Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Retrospective

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

This thread inspired me to play the first Blood Omen as I'd never gotten round to it, having played all the others in the series. Just finished it there and it's damn good, if I had played this first it would've cleared up some stuff for sure, especially in Defiance (had no idea who Mortanius was.) I think I may get the rest of them from GOG, (well maybe not BO2) as I'd love to replay them all.

I had to laugh whenever you can talk to some of the townsfolk and they're so obviously Tony Jay or Simon Templeman putting on an accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No point in making a new thread for this...

Behind the Classics: Amy Hennig Talks Soul Reaver Secrets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

If they reboot the LoK series, they'd better get Hennig back on board! I'm kinda in two minds about a reboot though, the series might be best left alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Blood Omen 2 was my favourite oddly enough, but it's definitely a series that should be rebooted. Would love to see a LoK launch title on the next gen of consoles.

Mr. K wrote: »
    If they reboot the LoK series, they'd better get Hennig back on board! I'm kinda in two minds about a reboot though, the series might be best left alone...
    Hennig works for Naughty Dog.
    Sony own Naughty Dog.
    Square Enix own the Legacy of Kain IP.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The games were pretty good but the stories behind them were absolutely fantastic. Anybody that hasn't seen it should check out the opening scenes from soul reaver on youtube.

The original blood omen was pretty crap but if you're going to play the games you definitely should check out the movie of all the cut scenes (or for any of the games you don't plan on playing), pointless playing any of them without knowing at least some of the back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

This is THE game I've always wanted to play/finish!!!!!

Finished Blood Omen and loved it, played SR for a while on the ps1 but never got near finishing it!!!

Now I have it on my S3, connect up my PS3 controller and it plays flawlessly!!! I have a feeling I'm in for a treat!!!!

Another cracking thread from Mama Robotnik has been posted over at NeoGAF detailing the list of cancelled games in the series. I imagine the biggest surprises for many will be info on The Dark Prophecy and the even more recent Dead Sun. The loss of the latter will hurt all the more since it is only the multiplayer aspect of which that has been saved for the recently announced War for Nosgoth. :(

The same NeoGAF poster has now dug up the first game play footage form the cancelled title in the series, Dead Sun. Thought it may be of interest to some folk around here. :)

Gameplay of cancelled Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well, thats just sad to see :(

I really miss the series....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone else playing Nosgoth? I'm finding it a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think it would annoy me more, that this great game gets canned and they spew out AC every year

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think it would annoy me more, that this great game gets canned and they spew out AC every year
    Well the reason for that is simple, Assassins Creed, as a series, sells gazillions of copies. Black Flag, for instance, sold over 11m copies and Unity/Rogue, despite their various issues, had sold over 10m copies by last December. Conversely, Dead Sun was cancelled at a time when Square Enix was going through a rather difficult period reconciling sales estimates with actual sales. Given the targets for the likes of Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider from around that time combined with the work put into Dead Sun to that point, I'd say they would have been looking at around the 1.5m mark for Dead Sun, something they probably felt they wouldn't hit, hence its cancellation.

As for Nosgoth, I'm not playing it on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

gizmo wrote: »
    The same NeoGAF poster has now dug up the first game play footage form the cancelled title in the series, Dead Sun. Thought it may be of interest to some folk around here. :)

Gameplay of cancelled Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun leaks

So weird... When I was a kid, and SR came out, I always imagined a world you get a glimpse of before Raziel is banished, and that they could make a game of it, and it would be open world, and you would be one of the evolved vampires, with wings. In my minds eye it looked JUST like this, but at the time I obviousl thought it would be years before they could make it.

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

probably the only game series i was a tad obsessed with played every single one of those legacy of Kane games, even the top down rpg one, i thought the final game they made went to on rails for my liking compared to the older ones but the story was fantastic and you genuinely got invested in the characters and what was happening to them and by the end of it all it was kind of sad and very full filling end Q_Q i need a tissue RAZIELL :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I actually enjoyed Blood Omen 2 the most, even though it was possibly the 'cheapest' of all, very generic in terms of game play and level design, but it was just a good old fashioned arcade slasher and it really fleshed out the world a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Advertisement