Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Swell

Options
  • 27-08-2012 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

There's. 5 foot swell for Lahinch forecast on Magicseaweed.
    Is this good ?
    I'm new,so excuse me if I'm not up with all the lingo :)

I'm starting to get the hang of the bodyboarding,did a 360 Sat

I'm lucky I live 15 min from Lahinch :):):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

Any swell over 2 ft is good for a beginner. The period, measured in seconds, is as important though, the bigger the period the further apart the waves are and the more power and definition they will have. So 5 ft swell with a 3 second period will be rubbish but a 5 ft swell with a 15 second period will be epic.
    Do be careful though, if you got the swell forecast from MagicSeaWeed, you need to divide the number in two to get a realistic forecast. 5 ft on MSW is usually about 2 ft in reality.

http://surfforecasting.magicseaweed.com/?p=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Ended up in Spanishpoint,it was very messy sometimes there was 2 seconds between the waves,hopefully ill get a better swell soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

were you bodyboarding northclare?

seachto7 wrote: »
    were you bodyboarding northclare?

Fanore was good this eve
    I'm only learning but still not getting out to the big waves out back,I tried but am not fast enough to get into the same speed of the wave.
    And I get tossed all over the place lol
    Ill get out eventually and catch one

• Advertisement

Hey guys, I know MS is way off a lot of the time, but it seems to be good for a general idea. The had no stars up for today, but looking at the webcams, it seems really good. Pity I can't get down to Clare. Might head down tomorrow arvo..............
    Looking ok for a kook..............?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I know MS is way off a lot of the time, but it seems to be good for a general idea. The had no stars up for today, but looking at the webcams, it seems really good. Pity I can't get down to Clare. Might head down tomorrow arvo..............
    Looking ok for a kook..............?

4 stars for Lahinch today,I'm going to maybe head there later this eve,get a bit of Sponging in lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Clare was excellent today around midday, practically no wind with a nice period.

Tomorrow doesn't look so good, loads of onshore wind and a drop in period.

doh!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Friday is looking like a biggie!!

• Advertisement

Kinda need the winds to play ball

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

rodento wrote: »

Yea, it's not ideal but theres a spot or two that will be still good in a westerly, especially when the swell's that big.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    rodento wrote: »

Yea, it's not ideal but theres a spot or two that will be still good in a westerly, especially when the swell's that big.

Any north in the winds kills most of those spots

Does seem to have shifted a bit north alright. Fingers crossed that changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Finally the winds easing off from Friday right through to Monday :eek:

..... with a bit of swell its going to be happy days this weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Yeah it's looking good and...............

MAYO4SAM!

keryl wrote: »
    Yeah it's looking good and...............

MAYO4SAM!

If you had to choose between a good surf and the match what will you choose?!?! :eek:

Also, mayo4sam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

There was one wave in particular that I had tried to surf for many years. Always wanted it, never got it.

Anyway, this particular day was looking like it should be REALLY good for it, stayed in a mates the night before, up for painful o clock, standing there, looking at this wave, 5 in the morning and it was knee high. Quite disappointed.

Anyway, took notions, figured the swell must have tracked differently, bit the bullet, drove for another two hours, found a random spot thats normally never more then knee high, well over DOH, 3 sessions, with the swell dropping all day to the final one being waist high.

Started making the drive home, figuring I should just be albe to hit the town I was aiming for in time to watch Muster go onto what was to be their first Heineken cup victory.
    Now, I do like rugby, quite a bit. Iv played it, Iv played with a few of the lads on the munster team. I get quite animated when they play much to the amusement/fear of those who may be with me at the time. Iv been a fan since I was a child and I am getting old these days.

Anyway, as Im thinking about where to watch the match and the 1st pint of Guinness, I rounded a corner which would have put me on the other side of the bay to where I had been at 5am but unlike when I was there at 5 there was lines stacked as far as the eye could see. Pretty much at that moment I got a call off the man Id been there with that morning to say, its 4-6ft perfection, theres no one here. Whats your story.

I was told it was a great match.....

Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

great story. 61 years waiting and I've been to all the finals except 89 so it would be tough. The problem is if I was at that kind of a spot that was going off I probably would stay and always think, I remember that surf, break and day as epic....

MAYO4SAM!

• Advertisement

Wherever ye ended up on Sunday How was the swell for ye ?
    We were at Fanore yesterday afternoon..

There was a beautiful clean wave which was quite fast but not messy and easy to catch on a bodyboard.
    Not a messy wave in sight :)

going to head to Lahinch in an hour or so :)

Another big one on it's way next week...
    I'm out with a rotator cuff injury but might head down and watch them catching the waves...^^^^^^^

Advertisement