Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting distance from local houses ????

Options
  • 27-08-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi , just wondering is there a said distance by law that you have to be from a built up area before leaving off a shot. i live in a country village and have a bussiness on the outskirts with a pigeon problem. by law can i shoot away from the village in a safe manner, or is there noise polition issues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

There's nothing written in law, but the nargc say at least 70 yards from houses as a guideline. Just use a bit of common sense regarding the time you're shooting. Ya don't want to be waking people up or any thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Legally, I'm not sure there's any significant boundary zone around houses, there might by something written about 100m or so but it's unfortunately largely irrelevent.

If you go shooting within line of sight any residential area, you're gonna wind up in grief unless the locals are all incredibly savvy - and it's not that you'd be doing anything illegal or even remotely unsafe, but I'd pretty much guarantee some "concerned citizen" will call the Gardai about it and that's just a situation that's better off avoided regardless of the circumstances.

There's plenty of fields in the land that are situated out of sight of the general populous and have just as many pigeons on them so if I were you, I'd save myself the grief. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vertigeo

extremetaz wrote:
    There's plenty of fields in the land that are situated out of sight of the general populous and have just as many pigeons on them so if I were you, I'd save myself the grief. ;)

Much as i agree with you, Im not too worried bout my neighbouring fields, nor am i wanting to shoot these as a hobby. they are costing me money as they are attacking my vegetable stock and as such are a pest. so my grief at present lies with the pigeons. Thanks anyway taz, but i just did,nt want to be shooting illegally and needed to confirm if there was a limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

vertigeo wrote: »

Much as i agree with you, Im not too worried bout my neighbouring fields, nor am i wanting to shoot these as a hobby. they are costing me money as they are attacking my vegetable stock and as such are a pest. so my grief at present lies with the pigeons. Thanks anyway taz, but i just did,nt want to be shooting illegally and needed to confirm if there was a limit.

Well if its costing you money thats derogation. Providing you arent in a built up area you could get someone in to shoot them with a rifle and silencer. No worries then about annoying neighbours/businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

There is something somewhere about firing a projectile 80 feet from a road or something a long those lines.

I shoot in behind my house at the back of a village and never have any problems. just been sure to fire away from it.

What will you be using to shoot them with? shotgun, rifle or air rifle?

It there is going to be a bit of noise you could pop down to the nearest few houses and tell them what the noise is going to be so they wont be phoning the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

garv123 wrote: »
    If there is going to be a bit of noise you could pop down to the nearest few houses and tell them what the noise is going to be so they wont be phoning the guards.

Thats probably the best idea, then people will know what's going on when they hear the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Much as i agree with you, Im not too worried bout my neighbouring fields, nor am i wanting to shoot these as a hobby. they are costing me money as they are attacking my vegetable stock

Well, in that case - if you're anywhere near the Mullingar/Enfield region of the world, drop me a PM if you need a hand. Have a moderated air-rifle for this very purpose. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

well y self i have heard bout the 60 feet away from a house but i have recently heard bout un lawful use discharge of firearms which means there is no amount of feet from the road just a matter of its going to cause injurey or damage to any one and all bout using your common sense i was told

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

well myself i have heard bout the 60 feet away from a house ...............
    It's the Summary Jurisdiction (Ireland) Act 1851 and it says within 60 feet of a public road. So that's 18 metres, 20 yards, or 60 feet. (Whichever comes first :D).
    ........ but i have recently heard bout un lawful use discharge of firearms which means there is no amount of feet from the road just a matter of its going to cause injurey or damage to any one and all bout using your common sense i was told
    The charge of reckless discharge is much broader in it's coverage. It's main purpose is an issue of health and Safety. So even if you are outside the 60 feet from a road boundary but are causing a nuisance or being unsafe, etc you may still be prosecuted for discharging a firearm.

The simple answer is as has been said. Use common sense. Do not fire in the direction of houses, or any built up area. If you see people around or in neighbouring fields stop shooting until they pass. If you have no option in terms of the closeness to dwellings then inform them of your actions before starting shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vertigeo

garv123 wrote: »
    There is something somewhere about firing a projectile 80 feet from a road or something a long those lines.

I shoot in behind my house at the back of a village and never have any problems. just been sure to fire away from it.

What will you be using to shoot them with? shotgun, rifle or air rifle?

It there is going to be a bit of noise you could pop down to the nearest few houses and tell them what the noise is going to be so they wont be phoning the guards.

was using shotgun. Have a .22 also but pigeons not always easy seen amongst the cabbage and not easy sneak up on due to location,,,, {just too lazy to snipe really}.
    the question arose after firing off both barrels this morn at 8.45, only to have awoken a close {and new} neighbour from a drink induced sleep. i was doing everything i could not to laugh openly as he nearly fell out his top window with fright. with respect he did not involve himself in a a roaring match with me, but remained silent and visibly angry{{{i was still holding the gun}}}:D. i do appreciate all yer input and have decided to meet with him this evening and discuss the matter. Shooting during his woken hours may be more appeasing. just glad to know it was,nt illegal.
    thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

was using shotgun. Have a .22 also but pigeons not always easy seen amongst the cabbage and not easy sneak up on due to location,,,, {just too lazy to snipe really}.
    the question arose after firing off both barrels this morn at 8.45, only to have awoken a close {and new} neighbour from a drink induced sleep. i was doing everything i could not to laugh openly as he nearly fell out his top window with fright. with respect he did not involve himself in a a roaring match with me, but remained silent and visibly angry{{{i was still holding the gun}}}:D. i do appreciate all yer input and have decided to meet with him this evening and discuss the matter. Shooting during his woken hours may be more appeasing. just glad to know it was,nt illegal.
    thanks again.

Get some alpha-chlorate mix in with some grain that will do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get some alpha-chlorate mix in with some grain that will do the trick

Poison bait is no longer legal as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭raymonjdevine

Poison bait is no longer legal as far as I know.

ONLY if it's being used on meat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Hi , just wondering is there a said distance by law that you have to be from a built up area before leaving off a shot. i live in a country village and have a bussiness on the outskirts with a pigeon problem. by law can i shoot away from the village in a safe manner, or is there noise polition issues.

I do not know what the law is on this or if there is one. However, I think that good protocol would be to shoot 300ya from a residence or business.

I would also take into account: week day/weekend, time of day, proximity to children, schools, churches, and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Found this on the Garda web site but it only cover charlie.
    Fox
    The shooting of foxes at night time with the aid of a lamp is not unlawful provided it can be done with the permission of the landowner and it does not occur within 60 feet of the public road. However it does pose a greater risk to the public and other farm animals. A condition which might be considered appropriate to the licensing of a centrefire high powered rifle for fox shooting could be that Gardai are notified of any shooting taking place after dark.

Advertisement