Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy breakfast bars?

Options
  • 27-08-2012 11:18am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there such thing? I’ve been eating a few of these recently and most of them are more sugar than anything good. Sometimes I do not want a big breakfast, or have time, so a breakfast bar with my tea at my desk in the morning will do – but I want to try to eat something vaguely healthy. What are the best ones? I’m sitting here eating the alpen ones which are 30% “Syrup” which to me means sugar. The belvita bars are supposed to be more good but they still taste very sweet to me. I do have a sweet tooth but sometimes I want something less sweet and more healthy - especially first thing in the morning

So are there any mores that are not disguised junk food?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

None of the ones you buy will be healthy. Weight for weight, a lot of them have more sugar than a Mars bar. But I'm sure if you search in the Nutrition & Diet or the Health & Fitness forums, you'll find a recipe for making your own ones that are healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

make your own flap jacks, they are easy to make, you will know exactly whats in them and you can add things to them if you like like seeds, nuts, dried fruit....

here is a recipe
    http://britishfood.about.com/od/eorecipes/r/flapjack.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

I made these last year and earlier this year.

You can vary the ingredients to suit your own taste.

Melt about 200 gr butter ( or coconut oil ) in frying pan, add desicated coconut, ground almonds, a little salt, cocoa and stir until mixed. Add good squeeze of honey and remove from heat when bubbling.

Pour onto cold plate, leave to cool and place in fridge. :)

Advertisement