wrong. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done with a lot of hard work.

Another thing is i just finished 5th yr even though i was pretty much top of the class i didnt study all the much other than for xmas test /summer ect. and also worried that i have left the chance to break into the 500+ barrier too late?!
    If you don't mind me asking, what were your grades like? People have been known to do much better once they know what their goal is so it's not impossible if you work from day one. You'll have to practice lots of exam papers etc.
    finally am wondering what are you studying when you go back 5th yr work or new 6th yr work and then when you get time go over the 5th yr things?
    Tbh it depends on the subject, with history, maths, English, and biology we were working nearly up to the last day. We had about a month before the leaving cert of class revision in biology. You have to do the work at home, revise there, keep on top of the current work too though. Many teachers handed out revision plans to us and tested us on them but it depends on the school and teachers.
    also last plea for any of them subjects i mentioned any tips that you picked up along the way for a really good result and how much study 2 start?
    Thanks, DC
    Start studying the way you'd want to finish it. For history I wrote out notes all the time and recorded myself saying the LQs out loud.

For biology I talked it through and imagined the things happening e.g. the heart contracting and relaxing and remembered the order in which they happened. Pay attension and get involved in bio experiments but you must know the theory before you do the practical.

For English read a lot and practice from your exam papers, write properly even when texting etc, honestly it helps. Time yourself doing the work too, timing will either make or break you.

Good luck.

Advertisement