Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another day in the Banana Republic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

A) Not surprised

Set up a poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Bring in the death penalty.
    Quieten this little corrupt country of ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

There ya go...

Sad really, especially when elected officials can't pay their tax and we will be paying a property tax next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not surprised in the slightest, it's one rule for us, and a different rule for "them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

We need to get out onto the streets and riot. It's the only way. What happened in the last 100years where Irish people went from taking power back from the motherland to quiet sheep?

No I know, business as usual but it is still so infuriating at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

All the more appalling when a business man, Paul Begley, gets 6 years in prison for tax evasion on importing garlic, despite paying the money back.

I'm not in any way shocked at this. We are in a mess because of politicians. And while it is a cliche, it really is one rule for them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I feel sorry for the man. I know he didn't pay his taxes, but he's obviously broke as he can't even afford a razor or a haircut & is forced to attend the Dail looking like a homeless bum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Wallaces master stroke payed off bigtime.
    He knew pre election that he cheated the exchequer out if tax and paid himself and his family a massive salary.
    Then he runs for election to avoid prosecution as we all know it's one rule for Td's another for the serfs,he gets elected by the gullible folk in his constituency and now he gets to shove his two fingers up to the rule of law whilst escaping his responsibilities.
    I am not even shocked as I knew well this would happen,is it any wonder we have no pride left in our nation.
    This country is just one big joke run by chancers and suckers abide by the rules only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

We need to get out onto the streets and riot. It's the only way. What happened in the last 100years where Irish people went from taking power back from the motherland to quiet sheep?

The majority of Irish people didn't take to the streets back in 1916...nor even after the leaders of the Rising were executed.

In Ireland, 100,000 + protested the war in Iraq but less than 1,000 protested about NAMA or the bank bailout.

Says it all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Sappa wrote: »
    Wallaces master stroke payed off bigtime.
    He knew pre election that he cheated the exchequer out if tax and paid himself and his family a massive salary.
    Then he runs for election to avoid prosecution as we all know it's one rule for Td's another for the serfs,he gets elected by the gullible folk in his constituency and now he gets to shove his two fingers up to the rule of law whilst escaping his responsibilities.
    I am not even shocked as I knew well this would happen,is it any wonder we have no pride left in our nation.
    This country is just one big joke run by chancers and suckers abide by the rules only.

If ya can't beat em join em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You need to add another Poll option "Both of the above". He's a politician, did ANYONE ever think he would get done for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Opened link.

And zip went the letter i received to pay for a tv licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Absolutely sickening. Bananna republic is right. Wallace you are scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Boombastic wrote: »
    Absolutely sickening. Bananna republic is right. Wallace you are scum.

Still has the cash to go on a jolly to Euro 2012 and I bet he'll be out in Turin several times this year to see his beloved Juventus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Still has the cash to go on a jolly to Euro 2012 and I bet he'll be out in Turin several times this year to see his beloved Juventus...

He'll probably get a few tips from Fidelma Healy Eames on how to cut travel expenses

From the indo article:

'...................The corporate enforcement watchdog has decided not to investigate Mr Wallace's role in under-declaring €1.4m of VAT in his construction company, the Irish Independent has learned....................'

So what exactly are we paying this 'corporate enforcement watchdog' to do? Same thing we were paying the financial regulator to do, Turn a blind eye and then retire:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Just one thing to say that says it all.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very fed up with it at this stage. Our old colonial masters could teach us a thing or two about how to deal with corrupt politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The majority of Irish people didn't take to the streets back in 1916...nor even after the leaders of the Rising were executed.

In Ireland, 100,000 + protested the war in Iraq but less than 1,000 protested about NAMA or the bank bailout.

Says it all....
    You get given nothing in life, you have to take it.

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Bring in the death penalty.
    Quieten this little corrupt country of ours.

Why on Earth would you bring in the death penalty? He's NOT going to be prosecuted, he's NOT going to see the inside of a jail cell, he's NOT going to have his assets seized/frozen, so what makes you think he'd be hanged were such a thing to exist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I'm dodging my mortgage payment on Friday so that I can pay my daughters school book bill. In the long term, if I don't pay it back, I could lose my house. But a politician owes 1.4 mill and gets off scott free.

Thank you, representatives of the people, thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

If anyone wants to do something practical about this:

DO NOT EAT IN ANY OF HIS RESTAURANTS

Tell all your friends and anyone you know the same thing. In work I get asked every day to recommend places to eat, some people asking specifically about places he owns. From now on it'll be a strong "AVOID AT ALL COSTS." That's just me, one person, costing him a couple of grand's worth of businees in the course of a year. With a good old-fashioned people power boycott we can bust the thieving cúnt. Full list of establishments here:

http://www.wallacewinebars.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

latenia wrote: »

Tell all your friends and anyone you know the same thing. In work I get asked every day to recommend places to eat, some people asking specifically about places he owns. From now on it'll be a strong "AVOID AT ALL COSTS." That's just me, one person, costing him a couple of grand's worth of businees in the course of a year. With a good old-fashioned people power boycott we can bust the thieving cúnt. Full list of establishments here

And then what? He'll siphon more money from the country into keeping his businesses afloat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Rioting never helps i personally think that it was BECAUSE this country came to independance through violence rather than due process and lawful democracy that we have such issues enforcing the law on politics.

The expansion of power down from the wealthy is a threat to social mobility and rule of law.

But rioting is not the answer. It would do nothing but give an excuse for tough crackdowns. And you would lose support for your cause from the public.

And then what? He'll siphon more money from the country into keeping his businesses afloat

What are you even talking about? No customers=no business=Mick Wallace losing a sh1t load of money. What's your great suggestion? Whinge on a message board? That'll really change things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

"He would need to serve as a backbencher for 87 years to earn enough money for this."

I suppose people will use this to justify re-electing him. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

No customers=no business=Mick Wallace losing a sh1t load of money.

That's an awful simplistic way of looking at it. Besides, I'm not exactly his target clientele, and those who are are probably up to the same or worse so will have no moral qualms about going to his places.
    What's your great suggestion?

Public hanging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Rioting never helps i personally think that it was BECAUSE this country came to independance through violence rather than due process and lawful democracy that we have such issues enforcing the law on politics.

The expansion of power down from the wealthy is a threat to social mobility and rule of law.

But rioting is not the answer. It would do nothing but give an excuse for tough crackdowns. And you would lose support for your cause from the public.

Sometimes rioting is the answer. Sometimes, you have to smash things up to get those in power to pay attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

What would happen if nobody voted on election day?

• Advertisement

What would happen if nobody voted on election day?

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ferike1 wrote: »

Off course he is....

A sat nav could help with that problem Yoda.

That's an awful simplistic way of looking at it. Besides, I'm not exactly his target clientele, and those who are are probably up to the same or worse so will have no moral qualms about going to his places.

Sorry; I began to write out a reply then realised there's no point even discussing it with you. The Mick Wallaces exist in Ireland because of simpletons like you. Good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Sorry; I began to write out a reply then realised there's no point even discussing it with you. The Mick Wallaces exist in Ireland because of simpletons like you. Good day.

Wonder what best friend, and great white hope of the working classes, Vinnie Browne will make of this:cool: VB, has such a soft spot for MW:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's a poor poll. Why can't one be appalled and see it coming a mile away?

The poll was added more for bitter humour than anything.

This is about as bad as when callaley got damages awarded for that expenses farce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

We're being taking for a ride all day everyday. Sadly nothing will be done about it. Personally I think some of these politicians should be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

After you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Says it all....

.., to add a little more, when we had a referendum last year that would have allowed for the establishment of procedures that would have served to investigate and prosecute those accused of financial malfeasance, the great Irish people voted against it. And then Paddy wonders why there's a lack of accountability. You voted for it Paddy. You voted for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

So, he makes a mistake in his taxes to the degree that he rakes up a 1.2million tax bill and he's allowed off scott free.

If you or I was to make a mistake, no matter what the sum is, you'll be paying it off with interest and penalties.

Garlic man gets 6 years in prison.

This is discrimination pure and simple.

Mick wallace is part of a team of high kings in this country. Untouchable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

coolbeans wrote: »
    . the establishment of procedures that would have served to investigate and prosecute those accused of financial malfeasance, the great Irish people voted against it.

The procedures you're talking about was the Dail and it's off shoots investigating themselves. Or setting up show trials to keep the public in happy ignorance.

The DPP and the Revenue Commissioners should bring Wallace to task. Unfortunately a lot of what should be independent offices and authorities in this country are directly or indirectly controlled by the dail/govt/fianna whatever/wallace...

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    .., to add a little more, when we had a referendum last year that would have allowed for the establishment of procedures that would have served to investigate and prosecute those accused of financial malfeasance, the great Irish people voted against it. And then Paddy wonders why there's a lack of accountability. You voted for it Paddy. You voted for it.

That referendum was worded to suit themselves in the higher establishment. It was worded that anyone of public interest could be investigated. That could have meant a shop owner serving the public. Referendum was something I agreed with but the wording of it was bollixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It's a poor poll. Why can't one be appalled and see it coming a mile away?

Recession, gotta make cutbacks somewhere.
    The procedures you're talking about was the Dail and it's off shoots investigating themselves. Or setting up show trials to keep the public in happy ignorance.

The DPP and the Revenue Commissioners should bring Wallace to task. Unfortunately a lot of what should be independent offices and authorities in this country are directly or indirectly controlled by the dail/govt/fianna whatever/wallace...

Prety much, if Wallace was done then there would be calls for other members of the Daíl to be investigated too. He may now have zero support (since everyone has distanced themselves from him) but the govt wont hold him to task in the fear they would be next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

The thing is, with wallace and the like, that they know people in high places and they might have a few little 'secrets' these folk mightn't like to get out.

Just as well he wasn't caught importing garlic and calling it something else on the invoice though....

Could a case be brought to the European court of justice or human rights for discrimination or something?

This news and thread shows and reenforces that Irish politicians can do whatever it is that they so wish to do, and scam whatever system and be questionable to no-one. The law does not apply to them.

FF were voted out. FG and Labour were voted in for change but they are all the same. They are all out for one another and serving themselves.

To the people that voted for Mick Wallace: ye should be ashamed of yourselves knowing his history. Honestly, how will this country change for the better if people continue to vote like this? I mean voting for someone to have a seat in the Dail to serve the country, without taking into consideration their past/history/selfishness/greed/a type of badness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

Just wondering

When is the next scheduled election due, barring any collapse of the government?

Just wondering when we next have a chance to vote that shower out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I'm dodging my mortgage payment on Friday so that I can pay my daughters school book bill. In the long term, if I don't pay it back, I could lose my house. But a politician owes 1.4 mill and gets off scott free.

Thank you, representatives of the people, thank you very much.

Unfortunatly due to the fact its a company and limited liability yes he will but this would be the same for ant company if they owed money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭biddybops

ferike1 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mick-wallace-off-the-hook-after-14m-tax-dodge-3210463.html

Of course he is....

A) I am not surprised because this happens a lot here
    B) He will probably be re-elected too...

:(

Note to op.
    Eire has been officially been declared a Banama republic.
    Please note no fada is required over Eire anymore as we are now truly BEHOLDEN.
    (mostly to the banks)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What you mean by riot if you mean burning stuff and ransacking what good will that do.

We need a sustained protest however we have 2 problems

1. Getting people out
    2. This is the most important 1 is who will organise and lead it because
    A. If it is a certain party you can kiss the vast majority out because they as they will rightly say they are all the same or
    B. Union type you can kiss the vast majority as they will rightly say they have there own agenda.

So solve No. 2 and No. 1 should follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Sappa wrote: »
    he gets elected by the gullible folk in his constituency
    their not gullible folk at all, they voted for him as he was probably the best of a bad bunch.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Tell all your friends and anyone you know the same thing. In work I get asked every day to recommend places to eat, some people asking specifically about places he owns. From now on it'll be a strong "AVOID AT ALL COSTS." That's just me, one person, costing him a couple of grand's worth of businees in the course of a year. With a good old-fashioned people power boycott we can bust the thieving cúnt. Full list of establishments here:

http://www.wallacewinebars.ie/

Excellent idea, I doff my hat to you.

Shall aviod like the plague;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement