Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about Kippers for Breakfast.

Options
  • 27-08-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm Thinking about starting to have Kippers for Breakfast once or twice week.

2 Issues:
    - I'm not sure how to eat them. My experience with fish is lackluster to say the least (only battered/breadcrumbed donegal catch). So do I need to worry about bones?

- I'm worried about smell. I intend on cooking them on tinfoil under the grill for 5 mins. From what I gather, they stink. If I chuck the foil into the bin right after... will I still end up with stink in the kitchen for days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

They could kill you!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Someone posted a guide to cooking fish only the other day and kippers are in there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80430412&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Here is my experience of them:

You can buy them:

1. Frozen from Iceland, M&S and that is about it? Very handy to have in the freezer and can be cooked frozen (Boiled in the bag).

2. (Fresh) From the fish counter in many supermarkets, these generally have come from frozen and are not suitable for refreezing. These can be cooked in the grill or fried. In the more upmarket fishmongers, you will find them with the heads still on. Do not despair you need not eat the heads. You can also have them as 'jugged' kippers.

3. Vac packed, very like 1. above and can be got in M&S and Dunnes. The Dunnes ones are very nice (in green and gold pack and Irish I think). These can be grilled, fried and boiled in the bag.

4. Tinned; I have never tried these.

Smell: yes there is fishy smell with these, but I do not fine it unpleasant. If you wipe down you cooking area with lemon juice or vinegar, it will cut out the smell.

Eat with: lemon, grilled tomatoes, toast, cherry tomatoes reduced in balsamic vinegar, just butter or any combination.

Last thing: They are cheap as chips but the quality can vary, becoming better as the price goes up. Some will be properly (traditionally) smoked others less so and may have dyes or smoked extracts added.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

My favourite breakfast. I normally grill them and leave the window open as the smell can be quite strong.

They are delicious with marmalade on toast, as the oily fish goes very well with the sweet marmalade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Got a pack of Lidl Smoked Mackerel.

Had them for breakfast this morning. Not bad, tasted like smokey bacon. Mouth tasted very salty until the afternoon.

Actually, I've never really been fond of fish so this has been a decent experience.

The smell has lingered in my apartment though. Hoping to cook up some mince now in a bit and that it will get rid of the smell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement