Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PQE 300 hours evidence format ?

• 27-08-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have now registered with The Teaching Council and note that I have to clock up 300 hours teaching experience in order to ditch my n00b status !! :-)
    It don't say anywhere what format does the proof take ? When I have 300 hours clocked up I fill out Form B and submit with the evidence of my 300 hours. How do I show that I did the 300 hours?
    I really just need to know what format it takes so that I can get it right at the start! I have already 70 odd hours since mid-year to early summer, I became registered shortly after this. So would I still be able to count those 70 hours?
    Any help would be great.
    Many thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

The principals in the schools where you have accumulated the 300 hours have to complete the form.

I got a letter from the dept confirming I had worked over 300 hours and the TC wouldn't accept it...... (typical)

It has to be signed by the principals - even though there could be several if you've worked in different schools

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Also what about these induction meetings? How do we prove we've gone to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

dory wrote: »

On a lot of inservices now you get some sort of cert at the end of the session to say you have attended. Mainly for the school to be able to recoup and justify the cost of getting your classes covered for the day. I'd imagine there's something similar for induction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

dory wrote: »

Is the nipt mandatory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

Yep mandatory as of this year....I think we have 3 years to do them though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

so the 300 hours can be done in a few schools? not just over one period e.g. covering maternity leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

so the 300 hours can be done in a few schools? not just over one period e.g. covering maternity leave?

As many schools as it takes but you have to fill up a different form for every period of employment and keep them all until you have the full 300 hours completed.

Im going into my third year this year and I only have 150 hours experience so far. It was kind of my own fault for taking a PLC job out of college and of course that didnt count as it was adult education. Still great experience. Was wondering if anyone here has experienced asking the TC for an extension? Really starting to get worried about my prospects....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Isn't there a time limit to clock up the 300 hours? What happans if you don't get them done in the assigned period?

TheBody wrote: »
    Isn't there a time limit to clock up the 300 hours? What happans if you don't get them done in the assigned period?

Unless you get an extension, you start from scratch and have to reapply to the teaching council, have transcripts assessed again and get the garda vetting done again. Thats what I've heard anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Unless you get an extension, you start from scratch and have to reapply to the teaching council, have transcripts assessed again and get the garda vetting done again. Thats what I've heard anyway...

Good God!! I think I can hear the teaching council laughing at every teacher in the country. The nonsense they put teachers through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I am presuming that the 300 hours must be teaching rather than substitute work where you supervise the class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

As many schools as it takes but you have to fill up a different form for every period of employment and keep them all until you have the full 300 hours completed.

Im going into my third year this year and I only have 150 hours experience so far. It was kind of my own fault for taking a PLC job out of college and of course that didnt count as it was adult education. Still great experience. Was wondering if anyone here has experienced asking the TC for an extension? Really starting to get worried about my prospects....

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can start cracking on it soon!

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I am presuming that the 300 hours must be teaching rather than substitute work where you supervise the class?

Nope, any hours worked in a secondary school will do. Doesnt matter if theyre your own hours or if your just subbing for the day!! As long as the principal signs off on them theyre alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Nope, any hours worked in a secondary school will do. Doesnt matter if theyre your own hours or if your just subbing for the day!! As long as the principal signs off on them theyre alright.

There are some restrictions though so make sure you know for sure. For example, only classes that have over a certain amount of pupils can be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Thanks for all the input. It seems you just fill out a Form B for each term and add them up!
    @chippers, on the Teaching Council web site it does mention a minimum class size of 14. On Form B there is no mention of this ?
    Not all classes I thought had 14 in them, and a lot of my teaching would be in small classes. Perhaps some mannequins would work !:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input. It seems you just fill out a Form B for each term and add them up!
    @chippers, on the Teaching Council web site it does mention a minimum class size of 14. On Form B there is no mention of this ?
    Not all classes I thought had 14 in them, and a lot of my teaching would be in small classes. Perhaps some mannequins would work !:-)

You don't need to say how many students you had in each class - I got mine signed and sent it off and my registration was changed!

The Form B I used in 2010 asked for the average number of students in class for each subject you taught.... However the Form B I downloaded last May has changed and you are no longer required to give any indication of the number of students you teach in each lesson. They just want to know if it was mainstream or learning support classes.

Seems like the TC are going a bit soft...

The Form B I used in 2010 asked for the average number of students in class for each subject you taught.... However the Form B I downloaded last May has changed and you are no longer required to give any indication of the number of students you teach in each lesson. They just want to know if it was mainstream or learning support classes.

Seems like the TC are going a bit soft...

I wouldn't go that far aunt aggie!! I'm surprised there isn't another charge for changing your details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Thanks for the clarification guys. I think I'll print off a stock of Form B's before they change them again :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

Does it have to be a public school? I have a job in a private school... do those hours count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

kermitpwee wrote: »

As far as I remember 200 hours must be in your 'registered' subjects, and 100 can be in learning or language support. Again it doesn't matter if these are subbing or your own hours just your subjects.

jsmscork wrote: »
    Does it have to be a public school? I have a job in a private school... do those hours count?

I don't think it matters - its post qualification employment i.e. you are employed. As long as the prinicpal signs it there shouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement