Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity collectors invading your space

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with the guys who come out on a Sunday morning and collect for the "lung foundation"? I work at that time and have seen them intimidating tourists into handing over money. They get really in your face and basically won't leave until you give them something. Is panhandling a crime in Ireland?

We now use the term "Irish Thug Foundation" as a catch-all phrase for most of the collectors you're discussing - the Lung Foundation is just one of the brands they use.

The cardinal rule is to never, ever, make eye contact. Just look at the ground, the buildings, whatever - but never them.

The other week I had a friend from home visiting me. As we walked up the street, she wanted to give them money, because she "doesn't like to pass anyone needy by". I tried to tell her about them, but I don't think she got it. Based on that, I'd say that at least some naive tourists really do hand over their dosh willingly.

I'd suspect that if they cross a certain line, the guards will remove their licenses and get the off the streets. But the thing is, how do you think they'd be raising money if they weren't doing it so obviously ... sometimes the devil you can see is better than the one you can't. It's not like these are lads who would be offered regular jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Quiet simple- say it to the staff that you don't like it and you won't drink there again unless they make it known to beggers/chuggers not to annoy them.

Advertisement