Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on these learner bikes ?

• 27-08-2012 6:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

For a learner that's vertically challenged ----> 6'3 :pac:

What would you recommend ? performance is not a real concern for me, just looking for advise on which would be the best all rounder, reliability, comfort etc.

New learner rules here in NZ
    Under the Lams (Learner-Approved Motorcycle Scheme) regime, learner motorcyclists will be able to ride bikes larger than the present limit of 250cc as long as they are less than 660cc and have a power-to-weight ratio of less than 150kW per tonne

What I got so far... Am I missing anything ?

Suzuki DR650

224030900.jpg

BMW F650

227375960.jpg

Kawasaki KLE400

225386329.jpg

BMW Strada

218618663.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

v-strom dl650? dunno if it qualifies though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Outta the ones you posted I'd go for the DR650.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I have an XF650, think of a more road orientated DR650, same engine etc. Its a great all round bike. Its by no way fast, ie top end, but has great grunt. My wife has an F650GS, and its a way better bike than mine.

Both are single cylinder thumpers, great first bikes and should be easy to pick up at good money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You are in NZ, there is plenty of scope for adventure riding in that country, Personally I'd get the DR650, plenty of grunt and good spares backup from Suzuki.
    No watercooling to worry about either.
    That bike looks pretty much sorted, good alloy Barkbusters and a good battery, not much needed to do there.
    No plastics so if you do drop it its not going to cost a fortune to fix and learners will drop bikes especially off road.
    Offroad riding will teach you more handling skills in a week than a month of road riding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You are in NZ, there is plenty of scope for adventure riding in that country, Personally I'd get the DR650, plenty of grunt and good spares backup from Suzuki.
    No watercooling to worry about either.
    That bike looks pretty much sorted, good alloy Barkbusters and a good battery, not much needed to do there.
    No plastics so if you do drop it its not going to cost a fortune to fix and learners will drop bikes especially off road.
    Offroad riding will teach you more handling skills in a week than a month of road riding

Thanks for that CJ and co. For the replies..
    Yes, it's going to be used for pretty much that. Made a few calls today... I'm liking the f650 but the k's are well up there, close to 100k :eek: has lots of history and well looked after.

Liking the XF also, worthy of a look too...
    XF650

230197839_full.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

homer90 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

For a learner that's vertically challenged ----> 6'3 :pac:

What would you recommend ? performance is not a real concern for me, just looking for advise on which would be the best all rounder, reliability, comfort etc.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: See the sticky right at the top of the forum -

What you need to know about starting biking **All Learner Questions Go here!!**

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056323977 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Off topic but you're breaking my heart, Homer90. I was in Auckland with my XJR1200 until April and was meant to return in May only for an accident. You're going to love riding bikes in NZ. (I'm not jealous of the prices over there though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056323977 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Except that the OP is in New Zealand, so posting in the thread that you have linked to would cause a whole lot of confusion, as there are differnt laws for learners in NZ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

P.C. wrote: »
    Except that the OP is in New Zealand, so posting in the thread that you have linked to would cause a whole lot of confusion, as there are differnt laws for learners in NZ.
    Fair enough mod and I'm not having a go at you or the moderation of the forum, but I think you can understand when the same threads keep reappearing again and again and again .......... " Hi, I'm thinking about getting into motorbiking what bike should I start on...... how much are lessons.......how much is insurance......... will I have an accident ........ " :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The XF is the same engine as the DR but in a lower slung more road orientated bike.
    The DR has much better suspension and for a rider of your height it won't be an issue.
    The plastic on the XF won't crash as well as the DR either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Love my XF650, as said a great first bike. Finding it really hard to find decent after market parts for it. Only place I can find most stuff is in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah thanks, BUT was looking for suggestions on a bike that suits taller riders and how they find using 'said' bike from day to day..
    Have not mentioned I.B.T, permits, insurance etc etc, as is the case, the info you kindly linked to is, well, not what im after. :rolleyes:
    For a learner that's vertically challenged ----> 6'3

What would you recommend ?

Anyroad, Got a few test rides booked in, Lets see how it goes. All advice has been great, THANKS.

Advertisement