Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Retrospective

Options
  • 27-08-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

This is an utterly awesome look at the 1999 action-adventure game Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. The post focuses on the myriad of content that was cut from the final version of the game in order to get it shipped on time but also features some concept art of some final designs thrown in for good measure.

If anyone hasn't played it then I most definitely recommend doing so. It can be picked up for peanuts from GoG here and, in my slightly biased opinion, still holds up quite well. I also suggest giving the entire series a try, the characters and story which feature throughout are some of the best you'll come across in video games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I remember I had this on the ps1 and loved it, I just kept getting stuck & eventually gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,239 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I played SR2 only, but **** me that post was seriously in depth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

remember playing this on ps1 :D
    had no idea what i was doing
    where i was going
    what the story line was
    took me about 2 months to find out that i could actually pick up spears and kill the monster things with it haha
    still loved it though
    scared the **** outta me :P was only a lil boy at the time ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been banging on about how the Sould Reaver and Blood Omen (and Defiance, of course) games need a HD re-release for the last few months on the H-S-N podcasts. I absolutely love these games. The storylines are incredibly deep and lush, filled with fantastic characters, and set in a cool but admittedly cheesy world. The voice acting was, without a doubt, some of the greatest in it's day too.

I'll get stuck into the links in the OP later when I have a little time on my hands.

is the GOG version playable with a mouse & keyboard, or would you need a gamepad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I played it back in the day on with a keyboard and mouse and I'm pretty sure it was fine.

Sound I'll grab it today. I'll be experiencing it pretty much as a brand new game, it's been so long since I've played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That is some thread! Can't believe they cut the last battle with Kain! Speaking of, this thread brings back great memories of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. What an epic game that was.

The first Blood Omen is the only LoK game I never got the chance to play through. Played a wee bit of it in a mate's gaff back when it was available, but unfortunately I never owned a copy to play through myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    That is some thread! Can't believe they cut the last battle with Kain! Speaking of, this thread brings back great memories of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. What an epic game that was.
    Ah, but do you not think the way the story eventually played out was better? Personally I think it would have been tragic to have ended the series there, knowing what we got in SR2 and Defiance in terms of character and plot development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TBH I never played SR 2 or Defiance. Looking them up there, I have no bloody idead why I haven't played them :confused: Great series.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    TBH I never played SR 2 or Defiance. Looking them up there, I have no bloody idead why I haven't played them :confused: Great series.

Do youself a favour and get on that quick! Fantastic games. There was also a Blood Omen 2, but that one wasn't really great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I had Soul Reaver on my DreamCast, great game, would love to see it revamped and all the content that had to be left out put back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

My favourite game on the Dreamcast, bar none.

I do remember being in certain areas and there being ledges and hints that certain areas were to be opened/revisited later on but never were. Makes sense reading this stuff.

As Shiminay says - HD remake with all the content restored! :p

Shiminay wrote: »
    I had Soul Reaver on my DreamCast, great game, would love to see it revamped and all the content that had to be left out put back in.
    I doubt it's that simple unfortunately, most of the content which was cut appears to in an unfinished state if it even managed to get get into production in the first place. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, it'd be a monumental project tbh, but if they had the original plans and assets, I reckon if they had enough of the original designers and artists on board and got a few Unreal Engine 3 people, they could get it out the door in 12-18 months.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Yea, it'd be a monumental project tbh, but if they had the original plans and assets, I reckon if they had enough of the original designers and artists on board and got a few Unreal Engine 3 people, they could get it out the door in 12-18 months.
    Not a chance in bloody hell could you recreate that game, including the cut content, to a current/next gen standard in 12-18 months. Well, not a chance unless you had an abnormally large development team and/or development budget. :o

Played a little bit of it today. Controls grand with a keyboard actually. The restricted camera and low fov is giving me a bit of a headache though :(

The music certainly brings back memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Reading that thread makes me want to play them all again, although I've never played Blood Omen so I should probably get on that.

All that content looks so cool, especially all the different reavers. Would've loved if that all had've been in the actual game but I think they resurrected it well, and continued the unsatisfying end to SR with SR2 and defiance.

Reading that thread makes me want to play them all again, although I've never played Blood Omen so I should probably get on that.

All that content looks so cool, especially all the different reavers. Would've loved if that all had've been in the actual game but I think they resurrected it well, and continued the unsatisfying end to SR with SR2 and defiance.

Did they do that whole craic with the different reavers in SR2, or am I mixing things up. I'm pretty sure I remember using different elements on the sword for different tasks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is it necessary or desirable story wise to play LOK first?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apparently a lot of the deleted content was included in Defiance. Haven't played it myself though.

noodler wrote: »
    Is it necessary or desirable story wise to play LOK first?

As in the Blood Omen game? Nope, not really. I jumped on at Soul Reaver with very little knowlege about Blood Omen back in the day, but it didn't hinder the story at all for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

So many memories of the hours and hours I got stuck into these games. Some of the best ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

How amazing would it be if they remade the 1st Blood Omen using something like the Skyrim engine , Imagine replaying that epic fight you have when Kain is human and you get murdered at the start , That would be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I remember reading a preview in EGM a few months before the game came out. They outlined most of the game, including the content that would ultimately get cut. They had loads of concept art, so I spent hours looking for the Priestess and Turel in the finished game. I also thought I'd gotten a bad ending of some sort. What was even more perplexing was the lack of any conversation about this stuff online!

Eventually I gave up and forgot about it. It put me off the series for years, then I picked Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 about a year before Defiance came out. I was disappointed by SR2's linearity and BO2's general crappiness, but was reminded how much I loved these characters and Nosgoth.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Apparently a lot of the deleted content was included in Defiance. Haven't played it myself though.

Yeah, they pretty much tie up the whole series in Defiance.

Anyway, if anyone wants to find out more about the cut content in SR or the LoK series generally, check out this site:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

deathrider wrote: »
    As in the Blood Omen game? Nope, not really. I jumped on at Soul Reaver with very little knowlege about Blood Omen back in the day, but it didn't hinder the story at all for me.

Seriously?? Id say its definitely worth playing LOK first. It introduces you to Kain, how he becomes a vampire, Nosgoth and the pillars of Balance, Möbius and how he first manipulates Kain into doing his bidding, Vorador..etc. If you dont play it, at least watch it on youtube or read a synopsis!!

I loved the LOK series. I bought the original blood omen in 98, solely because the screenshots ont he box made it look like zelda! But the story and world totally sucked me in. Simon Templeman as Kain is defintely one of gamings best anti-heroes. I was pumped as hell for Soul Reaver, and loved it. SR2 was great, even tho it was pretty much the exact same gameplay wise as SR (and in sr2 was whent he plot started to lose me a bit with the Hylden).

Defiance, well its okay. Sadly they tried to turn LOK into a DMC clone and the story is probably the weakest of the games but it has a good ending.

Blood omen 2...never even finished it. pure ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally got round to going through everything there, and it simply shows how great this game really was. Between this, SR2 and Defiance, I have not played another series which I have grown to love as much (albeit God of War and Darksiders are very close).

Everything about this game was brilliant, and being unable to access certain areas and knowing there was more abilities and reavers intended was something that really got me excited about the future of the series.

It still has, imo, one of the best stories and top class voice acting in any game, ever. Simon Templeman is, as stated above, is the best anti-hero to ever have been created. By the end of Defiance I wanted so much more to happen. I wanted more of this beautifully imagined world, more of the fantastic interactions between Kain, Raziel, Moebius, the Elder God, Mortanius, Vorador and more. I don't think there was one character in the series that I didn't like.

God I could go on and on, and some of ye know my absolute and unconditional love for this game, and thesseries in general. I would be like a giggling school girl if they were to do a hd re-release of the series, but I wouldn't want them to change a thing. Everything was perfect. Some people didn't like certain aspects of the series, mad I will admit Blood Omen 2 is the weak link, but (rose tinted glasses aside) it's still the best series I've ever played.

Couldn't recommend this series more to everyone. If you've never experienced it before, you're in for a treat,even if the article spoiled a few extremely big twists. And I still think they stand up today. Think I'll replay them all in anticipation for Borderlands 2.

It still has, imo, one of the best stories and top class voice acting in any game, ever. Simon Templeman is, as stated above, is the best anti-hero to ever have been created. By the end of Defiance I wanted so much more to happen. I wanted more of this beautifully imagined world, more of the fantastic interactions between Kain, Raziel, Moebius, the Elder God, Mortanius, Vorador and more. I don't think there was one character in the series that I didn't like.
    It's such a pity Tony Jay is dead. While I loved his work in general, his VO work as the Elder God and Mortanius was absolutely fantastic.
    God I could go on and on, and some of ye know my absolute and unconditional love for this game, and thesseries in general. I would be like a giggling school girl if they were to do a hd re-release of the series, but I wouldn't want them to change a thing. Everything was perfect. Some people didn't like certain aspects of the series, mad I will admit Blood Omen 2 is the weak link, but (rose tinted glasses aside) it's still the best series I've ever played.
    I fear the word "reboot" used in conjunction with the last round of remake rumours is going to result in many a broken hearts. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

gizmo wrote: »
    It's such a pity Tony Jay is dead. While I loved his work in general, his VO work as the Elder God and Mortanius was absolutely fantastic.

I meant to mention that, it was a sad day when he died, I agree with you wholeheartedly, fantastic work by him in SR.

Advertisement