Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted theft!

• 27-08-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Just a heads up to be very careful with your dogs

Somene tried to take my to Cockers out of the pen at the back of my house during the week at 1.30 Am.

Thankfully they didn't succeed as One of them is as contrary as a bag of weasels.

Hopefully he took a lump out of him!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Chap I shoot with the odd time had his 2 springer lifted last week. And another chap in the club got a call for some pups hes selling, whoever he was he was very insistent to get my mates address and meet up at the house and refused to meet him at the local GAA pitch- was very suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Mike87 wrote: »
    Chap I shoot with the odd time had his 2 springer lifted last week. And another chap in the club got a call for some pups hes selling, whoever he was he was very insistent to get my mates address and meet up at the house and refused to meet him at the local GAA pitch- was very suspicious.
    thats a two way thing though , some people want to confirm the pups arent coming from a puppy farm type situation so will try and insist on meeting at the house etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

thats a two way thing though , some people want to confirm the pups arent coming from a puppy farm type situation so will try and insist on meeting at the house etc.

Thats a good point Outkast. But Im only just telling you what I was told myself and thats that the chap who called was sounding very suspicious and in the end he refused to meet up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Mike87 wrote: »
    Thats a good point Outkast. But Im only just telling you what I was told myself and thats that the chap who called was sounding very suspicious and in the end he refused to meet up at all.
    No doubt , i used to keep parrots etc, and would he very hesitant of selling from the home as a few people i know got targeted and had all their birds robbed shortly after meeeting someone at home to sell a bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

No matter how nice they sound on the phone you should never meet them at your house if you dont recognise them.
    You should meet them somewhere fairly like a petrol station and if you feel like you can trust them then you can bring them to the house. You can tell a lot by the look of someone or how they are acting in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

A handy place to do deals like that is somewhere very public and not too far from the local cop shop. If myself or any of the local lads are selling we usually do the deal at such a place,with a couple of our shooting buddies with us for "company",and also they can back you up as to how genuine your dog is.
    Just my 2c.
    Good luck
    LR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Around this time every year dogs are getting stolen left right and centre with the seasons coming up. I remember a few threads going up last year with dogs been taken.

Be very weary of who you bring around your house.

Throw a combo lock on the gate of the run.
    Had to do it to a pigeon loft of all things a couple years ago :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

theres a few gangs of scum moveing about knocking on doors and trying their luck with some sucess.Ive had 2 occasions where they called to the door and 4 attempts at climbing in over the garden wall.the son chased them off twice and the german shepherd stoped them the other times,theyve been very sucessfull last year in cork city/county taken over 60 lurchers and terriers from lads yards.They have been known to cut locks and use a sledge to knock a wall to gain entry,they even ripped a roof off of some kennells and took the dogs from above.its awell know fact whos involved and where some of the dogs have gone but the police dont want to know and there seems to be no way of getingg the dogs back once taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Is there such things as GPS chips for dogs/animals?

I know some people get there dogs micro chipped but if I bought a dog off someone I probably wouldn't think to get them scanned to see if they are micro chipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

No but you can get gps collars.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Throw a combo lock on the gate of the run.
    Had to do it to a pigeon loft of all things a couple years ago :mad:

I would'nt use a combo lock they can be shimmed, bypassed and there are sevral ways to work out the combo. Not all methods will work on all locks but at least one will. I would buy a high security lock things to look for is a protected shackle, bump resistant or proof if you get a lever lock.
    Like this one, they are expensive but worth it and will last a life time. You would be amazed at the truely false scence of security people have with locks.
    122_8.jpg
    And that is a great price for this lock i have seen them being sold for more than twice that much.
    http://www.applegate.co.uk/listings/stock/safelocks/ingersoll-cs700-extra-close/CS700-1036425.html

juice1304 wrote: »
    I would'nt use a combo lock they can be shimmed, bypassed and there are sevral ways to work out the combo.

Reasoning behind it is that I always lose the key somewhere :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056739046

Please see above thread if anyone knows of one missing. I have PM'd Mike above whose friends springers were stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Masterlock gives guarantees on some of its locks of up to a few grand if locks are busted...

Speaking for myself I wouldn't buy a dog off someone in a GAA Club or petrol station but would go threw a process of meeting in public places first to put the seller at ease but would still want to see where the dog was kept and also so I'd have come back if the dog turned out not to be as advertised.

It's a sad old world we live in unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Locks are all well & good & help stop against oppurtunists but give a lad a bolts cutters & I've yet to see an unbreakable fence beside the gate.
    Your just dealing with scum bags that should have their legs broken if caught!

The punishment should reflect the crime & to someone into their dogs it's like kidnapping a family member!

I think you'd loose interest in the sport if you were cleans out!
    A GPS chip would be a serious invention!!

Open season for any c*@t that strays into my yard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭J.R.

Unfortunately in today's world one has constantly to be vigilant & think like these thieves think.........and then counteract what they would do / be watching for.

I'm still amazed at the number of houses you see when driving through villages & pretty remote areas that have a gun dog in a pen visible from the road and a stuffed cock pheasant in the window - dead give-away that there are guns in the house, more than likely.

I think if anybody has a dog run that could be seen from the road then it should be hidden from view discreetly with some hedging shrubs etc. security lighting etc. / cctv stickers etc. won't stop them but may help deter them and unfortunately only help to move them on to some other unfortunate victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

god bless any man i find in my yard , my uncle was plagued by travellers robbing his dogs i know they are not the only ones who take dogs and ive nothing against them but in this case they were, eventually he put senser lights in but had the sensers outside and the lights inside the house so when the senser was tripped the house lit up and either woke him or scared the scum away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

snipe02 wrote: »
    , eventually he put senser lights in but had the sensers outside and the lights inside the house so when the senser was tripped the house lit up and either woke him or scared the scum away

This is absolute genius as a deterrent to house robberies. soon as they walk up and the inside light comes on they'd be gone in a shot.

garv123 wrote: »
    This is absolute genius as a deterrent to house robberies. soon as they walk up and the inside light comes on they'd be gone in a shot.

Not now that it's up here for anyone to see :p Unfortunately they can be wide to this also, they stake out the place and test what security is there. It's sad how we have to live these days, not even your guard dog is safe :eek:

Even if you've CCTV they'll smash it with a bate thrower or gatt as the kids used to call them, even cut phone lines from the telegraph poles and return the fallowing night. At least now it's legal for you to shoot them :rolleyes: not that I condone this in any way!!! :p

But I agree it is a genius idea for a deterrent, what would work even better would be a speaker outside too to go off with a delay of 15 seconds or so with the owners voice shouting the guards are on route OR the cocking of a pump-action 12 gauge!!!

• Advertisement

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    Not now that it's up here for anyone to see :p Unfortunately they can be wide to this also, they stake out the place and test what security is there. It's sad how we have to live these days, not even your guard dog is safe :eek:

Even if you've CCTV they'll smash it with a bate thrower or gatt as the kids used to call them, even cut phone lines from the telegraph poles and return the fallowing night. At least now it's legal for you to shoot them :rolleyes: not that I condone this in any way!!! :p

But I agree it is a genius idea for a deterrent, what would work even better would be a speaker outside too to go off with a delay of 15 seconds or so with the owners voice shouting the guards are on route OR the cocking of a pump-action 12 gauge!!!

We'll all be like Home Alone 2 next... (think.....)

Internal lights to external sensor very clever though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Shame these hunting dogs are a bit overkill for pheasant.

These are a mite harder to steal.

Alpataco_08_11_01_00002.jpg

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Shame these hunting dogs are a bit overkill for pheasant.

These are a mite harder to steal.

Alpataco_08_11_01_00002.jpg

Actually Pitbulls & Staffordshire Bullterriers are way up there on the top of the list of stolen dogs!

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    Actually Pitbulls & Staffordshire Bullterriers are way up there on the top of the list of stolen dogs!

Very true but they'd earn it with a Dogo Argentino!
    Especially if you'd a pair waiting for them!

Advertisement