Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical components in a First Aid Survival Kit and General Survival Kits

Options
  • 27-08-2012 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have been hypnotised by this forum all weekend and have decided to put together a general survival kit and a first aid/ medical kit as if anything did happen all i would do is light pieces of the nearest cardboard until its gone and/or lighter fuel runs out!

Could I get a bit of help from ye all as to what to include in both of these kits, as possible needs for everyday that we take for granted!

I have my 24/48 and 72 hour rat packs sorted this weekend, Aldi is pack heaven.

I see theres links to peoples previous rat/medical and survival packs from other threads too, if you could only link these I would appreciate it.

Also any tips and tricks would be appreciated also. As simple as it is for example, cotton buds with petroleum jelly, genius but yet no way would someone like me have thought of that!

Regards and thanks again,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

The field and stream article (http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/survival/food/2006/08/make-survival-kit-out-altoids-tin-and-two-more-life-saving-diy-) was really well put together and gave a great breakdown of building up a kit. That said, at the end of the day it's up to each individual's preference on what to keep in and what to leave out. The number one tool you'll need is knowledge, whether from a book, a bushcraft course, common sense, or best of all, practice and experience.

Read, listen, learn, practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Have been hypnotised by this forum all weekend and have decided to put together a general survival kit and a first aid/ medical kit as if anything did happen all i would do is light pieces of the nearest cardboard until its gone and/or lighter fuel runs out!

Could I get a bit of help from ye all as to what to include in both of these kits, as possible needs for everyday that we take for granted!

I have my 24/48 and 72 hour rat packs sorted this weekend, Aldi is pack heaven.

I see theres links to peoples previous rat/medical and survival packs from other threads too, if you could only link these I would appreciate it.

Also any tips and tricks would be appreciated also. As simple as it is for example, cotton buds with petroleum jelly, genius but yet no way would someone like me have thought of that!

Regards and thanks again,
    Gary

Welcome. its fun here. THere's various threads which have covered your question, and lots of info on the internet. Knowledge is your number 1 need though, no point having a wonderful first aid thingummy that you don't know how to use, or might make a situation worse with.

Get a good first aid book, or use some of the on line sites.

check out 'where there is no doctor' which can be downloaded for free.

Also a good first aid place to start is how to do a simple assessment of someones situation, and how and when to put someone in the recovery position, and when to leave them alone. This is the sort of thing you can usse to get information to give to paramedics as they are on their way, and how you can help until they do arrive.
    Also check out the importance of soluble aspirin and heart attack response - everyone should know this and carry it, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

bonniebede wrote: »
    Welcome. its fun here. THere's various threads which have covered your question, and lots of info on the internet. Knowledge is your number 1 need though, no point having a wonderful first aid thingummy that you don't know how to use, or might make a situation worse with.

Get a good first aid book, or use some of the on line sites.

check out 'where there is no doctor' which can be downloaded for free.

Also a good first aid place to start is how to do a simple assessment of someones situation, and how and when to put someone in the recovery position, and when to leave them alone. This is the sort of thing you can usse to get information to give to paramedics as they are on their way, and how you can help until they do arrive.
    Also check out the importance of soluble aspirin and heart attack response - everyone should know this and carry it, IMO.

Thanks guys,

Both posts very helpful! Gonna start with that little tin kit in the link, thats a cool little kit, at least it will keep me occupied for the weekend :P gonna pick up some literature for bedtime reading so that first aid book will be top of the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

You will find the basics of a first aid kit here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_aid_kit
    Then just add to your own needs ie pain killers ointments different types of plasters bandages eye wash what ever you think you might need

One thing that ive started to do is carry a small note book and pen so if i need something and dont have it i make a note of it and what i needed it for then figure out where to put it on my list of need to get items

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Both posts very helpful! Gonna start with that little tin kit in the link, thats a cool little kit, at least it will keep me occupied for the weekend :P gonna pick up some literature for bedtime reading so that first aid book will be top of the list!

PM me your address and I'll mail you some of the tins so you can get started (I'll throw in some silica packs to keep moisture out). Picked up a few tins of mints at Supervalu on special and they're a grand size for a mini kit.

Once the bug bites, you're hooked for life :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Unsinnig wrote: »
    PM me your address and I'll mail you some of the tins so you can get started (I'll throw in some silica packs to keep moisture out). Picked up a few tins of mints at Supervalu on special and they're a grand size for a mini kit.

Once the bug bites, you're hooked for life :D

Believe it or not I got 2 perfect tins in Clara Market on sunday, proper tobacco tins :D

Advertisement