Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island: Riptide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

sheehy83 wrote: »
    'They Thought Wrong gameplay trailer released

Looks more or less the same as the first game, not much improvement graphics wise either. Still will be fun but think I'll wait till it drops in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is up on Gamesnash.ie for preorder now. €41.99 and 2 euro for delivery I think?

http://gamesnash.ie/ps3-all-new-games-c-58_28/dead-island-riptide-ps3-pre-order-p-2756.html

I'm in the middle of moving house so won't be buying this for a few weeks but mad to give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Playing Dead Island there for a bit. Seemed alright although I picked a character who shouted stuff like "WHAT'S GOING ON HERE" in an aussie accent after every second kill... It was enough to make me stop playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I should have loved Dead Island game, as i'm a big fan of pretty much everything zombies, but i just couldn't get into it. I know a lot of people say co-op improves the game, but i got really bored of the single player, and (as above) the stupid comments from the main characters. Probably won't bother with this one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Yeah, me and 3 friends played through the first on co-op. Was great fun, but I don't think I'd bother with Riptide were it not for the co-op again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Really excited for this, torn between getting it on xbox or PC :confused: 45 euro on xbox for a new release is good, considering some new releases do be near 60 euro :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Really excited for this, torn between getting it on xbox or PC :confused: 45 euro on xbox for a new release is good, considering some new releases do be near 60 euro :p

gamesnash.ie are selling it for €39.99 not including 2 euro for delivery. for xbox and ps3

Im really surprised how cheap this game is haha, got the first one for pc last year for 4 euro which I thought was a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Im really surprised how cheap this game is haha, got the first one for pc last year for 4 euro which I thought was a bargain.

"Cheap" is the word, read the reviews for riptide 2/5 in most places, reading about bugs and glitches has me regretting my pre-order some what.

That said folks that buy into deepsilver games know to expect bugs and glitches, i have memories of opening a the map on a certain part of Risen 2 and it crashing the game and having to run the section blind :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I enjoyed what I played of the first one but I still have to complete it and the dlc so no rush in getting this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

calex71 wrote: »
    "Cheap" is the word, read the reviews for riptide 2/5 in most places, reading about bugs and glitches has me regretting my pre-order some what.

That said folks that buy into deepsilver games know to expect bugs and glitches, i have memories of opening a the map on a certain part of Risen 2 and it crashing the game and having to run the section blind :mad:

While I haven't played it yet, the original game also got some criminally bad reviews that I can only believe were lazy reviewers who, on time constraints or whatever, played about 30 minutes and then scribbled down a review. The first review I read of Dead Island described it as a broken mess of a game and awarded it 3/10; I almost didn't buy it but when I subsequently did, I put about 80 hours it and although it wasn't without serious flaws it was a solid and original experience that offered me more than the vast majority of others games. To this day I still fail to understand the critical backlash against Dead Island.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

While I haven't played it yet, the original game also got some criminally bad reviews that I can only believe were lazy reviewers who, on time constraints or whatever, played about 30 minutes and then scribbled down a review. The first review I read of Dead Island described it as a broken mess of a game and awarded it 3/10; I almost didn't buy it but when I subsequently did, I put about 80 hours it and although it wasn't without serious flaws it was a solid and original experience that offered me more than the vast majority of others games. To this day I still fail to understand the critical backlash against Dead Island.

That was the concensus that I recall from the original release too, poor reviews, yet the actual players enjoyed it, including myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I have to agree with all of this.

I picked it up cheap, and was pretty sceptical about it, given the mauling it got, but I absolutely loved it. The fighting felt meaty and solid, the story progression and quests had real logic to them, and the tone change from the beach to the jungle to the city was really striking and very well implemented. The locations are believable and cleverly laid out, with a decent amount of detail and surprisingly little sense of visual repetition.

I found it hugely rewarding, honestly. I don't think I encountered a single serious glitch, or if I did it's not what I remembered about it. I didn't just enjoy it because it was a zombie game or because it was unique, but because it was hugely enjoyable in its own terms.

I agree, I will never understand why it was savaged so badly. I had a ball.

AH all valid points and I agree totally and no doubt I will enjoy it as much as the first game but to put out a squeal with a similar level of flaws I may or may not over look is just a tad insulting it's like they learned nothing from the first game, and as I said it's expected from deepsilver by now, they really should tighten up their game as if someone says deepsilver to me i will immediately think great games inspite of the bugs, bit more care in QA and testing is not too much to ask, nearly every one of their games I've played had a bug at launch which really could/should not have been missed in testing.

/end rant .... roll on friday :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Anyone have any good places to buy this for a decent price?

PC btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Agree with all........................ poor reviews for the the first title however what a blast................................going to buy it today, fingers crossed ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Its getting bad enough scores in all the reviews from reputable sources. Cant say im surprised tbh, it will be in bargain bins in a month or two like the first one.

Had a quick 5 min play this morning and it's exactly the same as the previous game from what I can see. So that's good and Bad I guess :)

the rain is crazy it comes on and off like a switch one second bright sunshine next it's dark and raining then sunny again all in 100 meters :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

calex71 wrote: »
    the rain is crazy it comes on and off like a switch one second bright sunshine next it's dark and raining then sunny again all in 100 meters :D

In game or Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Nolars wrote: »
    Anyone have any good places to buy this for a decent price?

PC btw

http://www.g2play.net/store/Dead-Island-Riptide-Steam-Key.html

22euro, cant go wrong..
    wouldnt mind, i picked it up last night on g2play for 24e, now its 22e, $&%!

Absolute cracking price, will be picking that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

went into xtravision to rent apparently they dont have this game to rent FFS
    no way id pay full whack for this game.

On the playstation store the size listed of the game to download is like 3gb thats tiny and with reviews suggesting the bugs and such from the 1st DI are not even ironed out why should we pay full wack when they couldt even be bothered to smooth out the rough edges from the first game.

Ill get it when I see it for 15 or 20 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

keeps crashing after an hour on the ps3. still has the weapon duplicationcheat thpugh so that negates my first complaint.

What do people think of this on PC is it worth the 22 euro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Might pick it up when its cheaper. Held my resolve over the past couple of years and never bought the original, even when it was 6 quid.

One thing that puts me off is the crazy hud popups. Can you turn off all those XP popups etc that are constantly in your face?

Agricola wrote: »
    Might pick it up when its cheaper. Held my resolve over the past couple of years and never bought the original, even when it was 6 quid.

One thing that puts me off is the crazy hud popups. Can you turn off all those XP popups etc that are constantly in your face?

If thats whats putting you off then this / borderlands / any other game were dmg/xp per kill/ per shot / DoT / AoE is reported on screen is not for you :D

Seriously those numbers serve a purpose !!!!! and in this they are tame vs Borderlands 2 in ultra vault hunter mode for example where the whole screen will be filled by numbers of different colours depending on the the element doing damage.

Yeah really don't play this or borderlands or even any traditional rpg if those numbers on screen bother you lol

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Agricola wrote: »

ha!, same here, almost didnt buy the first because of them +xp points popping out of the zombies heads, along with the health bars. knock em both off in the options, more immersive.

Iv put 8 hours into it now, still in the first area on lvl 40, playing solo, finishing up afew side quests and afew places on the map to check out before i continue the main quest onto the next area.
    If you had fun in the first, then no doubt youll enjoy ripite. The map for the first area is pretty decent, lots to explore. you cant go more then 100 feet without seeing something worth checking out. The majority of the weapon mod blueprints iv got so far are from exploring the island.

Playing on pc maxed, with zero crashes and very few bugs. i went into this expecting an expansion, but it feels abit more in fairness, i wont know for sure how to rate it until iv finished it though, so far so good

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to try come co-op on PC let me know or jsut add me on steam.

Advertisement