Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island: Riptide

• 27-08-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else psyched for this?!! It has it's debut trailer at PAX Seattle this weekend. Everyone knows about the brilliant original Dead Island trailer but then people were upset the game lacked the emotion of the trailer. Dead Island was one of my favourite games of last year and can't wait for this one!

Devs said it will be 50$ retail which is cheaper than normal but they said thats just because the consoles are almost end of cycle. They said this is not just an add on, it is a full game and they don't plan on putting a number at the end of the title when they release a new one.

The main hope is that the devs have been listening to peoples complaints and will hopefully put more emotion into this one and hire better voice actors :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I wasn't disappointed with the original because of it's lack of emotion. I was disappointed with it's lack of everything. I just found it a very un-entertaining game. I'll keep an eye out for the new one's trailer though. Not gonna knock it till I try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So Riptide is not a direct sequel, more like Assassisns Creed Brotherhood. Has the same 4 characters and you can continue on your characters stats from the last game. Will have new features like building barricades and an improved engine to run it.

There is a new fifth character also. The trailer is crap, not even worth posting. A black screen with some static and chatter. It will be released in 2013.

dead-island-riptide-pax-01.jpg

deadislandriptidepax_610.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'll be picking it up for sure , really enjoyed the first game.

The debut trailer, not a patch on the first but it's still nice and is still a day one purchase for me.

• Advertisement

I don't get why they're producing these emotionally heavy trailers when the original was anything but and this will likely be too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't get why they're producing these emotionally heavy trailers when the original was anything but and this will likely be too.

I'd guess the first trailer went pretty viral because of it's emotion and that awareness raised for the game converted to potential sales if the game wasn't slated by reviews even if it turned out very different in gameplay. I bought it and I knew I wasn't getting an emotional deep story but rather a light action game but I probably wouldn't have heard of it if it wasn't for THAT trailer as I'm not a big gamer these days so I guess that might be why they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

To be honest if it turns out to be more of the same I'll happily play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ditto with Calex, the first one was a brilliant game imo, there was just something about it that had me hooked. Will pick it up again sometime and play thorugh as a different character.

Will definitely be picking this one up too. Thank god it's a 2013 release though, too many games coming out before then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm still playing through the first one. Hadn't played it in a few weeks and stuck it on last night. It's a horrible game to get used to playing again. Everything just feels sluggish and non responsive and while thats the intention it's really jarring for the first 15 mins of playing again.

I loved the first area around the resort. City of Moresby was ok but not as interesting and now I'm in the jungle and it's feeling dull and linear at this stage. Looking at my play stats i've got 24 hours on one character and 6.5 on another so I've put my time in but still feel it's a mediocre game even in co-op with 3 friends who play games together every week.

I'm going to finish the game and may even 1K it at this stage but a it's a disappointing game for me all in all and I don't think I'd be revisiting it without some overhauls

• Advertisement

New preview from CVG.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/381129/previews/dead-island-riptide-preview-horde-mode-leads-a-raft-of-new-tweaks/

Sounding great and will be a day one purchase from me. Only problem I see is that it is set to be released in April and I'd say GTA V will be April as well. Tough competition to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lemongrab

I haven't played the first one for quite some time, but I remember not being blown away by the game. I enjoyed it enough but I'm not sure if it's enough for me to pick up this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wasn't blown away by the first one but the improvements make it sound interesting enough to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Bought the first one for €7. Have been playing it on and off for the last 5 months. Only on the 2nd Act. After the first few initial fights its pretty repetitive. Like the CoD of zombie games IMO.

Probably will give this a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Day 1 purchase for me. First one was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Will give this a go but I didn't find the first game to be that great myself, found it to be very repetitive especially when it got to the sewer parts.

Potential is there for a great game, hopefully they will have ironed out the problems of the 1st.

10 minutes of gameplay footage. Loved the 1st game so will definitely get this but I hope there isn't a huge focus on just getting supplies to defend a base and then enter horde mode. I want a more story orientated game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If it isn't as bug ridden as the first I'll give it a go at some stage.

I'm only playing through the GOTY version now and the amount of times it has frozen or disconnected me has been phenomenal.

Also, they could learn a few things from Borderlands, not only a fluid online experience but also saving all quest data so you don't have to re do it.

Anyway when it works it's good but when it doesn't it's absolutely terrible.

I must have been very lucky with the 1st, came across very very few bugs or glitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I must have been very lucky with the 1st, came across very very few bugs or glitches.

To be fair the others I play with seem to be alright, they have had a few freezes but the amount I have is crazy. Now I do realise my internet connection must be playing some part in this but I don't have any issues with any other game. Sure I might get lag here and there but never constant freezing where i can only hard set the ps3.

An an example, we were playing for about 3 hours last night. I froze or disconnected at least 10 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I suspect Dead Island was the kind of game that the PS3 wouldn't like very much. Are the people who found it glitchy PS3 owners?

I absolutely loved the original, I will pick this one up when it's been second hand for a while.

I suspect Dead Island was the kind of game that the PS3 wouldn't like very much. Are the people who found it glitchy PS3 owners?

I absolutely loved the original, I will pick this one up when it's been second hand for a while.

I had it on PS3 and it was fine. Maybe it was mostly the online that was glitchy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

The steelbook special edition for xbox can be preordered on amazon for £25. Odd that its already going for that cheap, and not out for months.

The GOTY edition of Dead Island 1 is 10 euro on PSN for the next week or 8.99 with PS+. I picked it up as I wouldn't mind playing the Ryder White DLC, even tho I heard it's a bit crap.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/dead-island-game-of-the-year-edition-bundle/cid=EP4062-NPEB00721_00-PDEADISLAN000002

New preview here showing new gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Played great on the ps3, apart from the co-op freezing/locking the console which seemed to be a major problem on all platforms(consoles at least) according to their forums.

I had more fun playing solo though, the beach resort was great fun. after that it went down hill in terms of level design, like it was rushed or something but they spent loads of time on the resort area you start in. The city area looked aesthetically crap, and every street was copy/paste, same with the small amount of interiors were copy/paste in the city, shops and that. Then you go to different jungle areas that were meh.... still played through it 3 times though, twice solo and once co-op... one of the best zombie games iv ever played.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks very interesting,never got the 1st game though,don't think I'd bother with it now either.

still played through it 3 times though, twice solo and once co-op... one of the best zombie games iv ever played.

On your sencond solo playthrough, did you pick a new character or go new game+ with your last one? Just wondering If I should pick someone new or get Sam B up to crazy stats in new game+ before Riptide is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    On your sencond solo playthrough, did you pick a new character or go new game+ with your last one? Just wondering If I should pick someone new or get Sam B up to crazy stats in new game+ before Riptide is released.

game+, with samB too. then i played through with one of the chicks, the one whos special is sharp objects..
    Its cool playing game + because the enemies stay at your level when you restart(im pretty sure), so its not ridiculously easy and you can continue to level your character.
    idk though if you should pick a new, or just continue with game+. tbh i dont think it really makes much difference to the gameplay, its fun either way, its the weapon customization and zombie killing that done it for me.
    If you havnt yet, you should check out some youtube vids to find the hidden skulls for new special weapon mods.

Yeah I only found one rare skull on my 1st playthrough, would look out for the rest of them on my second.

• Advertisement

'They Thought Wrong gameplay trailer released

Advertisement