Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandyford Clúid-owned apartments

Options
  • 27-08-2012 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey everyone. Just been having a look around for an apartment and I've found a great one that suites my needs. It's owned by Clúid, and is quite pricey at 1400 a month. Research has been telling me all about their work as a charity organisation, and how out of these 58 particular apartments, 34 are dedicated to social housing.

Being a private tenant, it raises a concern for how such communities tend to get along, and the caliber of social tenants clúid allows. As the apartments are going pretty quick, and no one currently lives there (they're brand new, still being fully fitted), there is no reference really. Such a situation of course doesn't bother me, provided all is well. It only really takes a few bad sets of neighbours to bring an area down (private or social tenants, for that matter!).

Can anyone comment on the success of such mixed tenure complexes, preferably through first hand experience? Have clúid's policies held strong and achieved what they aim too? I desperately don't want to move into an apartment complex that quickly becomes uncomfortable, especially at late hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

do you know how much the social tenants are paying? i've heard it's very low monthly rent. it would irk me to pay such a high rent of 1400 euro p.m. while others get the same at a massive discount, there only reason being you are working.

i'm not trying to stoke an argument either.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fightorflight

I am interested in this thread as I am about to sign a lease on one of these apartments. I am disappointed to find out that over 50% of the apartments are social housing, something that was never mentioned to me by Cluid at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Matthew93

I am interested in this thread as I am about to sign a lease on one of these apartments. I am disappointed to find out that over 50% of the apartments are social housing, something that was never mentioned to me by Cluid at any point.

Same here. I only noticed through pure chance; remembered reading about NAMA purchasing these apartments, who then sold them to Clúid. Only put two and two together after seeing the letting agents Clúid email address.

Being honest, it is only a problem if it causes problems. In the end, you hardly end up knowing your neighbours in most cases, and if they are quiet and not troublesome it really makes no difference as to who they are or what there background is, be it good or bad.

who_ru wrote: »
    do you know how much the social tenants are paying? i've heard it's very low monthly rent. it would irk me to pay such a high rent of 1400 euro p.m. while others get the same at a massive discount, there only reason being you are working.

i'm not trying to stoke an argument either.

I guess that's just how it is really. Most private tenants are on the same boat. The apartments are very well kitted out. Bathroom mood lighting & design furnishings, nice wooden floors with black contemporary kitchen fittings. Very modern, as is most of the area (besides the unfinished towers block or two). There isn't much to match it for this kind of rental price (which have remained the same for two years now). Full of young business men & women during the days, having lunch in the courtyard. Can even do a bit of supercar spotting in the afternoons. Close the motorway and Luas. Not the usual social housing estate, which makes it interesting as to how things will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

A friend rents out a Cluid 1 bed apt. (in the D.15 area) , normal rent for such an apt is 600pm, however he is paying 320pm.
    I thought his rent was pretty good for such a nice place. He would be a social housing tenant.
    A lot of his friends have also gotten Cluid apts in the area, after moving on from HSE/ long term psych care. My friend is doing v. well, but some of his friends are not managing as well as him in an independent living situation.
    I wrongly presumed Cluid were for psych patients moving on until I found this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op there were brand new 1st let 2 bedroom apartments just launched in grande central from €1125 per month... (think they may have all been snapped up at this stage though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Matthew93

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Op there were brand new 1st let 2 bedroom apartments just launched in grande central from €1125 per month... (think they may have all been snapped up at this stage though).

Had a look at those, but they were a little too small (not just me going to be in it) at that price range. Definitely looking out for bigger. This apartment was a duplex with two identical large rooms, and two identical bathrooms. Sadly, seems the apartment has been taken anyway as it is now offline. Hopefully there are developments like it around this area! Grand Central looks alright, but it overlooks a horrible building site. Much worse than the Beacon, in which often you can't see much of the undeveloped buildings anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nomnomnom999

I normally just read boards.ie but for once I came across a thread I can contribute to so here goes..

I live in a Cluid apartment in Stepaside and my advice would be if you have young kids stay away. If the Sandyford apartments can be compared to that in Stepaside, they should be fine for single people, couples or families with older children. I'm not making sweeping statements about social housing tenants by the way. I am one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that I have been provided a home when otherwise my daughter and I would have been in a homeless shelter. However, I can't wait to get my daughter away from the terrible influences I find her surrounded by on a daily basis. (before someone comments - you try keeping an extrovert ten year old in when she can here the roaring children running wild outside). There are just too many unsupervised kids around when you have blocks of apartments filled with young families. Hopefully (thanks to Cluid), I will be in a position to buy somewhere in a few years. I would NEVER buy here though. Renting is another issue assuming it is a temporary housing solution.

Also, be very sure that there is a parking space associated with any apartment you rent, from a social/affordable specific block in particular. It's not uncommon for there to be more apartments than parking spaces.

Advertisement