Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice Maker/Expert drinker :)

Options
  • 27-08-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all
    Has anyone made Wheat beer?
    I've a sweet tooth and some of the wheat beers appeal to my palate

I was thinking about making a 20 bottle batch to start off.
    I made homemade wine before, but it tasted dreadful :eek:

Any tips on keeping taste mature but sweet?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd suggest making a wheat beer kit, seeing how it turns out and fine-tuning the next batch. You can always add fruit juice at serving time if you find the first batch isn't sweet enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Cant say any are participially generally sweet to me

But a good wheat malt extract dry or liquid, T-58/Brewferm yeast will give a good approximation of a Belgian wit,

You can also steep some coriander (crushed seeds) and some Orange rind in vodka for a few days to extract the goodness and add it to the fermenting beer

For a more of a German hefe you could try Danstar Munich wheat yeast or Fermentis Safbrew WB-06

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Lullymore24

oblivious wrote: »
    Cant say any are participially generally sweet to me

But a good wheat malt extract dry or liquid, T-58/Brewferm yeast will give a good approximation of a Belgian wit,

You can also steep some coriander (crushed seeds) and some Orange rind in vodka for a few days to extract the goodness and add it to the fermenting beer

For a more of a German hefe you could try Danstar Munich wheat yeast or Fermentis Safbrew WB-06

All the best

Cheers Bud, Sounds tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

I'm currently brewing a Wit. It is my first partial mash so I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out. I used crushed coriander (it smelled unreal!) and orange peel. I think I may have overdone it with the orange but I also have a sweet tooth and I like a beer with a bit of a kick. If I do end up using too much, I'll just go easy on it the next time. Trial and error.

Got to agree with BeerNut, give a Wheat Beer kit a try. The Coopers kits are popular. If you want to give it a bit of an edge you should check out dry hopping. Although I'm guessing you don't want hoppy notes.

Also, on yeast suggestions, I'd like to throw Safale US-05 into the mix. If you're after the citrusy taste from the coriander and orange then the US-05 is a nice neutral yeast that won't over power. It also fermented pretty quick!

scrapsmac wrote: »
    I'm currently brewing a Wit. It is my first partial mash so I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out. I used crushed coriander (it smelled unreal!) and orange peel. I think I may have overdone it with the orange but I also have a sweet tooth and I like a beer with a bit of a kick. If I do end up using too much, I'll just go easy on it the next time. Trial and error.

Got to agree with BeerNut, give a Wheat Beer kit a try. The Coopers kits are popular. If you want to give it a bit of an edge you should check out dry hopping. Although I'm guessing you don't want hoppy notes.

Also, on yeast suggestions, I'd like to throw Safale US-05 into the mix. If you're after the citrusy taste from the coriander and orange then the US-05 is a nice neutral yeast that won't over power. It also fermented pretty quick!

I would like to buy a kit, my Grandfather used to make beer, but I remember he had trouble with bottles popping.

I was thinking if I used Grolsch bottles I would get a good seal; but i understand some venting may be necessary.
    Any more tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by venting? As in not sealing the bottles fully when you're bottling incase they pop open or blow up?

This has never happened to me anyway. I was under the impression that once your beer has fermented and you are getting consistent gravity readings around your final gravity then you are good to bottle, carb and seal it up. Readings can vary depending on the brew, temperature, conditions etc but generally anything near 1.01 or so and I've been fine.

Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable folk around the forum can advise here?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I remember he had trouble with bottles popping.
    He was bad at brewing. Do it properly, and under control, and this won't happen.

BeerNut wrote: »
    He was bad at brewing. Do it properly, and under control, and this won't happen.

He only did it after he retired and had time on his hands, and I was only a kid so i can barely remember It was a long time ago.

Is there any Beer Brewing kits that are better than others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

know of a great tea maker..i'll pm you her number :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement