Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob questions

Options
  • 27-08-2012 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

been into target shooting with airsoft guns and archery but lately ive been considering getting into pistol shooting...just wondering what id have to do to license something like a sig mosquito and how much it might cost me...based in wexford...thanks for the help

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's straight forward enough.

The Sig Mosquito, with a 5 round mag, is and unrestricted firearm. So you get an FCA1 (Firearms license application form), fill it in, and send it off.

Before doing so you need to be a member of an authorised range as target shooting is the only valid reason for having a pistol. You include with your FCA1 the membership details, range details, and a copy of the membership card.

Your application will be assessed, and a decision given to you in 3 months. It can be sooner, as well as longer, but 3 months is the official time frame.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Ezridax wrote: »
    It's straight forward enough.

The Sig Mosquito, with a 5 round mag, is and unrestricted firearm. So you get an FCA1 (Firearms license application form), fill it in, and send it off.

Before doing so you need to be a member of an authorised range as target shooting is the only valid reason for having a pistol. You include with your FCA1 the membership details, range details, and a copy of the membership card.

Your application will be assessed, and a decision given to you in 3 months. It can be sooner, as well as longer, but 3 months is the official time frame.

thanks a million...are all clubs certified for pistol shooting?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No.

The best bet would be to look at the NASRPC. They deal with pistol shooting, and have a list of clubs so you could check to see which is closest to you, and suits you best.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Any people in our club who had mosquitos got rid of them pretty sharpish, they weren't very good , sig do a .22lr version of the p226 now and it would be miles better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Depp wrote: »
    been into target shooting with airsoft guns and archery but lately ive been considering getting into pistol shooting...just wondering what id have to do to license something like a sig mosquito and how much it might cost me...based in wexford...thanks for the help

On the cost end you are looking at:

The firearm itself: (lets suppose your buying a firearm thats €600)
    The club fee: (I think most clubs are around 300 a year- and I think most- charge extra for your first year- midlands for example is 600)
    Competency course: I got mine for 125 (different places charge different amounts)
    Secure accomodation: You can get a decent(ish) safe for 150(ish)
    Insurance: Im with NARGC and thats 56 a year
    Licence fee: 80 euro (this is another re-occuring fee)
    Accessories (cleaning kit, bullets, holsters etc): Lets say another 100

So overall your looking at (give or take) around €1,800

And I always think its worth saying to new people, (as a lot of them don't realise until they are well into the licencing process). If you get a pistol you cannot shoot it outside of the range or you lose the licence. It can only be shot on the range. I would highly recommend you go to a range and try it first before spending the best part of 2 grand on something you very well not like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd recommend dropping d idea of getting a mosquito. they look cool but are crap enough guns, very inaccurate, and very small.

Go to a club and try out a few different pistols, nearly all of which will shoot better than the mosquito.

Advertisement