Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Economist slates Romney

• 27-08-2012 5:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.businessinsider.com/so-mitt-romney-what-do-you-really-believe-2012-8

The Economist, traditionally fairly conservative in its fiscal stance, has just absolutely lambasted Romney.
    But competence is worthless without direction and, frankly, character. Would that Candidate Romney had indeed presented himself as a solid chief executive who got things done. Instead he has appeared as a fawning PR man, apparently willing to do or say just about anything to get elected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

And so the traditionally anti-incumbent paper that endorsed Reagon, Dole and Bush won't back Romney. I'm a big fan of the economist and it tends to be on the money about US politics. The paper would have probably endorsed Governor Romney in a heartbeat. But candidate Romney has disappointed them.

This also doesn't mean the paper will back Obama. In 84 and 88 it backed neither candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

cristoir wrote: »
    And so the traditionally anti-incumbent paper that endorsed Reagon, Dole and Bush won't back Romney. I'm a big fan of the economist and it tends to be on the money about US politics. The paper would have probably endorsed Governor Romney in a heartbeat. But candidate Romney has disappointed them.

This also doesn't mean the paper will back Obama. In 84 and 88 it backed neither candidate.

Nope, but for a candidate who so very clearly wants to make this election about the economy, I find it telling that the world's foremost economic magazine basically said he is clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

MadsL wrote: »
    http://www.businessinsider.com/so-mitt-romney-what-do-you-really-believe-2012-8

The Economist, traditionally fairly conservative in its fiscal stance, has just absolutely lambasted Romney.
    Besides, this election will be fought on the economy. This is where Manager Romney should be at his strongest. But he has yet to convince; sometimes, again, being needlessly extremist, more often evasive and vague.
    In theory, Mr. Romney has a detailed 59-point economic plan. In practice, it ignores virtually all the difficult or interesting questions (indeed, "The Romney Programme for Economic Recovery, Growth and Jobs" is like "Fifty Shades of Grey" without the sex).

:D

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan: The Do-Over.

"I love this State. The trees are the right height!"

"Corporations are people".

"I stand by what I said, whatever it was". Mitt Romney

I never knew Mitt did stand-up comedy. He's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I can see where a publication that is supportive of globalization, free immigration and socially liberal causes might not be entirely supportive of Mitt Romney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Amerika wrote: »
    I can see where a publication that is supportive of globalization, free immigration and socially liberal causes might not be entirely supportive of Mitt Romney.

You're right. More liberal media bias. Is Fox the only real news these days? Every other news source just seems so progressive and liberal. And I hate the way they have facts! Who needs facts when we have faith. Hallelujah!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

You're right. More liberal media bias. Is Fox the only real news these days? Every other news source just seems so progressive and liberal. And I hate the way they have facts! Who needs facts when we have faith. Hallelujah!!

Did I say anything that was factually incorrect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Amerika wrote: »

You will have a very hard time convincing me The Economist is a liberal organ.

Globalisation? Sure Bain Capital did their fair share of that.
    Free Immigration? Wasn't Bush Jr quite fond of that?
    Socially liberal causes? Errr...such as?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Unfortunately that it is a fairly poor Economist quote against Mr. Romney. The publication I've found to be fairly conservative, having used it myself the odd time to source conversative PoVs.
    It would be interesting though for it to do a compare and contrast with who it will handle Pres. Obama's policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

As someone who regularly reads the economist they have in the past been falling over themselves fawning at Mitt. They are head over heals in love Ryan. This article is actually a break from their normal stance on election 2012. The economist has no love for Obama and would be happy to see a change in the oval office.

Advertisement