Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with HTPC(maybe gamer) Build

Options
  • 27-08-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

one of the kind folks on the HTPC forum pointed me here, already picked up a few ideas but thought it best to post looking for some fresh advice.

If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget? €850

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? HTPC (Download; playback; Backing up DVDs or converting for apple devices; Gaming & Internet)
    > gaming - fan of games similar to Skyrim; Dark Souls but am really a console head so gaming is not that critical - maybe more emulation (still stuck in the bowls of Dungeon Master).

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes; thinking of Windows 7 (??)

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? wireless USB receiver; wired keyboard and mouse for setup

5. Do you need a monitor? No - will connect via HDMI to Samsung 1080p LED TV

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Yes Keyboard; Mouse ;Wireless Card; Remote (or android phone); BD player; external HDD (storage); Antenna in; Satellite in; (maybe composite out see below). Advanced remote might replace the wireless keyboard and mouse though once setup and running.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No; have a habit of bricking tech.

8. How can you pay? All methods available [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? 1 to 2 months, not always fast to make a decision when money is involved.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin/Wicklow, last built a desktop 10+yrs ago.

Other key points -
    a) noise to be kept to a minimum; OHs has ears of a bat.
    b) heat - will be in an IKEA cabinet so no free movement of air - I know conflicts with a above :(
    c) Considering wiring my satellite and antenna directly in to use it as a replacement to my Combo box.
    >> If this is the case will locate the unit in a separate cabinet and use a TV sender to the TVs around the house like I currently do with the combo box.
    d) Prefer the idea of an SSD for speed and noise; with maybe an external HDD for the main media library

Setups I had looked at
    ASROCK Vision; while I don't have a 3D display who knows.
    Also considered the A75M series MOBO as it appears to be highly recommended but don't know enough about motherboards to really make a wise choice here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'd want some movement of air, especially with a graphics card. You could get a case with sound proofing, but you'd still want to leave your cabinet door open a bit. I'd say the cabinet itself blocks out a lot of noise.

What size are you thinking of? You're mentioning HTPC and the asrock vision - sounds like you want a small system but you mention gaming. You can get small cases with a graphics cards, but not that small.
    What about something this size?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UErpv_QEvD0

Edit: If it's 1-2 months, we're expecting new processors from AMD which will have quite powerful graphics - not matching high end cards but should be great for a compact and lower budget gaming systems.
    Edit 2: It's the successor to the A75 that you mentioned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭M00lers

How much space have you in the IKEA unit? I build a fairly decent gaming/HTPC in a Silverstone LC13E. I have it running really quiet which can be achieved with careful selection of parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Nice case - a lot larger than I was intending.
    However if I can use a TV sender or some other method of getting the signal to the TV without the box needing to be there then I could potentially place the unit where I have the cables from the dish entering the house, by an external wall and away from any other heat sources.

Seems like waiting a few months is advised though for the new AMD processors - thanks for the tip.
    That vid also linked to his build on the case: Made for an interesting viewing.
    How much space have you in the IKEA unit? I build a fairly decent gaming/HTPC in a Silverstone LC13E. I have it running really quiet which can be achieved with careful selection of parts.
    That was pretty much the size of case I was thinking of. Other was this: Thermaltake Element Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Actually there's another problem. You're asking for a graphics card, wireless card and capture card. You can get some of this stuff as USB, but realistically, you're going to need a larger motherboard than what fits into those small systems (i.e., mini-ITX which has only one PCI-E card slot). You'll need a micro-ATX (mATX) board which would be the size of a small desktop.

The only way around this is if AMD releases a mini-ITX board for Trinity (their upcoming APUs), which will save you from having a graphics card. By getting a USB wireless adapter, it leaves you to use the single slot that you get with mini-ITX board for the capture card.

Edit: Consider homeplugs instead of wireless.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/

Advertisement